Jean Paul Sartre's writing!!!!

Recommend, review, discuss and share books, podcasts, videos and links to philosophy and related resources.

Jean Paul Sartre's writing!!!!

Postby HigherLvlofThinking on May 13th, 2012, 10:55 pm 

What do you guys consider his best works? and and since were on the subject what is your favorite philosophy book or work?
HigherLvlofThinking

Re: Jean Paul Sartre's writing!!!!

Postby stuartp523 on August 20th, 2012, 6:53 pm 

The answer to both your questions is "Being and Nothingness".
stuartp523
Banned User

Postby Rivotril on October 7th, 2012, 11:45 pm 

he is a great writer. My favorite novel is Nausea, very philosophycal and all. But, in fact, I prefer Houellebecq, called the first literary french superstar since Sartre. You should read Les Particules elementaires (i dont know whats the name in english, sorry!)
Rivotril
Forum Neophyte

Postby stuartp523 on October 8th, 2012, 12:23 am 

Hi, Rivotril. So this is you first post, welcome to pcf. I just looked Houellebecq up, he sounds interesting. Would you mind describing the book Les Particules elementaires?
stuartp523
Banned User

Postby Gregorygregg1 on October 8th, 2012, 3:16 am 

HigherLvlofThinking wrote:What do you guys consider his best works? and and since were on the subject what is your favorite philosophy book or work?

"Being and Nothingness" is purported to be his best. I couldn't force myself past page 60. actually the pain began almost on page 1. Jean Paul was a literary sadist. After I gave up on B&N, I was able to breeze through Hermann Hesse and Dostoyevsky like I was reading "the Little Prince". For philosophical works, you can't beat the plays of Shakespeare.
Gregorygregg1
Resident Member

Postby stuartp523 on October 8th, 2012, 11:20 am 

I said else where that it took me about 5 times reading B&N through to understand it, but I enjoyed every second of it. I was very casual about it. I suppose it would be torture if you actually felt you needed to get something out of it quicky for a practical reason.
stuartp523
Banned User

Return to Books, Media & Internet Resources