"America The Philosophical"

Recommend, review, discuss and share books, podcasts, videos and links to philosophy and related resources.

"America The Philosophical"

Postby airth10 on February 11th, 2014, 12:46 pm 

I have not read America The Philosophical by Carlin Romano. But I read a review of it by Peter Caws, a British American philosopher, who scoffs at the idea that America is philosophical.

I am thinking he is of a certain British character that only sees the crassness of America and thus can't see beyond his own bias, which can't see that it is really a hive of philosophical activity and experimentation. American is more philosophical than he thinks, perhaps the most philosophical nation in the world. Why he doesn't see this is because it is of an operational, gritty kind, not of the ivory tower nature he is accustomed to.
airth10
Forum Neophyte

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: "America The Philosophical"

Postby airth10 on February 23rd, 2014, 1:53 pm 

I just bought "America The Philosophical" by Carlin Romano. One thing that dawned on me as I started reading it is that an important part of philosophy is about framing ideas so that they are comprehensible and can be put into practice. America has excelled in this area of philosophy, something that scoffers of America being philosophical don't understand.
airth10
Forum Neophyte

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Books, Media & Internet Resources