Expansion of the universe

Discussions ranging from space technology, near-earth and solar system missions, to efforts to understand the large-scale structure of the cosmos.

Expansion of the universe

Postby Kwoodhouse on April 4th, 2018, 11:37 pm 

I'm curious about what the are current models to explain the expansion of the universe I have a few hypothesis of my own but I wouldn't be an expert in astrophysics so I cant say if my views would compare much in this field.
I'm a little confused about the way we know the universe is expanding, the evidence behind the reasoning mainly,like for example I've read we know the universe is expanding due to its effect on light waves it stretches them so they red shift the same way something moving away from us would and this is happening in all directions, but is this the only explanation for these findings how do we know light doesn't just lose energy as it passes through space or the gravity well of our galaxy doesn't pull and stretch out the light to red shift it. Are there other ways light is known to stretch.

My hypothesis are mainly questioning whether the universe itself is actually expanding or if its just one conclusion of many given the evidence. But I'd like to be corrected on any of these, have something explained I'm not considering or talk more about research that has been done or is being done to explain the expansion.

If anyone could link somewhere I could learn more, comment of an existing theory or has a hypothesis of their own I'd be grateful
Kwoodhouse
Forum Neophyte

Re: Expansion of the universe

Postby Watson on April 5th, 2018, 12:32 am 

There is a lot of information online and many discussions here on the topic. If you read up on some of the thoughts posted here in this section, or others and add your comments and questions, you can add to the conversational flow of the threads. It is a little tougher to get a new thread started without some degree of weighted knowledge.

Curious minds are always welcome.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Kwoodhouse on April 5th, 2018, 12:38 am 

Sorry I'm new and I haven't really used forums like this before but i'll do that thanks
Kwoodhouse
Forum Neophyte

Postby Watson on April 5th, 2018, 12:49 am 

No need to be sorry for being new here. But if you're Canadian, it is a reflective response. Good to know you.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Kwoodhouse on April 5th, 2018, 1:01 am 

I'm Irish but we throw out sorry a lot too haha, while your still lingering in this thread could you add anything to what I mentioned that might be worth discussing?
Kwoodhouse
Forum Neophyte

Postby BurtJordaan on April 5th, 2018, 3:58 am 

Hi Kwoodhouse, welcome to this forum. It is a good place to learn about the subject.

The Astro/Cosmo subforum is reserved for discussions of the mainstream scientific part of it, so it is not generally acceptable here to post an own hypothesis. I agree with Watson that you should read what's been said on this forum before (or in mainstream literature) and ask clarifications on any part of it. Just asking questions from an apparent vague understanding of the subject won't get much response.

If your desire is to shortcut the process and jump straight to your own hypothesis (never a good idea), we have a section called Personal Theories, where things are a lot more open.
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Kwoodhouse on April 5th, 2018, 7:02 pm 

My intention wasn't to just post my own theories I was just trying to get an idea of what the general consensus was on this the expansion of the universe and what is generally agreed upon & why and what is open to debate, as its a difficult area to find out more about without being part of the academia I tried searching for current threads on the topic. I don't really have much experience in forums or this forum so I didn't really know how to start but I thank you for your help in getting to understand the process. I want to respect the way you do things here so in the future I will do as you suggest.
Kwoodhouse
Forum Neophyte

Postby BurtJordaan on April 6th, 2018, 12:11 am 

KW, have you looked at the topics pinned to the top of the Astro/Cosmo section? Under the links you will find Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial. A very good place to start before asking to the point questions - it is a much better place than Wikipedia. General questions will typically get you referred to Wiki, but there you are never sure of the quality of the information.

Many people here understand the mainstream theory and evidence very well, but they do not have the time to write comprehensively about it.

PS: Ned's FAQ starts with very brief answers to many questions.
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby mitchellmckain on April 6th, 2018, 5:04 pm 

Kwoodhouse » April 4th, 2018, 10:37 pm wrote:I'm curious about what the are current models to explain the expansion of the universe I have a few hypothesis of my own but I wouldn't be an expert in astrophysics so I cant say if my views would compare much in this field.
I'm a little confused about the way we know the universe is expanding, the evidence behind the reasoning mainly,like for example I've read we know the universe is expanding due to its effect on light waves it stretches them so they red shift the same way something moving away from us would and this is happening in all directions, but is this the only explanation for these findings how do we know light doesn't just lose energy as it passes through space or the gravity well of our galaxy doesn't pull and stretch out the light to red shift it. Are there other ways light is known to stretch.

My hypothesis are mainly questioning whether the universe itself is actually expanding or if its just one conclusion of many given the evidence. But I'd like to be corrected on any of these, have something explained I'm not considering or talk more about research that has been done or is being done to explain the expansion.

If anyone could link somewhere I could learn more, comment of an existing theory or has a hypothesis of their own I'd be grateful

To tell the truth, it is possible that the universe is infinite and in that case it depends on what you mean by "expanding." The traditional used of the word as something getting bigger would not apply since something which is infinite does not get bigger. The GR physics use of the word however is quite different and not about the universe as a whole but what is happening to the measure of distances locally. In this usage, it means that things can get farther apart in a way that is not constrained by the speed of light.
mitchellmckain

Postby Kwoodhouse on April 6th, 2018, 10:02 pm 

BurtJordaan » April 6th, 2018, 5:11 am wrote:KW, have you looked at the topics pinned to the top of the Astro/Cosmo section? Under the links you will find Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial. A very good place to start before asking to the point questions - it is a much better place than Wikipedia. General questions will typically get you referred to Wiki, but there you are never sure of the quality of the information.

Many people here understand the mainstream theory and evidence very well, but they do not have the time to write comprehensively about it.

PS: Ned's FAQ starts with very brief answers to many questions.

Thanks for the links i'll check them out and see if I have any more in depth questions to ask
Kwoodhouse
Forum Neophyte

Return to Astronomy & Cosmology