Science Unfettered - opinions?

Recommend, review, discuss and share books, podcasts, videos and links to philosophy and related resources.

Science Unfettered - opinions?

Postby Percarus on May 12th, 2013, 12:12 pm 

I have recently bought a new book, still encased in plastic and brand new (a bargain on the old stockpile at the shop). It is called ‘Science Unfettered’ by J. E. McGuire & Barbara Tuchanska. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with it as I do not have it within my priority to read a new book anytime soon – I also have another one pending completion on some fun science trivial facts. The book synopsis is as follows:

Working on a large canvas, Science Unfettered contributes to the ongoing debates in philosophy of science. The ambitious aim of its authors is to reconceptualise the orientation of the subject, and to provide a new framework for understanding science as a human activity. Mobilizing the literature of the philosophy of science, the history of science, the sociology of science, and philosophy in general, McGuire and Tuchanska build on these fields with the view of transforming their insights into a new epistemological and ontological basis for studying the enterprise of science. Their study invests an entrenched view of human practice and how it interrelates with the world. Instead of starting with the world’s existence and asking how language represents it, they start with human practice and ask how the world reveals itself in it. ...

It seems like a very boring intellectual read so unless someone has heard of the book before I am not likely to read it for a long time. My understanding is that it portrays science ontologically as a ‘practice’. Well, I needed another book on my shelf, it was on special, but maybe someday I will read it. Thoughts?
Percarus

Re: Science Unfettered - opinions?

Postby Forest_Dump on May 12th, 2013, 12:25 pm 

Sounds interesting to me.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Return to Books, Media & Internet Resources