Two books that influenced me.

Recommend, review, discuss and share books, podcasts, videos and links to philosophy and related resources.

Two books that influenced me.

Postby Event Horizon on March 10th, 2018, 12:33 pm 

Book one comes from when I was at university and doing some supplemental reading. The book was a study mission to the Galapagos islands where the researchers were looking at how altering conditions forced the population of finches there. It's a book about the evolution of the birds. It's an easy read about the empirical study of evolution in action. Anybody in biology would benefit from this book as supplemental reading I think. The book was "The beak of the finch" but I cannot recall the author

Another book that became a real treasure was Bill Bryson's "A short history of nearly everything" If you want a beautifully crafted book that explains how and why the universe functions as it does, without the use of complicated math or jargon, you could do a lot worse than giving it a read. It really helped crystallise what I thought I knew, and other things I wasn't very familliar with. It is another book that does not assume prior knowledge. For a travel writer of high repute, this was a bit of a departure, but don't let that put you off. This is a highly enjoyable book that I think should be required reading in high-schools.
Event Horizon

Re: Two books that influenced me.

Postby Serpent on March 10th, 2018, 5:42 pm 

In my late teens, I picked up
King Solomon's Ring http://theblackletters.net/king-solomons-ring-by-konrad-lorenz-1949-e/

by Konrad Lorenz. He reassured me that I was not crazy or wrong to know what I knew about other animals, and then taught me a lot about why they behave the way they do. A later book, Behind the Mirror is also invaluable. It doesn't hurt that he had a very engaging style. He's in my pantheon, alongside Kurt Vonnegut and Jane Jacobs, I read
The Economy of Cities https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-economy-of-cities-by-jane-jacobs/
shortly after moving to Toronto. It certainly opened my eyes to the new environment.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Books, Media & Internet Resources