Activation Energy/Energy Released?

Discussions related to engineering and its applications. From civil and mechanical to aeronautic and robotics, etc.

Activation Energy/Energy Released?

Postby PhotonGuy on October 23rd, 2014, 8:48 pm 

In order to have a chemical reaction, there is a certain amount of energy needed to start the reaction. For gasoline to burn it needs a spark from the spark plug, for coal to burn it requires a flame to start it, for a gun to fire the gunpowder or propellant needs to be ignited by the primer, ect. The energy required to start the chemical reaction, the spark from the spark plug or the lit match applied to the coal is called the "Activation Energy." Now, when the reaction occurs energy is produced. As gasoline burns it produces heat and pressure which pushes the piston down and sends the car forward, when coal burns it gives off heat and light, ect. The energy produced from a chemical reaction I believe is called the "Energy Released," but I just want to clarify. The energy that pushes the piston down in a gasoline engine, the energy that sends the bullet out of the gun as the propellant goes off, the heat and light given off by burning coal, if Im correct is called the "Energy Released," I just want to make sure.
PhotonGuy

Re: Activation Energy/Energy Released?

Postby BurtJordaan on October 24th, 2014, 9:10 am 

Yes, according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_energy:

"Energy that can be released (or absorbed) because of a reaction between a set of chemical substances is equal to the difference between the energy content of the products and the reactants. This change in energy is change in internal energy of a chemical reaction."

--
Regards
Jorrie
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Engineering & Electronics