Seeding moons or planets with life.

Discussions ranging from space technology, near-earth and solar system missions, to efforts to understand the large-scale structure of the cosmos.

Re: Seeding moons or planets with life.

Postby Biosapien on September 7th, 2018, 1:39 am 

Event Horizon » September 5th, 2018, 6:55 am wrote:Let's look at a simple reality. All life on Earth will dead. This is inevitable. We will need a new home.
Some people say, no. Life should be die out. Should that prevails, there is only futility and folly in our endeavours.
And who gave us the right to arbitrarily condemn what could be the only life in the universe to oblivion there is.
We can't terraform planets, but nature can. We need to prepare candidate planets which will take millions years to prepare, and some of those will fail.

At least using my way holds a chance for us and other organisms to survive.
The alternative is all life is condemned to die. To my mind, we can and should persue the development of alternatives, and a select by debate what organisms to freeze for deployment.
And just a nod to the nay-sayers I hear your "do nothing" cry, but I am fundamentally opposed.

Life may be the most precious thing tn the universe. Letting it all die for misguided or arbitrary reasons is neither reasonable or rational and offends me as a scientist.

I appreciate your thoughts on saving life and finding a new planet as HOME. I just want to ask you one simple question. Since you aware of death will you introduce a stranger (who is charming, young and good looking) to your wife as a new husband or to your children as a new father. The reason why I specifically ask this question is because after your death who is going to take care of them or safe their life.

"Moral of the story is don't try to act like a god". Every creature has its own limitation and being a human don't pollute and destroy this world with your new concepts/technology/science.
Biosapien

Postby Event Horizon on September 8th, 2018, 1:52 pm 

I understand. All I am saying is we have to make a choise. Do we attempt to find life a new home, or do we let it die.

If we decide to preserve what life we can, we have to start talking about it. We have to think in terms of effects we make and how long it would take to produce a habitable planet. Its long range planning that requires action now.

It's far from playing God. God has nothing to do with this. It's called saving "Gods'" ass if God is the metric.

Doing nothing condemns every last living thing to oblivion.
Event Horizon

Postby Biosapien on September 10th, 2018, 12:30 am 

Event Horizon » September 9th, 2018, 12:22 am wrote:I understand. All I am saying is we have to make a choise. Do we attempt to find life a new home, or do we let it die.

If we decide to preserve what life we can, we have to start talking about it. We have to think in terms of effects we make and how long it would take to produce a habitable planet. Its long range planning that requires action now.

It's far from playing God. God has nothing to do with this. It's called saving "Gods'" ass if God is the metric.

Doing nothing condemns every last living thing to oblivion.

"Good luck with your search" - Hope the planet you find as a HOME will not obliterate before earth.
Biosapien

Postby Event Horizon on September 12th, 2018, 7:02 pm 

People should take this seriously. It's not a theory. Its reality. It makes me sad that people are too selfish even to save themselves. Good luck y'all. You condemn your offspring. Glad you're cool with that.
Event Horizon

Postby Biosapien on January 25th, 2019, 1:49 am 

Event Horizon » September 5th, 2018, 6:55 am wrote:
Life may be the most precious thing tn the universe. Letting it all die for misguided or arbitrary reasons is neither reasonable or rational and offends me as a scientist.

As your a scientist, I do believe that your aware of the fact that the so called life or soul is nothing but an energy and we all know that energy cannot be created and nor be destroyed. Earth is like one single microbe or cell that lives on our body. We got whole lot of starts and planet out there, so even if earth has been obliterated life will exist with or without some physical form.
Biosapien

Postby Event Horizon on September 20th, 2019, 2:56 pm 

Your soul is merely your potential to exist, and maybe even exist again. There is no energy involved.
Event Horizon

Postby Biosapien on September 20th, 2019, 11:26 pm 

Event Horizon » September 21st, 2019, 1:26 am wrote:Your soul is merely your potential to exist, and maybe even exist again. There is no energy involved.

So that means your accepting even a rocks and other inanimate objects has a soul ?
Biosapien

Postby Serpent on September 21st, 2019, 12:34 am 

Event Horizon » September 4th, 2018, 7:25 pm wrote:Let's look at a simple reality. All life on Earth will dead. This is inevitable. We will need a new home.

I'm very likely to die on this planet. You are very likely to die on this planet. What "we" is going to Titan?
Some people say, no. Life should be die out. Should that prevails, there is only futility and folly in our endeavours.

That's already true of every individual who has done more harm than good in his/her/its natural lifespan. It would continue to be true on any number of other worlds.
And who gave us the right to arbitrarily condemn what could be the only life in the universe to oblivion there is.

The same "who" who gave you permission to promulgate it.
The alternative is all life is condemned to die.

Only IF this is the only planet in the entire universe to have life on it. Improbable. If so, it's an anomaly of the highest order; in fact, given the size of the universe, a bizarre, even grotesque anomaly.
And ---- so what?
Life may be the most precious thing tn the universe.

In what value-system?
Letting it all die for misguided or arbitrary reasons is neither reasonable or rational and offends me as a scientist.

misguided arbitrary offends me
Sounds kinda personal. Emotional. Arbitrary. Irrational.
So here's the choice:
Live your life and let the universe do its thing.
or
Try to replace the natural course of events with some artificial intervention.

I'm betting on the universe.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on September 24th, 2019, 8:45 pm 

It seems we have a different take on the value of life. All life, not just now, but in the future too is too much of a concern best not left to nature.
Life is going to undergo an irreversible mass extinction event which is already well underway.

We don't have much time to go through semantic contortions.
Serpent, don't mistake emotion for being a bad thing. Its a bit of a Victotian attitude really.
Event Horizon

Postby SciameriKen on September 25th, 2019, 11:11 am 

The Universe is predicted to win - expanding, contracting, stable doesn't matter life dies in all scenarios. I see that there is nothing to lose by fighting against it - let's populate the dying Universe - time kills all, but als ok the ample time gives us the opportunity to leave this Universe and win the battle for existence! GO humans!!!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on September 25th, 2019, 4:18 pm 

Event Horizon » September 24th, 2019, 7:45 pm wrote:It seems we have a different take on the value of life.

If life is valuable to the universe, it's not limited to this little scrap of matter. If life is valuable to the universe, there are lots and lots of other examples of life. You choice is really between living within your means and capabilities or becoming an invasive species - a threat to other life forms.

All life, not just now, but in the future too is too much of a concern best not left to nature.

Read that line aloud. Can you hear the absurdity?

Life is going to undergo an irreversible mass extinction event which is already well underway.
The sixth in a series of we-don't-know-how-many on this one obscure planet alone. In the universe, there must be hundred of millions of extinctions going on at any given moment. So?
That is the nature of life.

We don't have much time to go through semantic contortions.
Serpent, don't mistake emotion for being a bad thing. Its a bit of a Victotian attitude really.

It's a scientific attitude. You ain't gonna do no seeding on sentiment alone!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Biosapien on October 3rd, 2019, 11:57 pm 

[quote="Event Horizon » September 25th, 2019, 7:15 am"]It seems we have a different take on the value of life. All life, not just now, but in the future too is too much of a concern best not left to nature. quote]

Don't try to act like an arcane because the mere knowledge you possess it's only from the macroscopic observation. So please stop envisaging because you or me not the one who created this earth in the first place.

"Instead of seeding moons or planets with life - could you guide us on how to convert the deserts into a fertile land"?
Biosapien

Postby Serpent on October 4th, 2019, 10:48 am 

If our track record on the care of this one planet is an indicator -
and it is the only indicator -
are we really the species best qualified to nurture life on other planets?
Serpent
Resident Member

TheVat liked this post

Postby TheVat on October 4th, 2019, 1:20 pm 

Only if there's a mass die-off of humans that is due to our resource-intensive, high-fecundity, high-carbon, high-lethal-chemical, exploitative, growth-obsessed lifestyle. In that case, those who survive might have the lessons of that event so deeply imprinted on their character and culture that they would develop a more nurturing approach to ecosystems. But a new and better track record would have to persist on Earth here for quite a while before we would be exporting it to other planetary systems.

Technophilia, originally a good thing (looms are just better than spinning wheels and free lots of people up to do more interesting things), became almost pathological so that now we have people, say, using a roaring gas-powered machine to move the leaves off their yards and driveways. Rakes and brooms worked great and provided an essential component of physical activity to human life. They were an "end technology" (is that the term I'm searching for?) in that you really don't need anything more complex to do the job at hand well. Innovating beyond them is pointless. And usually creates things that are LESS good for human health and enjoyment of a beautiful autumn day. Societies where transport is innovated at the level of pedal-powered vehicles are societies where there is less need for innovation in heart surgery and complex pharmaceutical regimens. We've lost our common sense about where innovation does the most good.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Biosapien liked this post

Postby Serpent on October 4th, 2019, 3:55 pm 

Only if there's a mass die-off of humans

I take that as inevitable.

The remnant human population will be too busy for a very long time after the collapse to pose a threat to any other planet. Also, of course, the large-scale technologies and their energy sources will collapse along with the civilization that maintains them, so the survivors will have no means of leaving Earth.
However, the information will be available, as well as the necessary material for re-habilitating the planet: we already have and are constantly adding to secure long-term data, gene and seed storage vaults.

I wholeheartedly agree about leaf-blowers, and we're not alone https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/leafbowers-scourge-humanity.html
but I'm tempted to pick a little bone over looms. (I kind of owe it to my late mother, talented hand-weaver whose craft is deemed worthless.)

Mechanical looms are only needed for factory-scaled mass production and consumption. How much fabric - and don't forget all the imperishable man-made fibrein it - is churning up oceans as it's conveyed from Asia to America, glutting the far-too-many retail outlets, stifling local craft markets and clogging up the landfills? How much fabric do we need?

Make things locally, simply, with skill and love; make them beautiful, wholesome, durable and cherished.
Serpent
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Cosmology