STAR TREK (Free Webseries Episodes)

Recommend, review, discuss and share books, podcasts, videos and links to philosophy and related resources.

STAR TREK (Free Webseries Episodes)

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 5:48 pm 

Ok, as a gift to my fellow Star Trek fans, allow me to clue you in to something that I myself didn't know about until a year ago: there are not one but several fan organizations that are currently filming FREE unofficial episodes of Star Trek, and you can watch them unedited and uncut on the web, completely free of charge, without commercials or any form of registration. All of these groups are self funded (through donations), and are driven purely by a fan-driven labor of love and an outpouring of creativity, which they are gifting back to the community from whence they themselves emerged.

As of this writing, I have 2 series to recommend (more will follow as I find and watch them):

Star Trek Continues: A web series that is attempting to complete the final 2 years of the original 1960's era Star Trek TV series (which was cancelled prematurely after only 3 of its planned "5 year mission"). As of this writing, three episodes have been released, and a 4th is in post production. To watch them, simply click on the link I provided, then click on the episodes tab, and enjoy. I loved them ... they're delightful, nostalgic and entertaining, just like the original series that started it all. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Axanar: This is a bigger budget & decidedly more serious production. The material involves a prequel about war that occurred just prior to the original TV series ... the "Four Years War" between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the decisive battle of which was fought at Axanar, by Garth of Izar, whom we met in the episode "Whom Gods Destroy". The first kickstarter funded the completion of a thrilling 21 min prelude titled "Prelude to Axanar", which was shot as a documentary about the leadup to the war. Efforts to fund a full-length feature film covering the war itself are currently underway, but the pelude is in the can, and can be watched for free.

So, watch, enjoy, bookmark, and by all means donate to help support more such content.
Last edited by Braininvat on March 12th, 2015, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct title of ST:OS episode with shapeshifting Capt. Garth
Darby

Dave_CFaradavemsklystron and one more user liked this post

Re: STAR TREK (Free Webseries Episodes)

Postby zetreque on March 10th, 2015, 6:42 pm 

I found out about these series only about 3 months ago when star trek continues had a kirkstarter (kickstarter)

They funded both of their sets of episodes through just over 100,000 raised on kickstarter. Looking at the level donations... Star Trek fans have a lot of money to donate!!

There is another fan based one like star trek continues but wasn't as good IMO. I don't think I heard of Axanar. I'll look into it when I have more time. Thanks

I actually have a whole other post for a different topic in a different category on this forum half-directly related to this. Not sure when I'll have time to submit it. It's saved on here in draft.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 6:46 pm 

There's also a very well made LOTR prequel, but it didnt seem relevant to the theme of this site, so I didn't post it.
Darby

Postby zetreque on March 10th, 2015, 6:48 pm 

Darby » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 pm wrote:There's also a very well made LOTR prequel, but it didnt seem relevant to the theme of this site, so I didn't post it.

I'm really not a fan of LOTR, so I hope this thread doesn't go in that direction or I may unsubscribe or split it to a different thread. :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 6:58 pm 

More on Axanar ... the backstory, and how it relates to me personally.

Although it is true that the the central character, Garth of Izar appears in the original TV series, and a passing reference is made to his brilliance at the Battle of Axanar, the Four Years War it is a part of is actually loosely based on historical events mentioned in a pair of out of print role playing game supplements called the Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, and the Star Trek Roleplaying Game, by FASA Corporation, both of which I own copies of and played extensively with my old SciFi club back in the 1990's. I had numerous ship captains for the former, of many races, but for the latter I was most often the Chief Science Officer, and (less frequently) an undercover agent for Section 31's technology acquisition division who served as Backup Science Officer. Fun times.
Darby

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 7:47 pm 

I look forward to hearing people's reactions to these episodes. Please feel encouraged to post as you watch them.

I just finished rewatching STC Episode 1 (a sequel to "Who Mourns for Adonais?", and guest starring the same actor who played Apollo in the original episode), and Episode 3 (a sequel to "Mirror Mirror", which features a guest appearance of the original Galileo 7 shuttlecraft, which is on display at NASA). Both are very enjoyable. BTW, there's a minor continuity glitch in the writing of Ep 3, but only a hardscore nerdy fan of the original series will catch it, and yes, that's a challenge to anyone who wants to pick up the gauntlet. Hint: it concerns Captain Kirk commanding a crewman to override the helm towards the end of the episode.

Episode 2 is an entirely original story, rather than a sequel, and guest stars Lou Ferrigno. He's a great guy (I met him at a comicon once), but I've always had trouble with his diction ... aside from that minor nit, it's a great episode.
Darby

Postby Braininvat on March 12th, 2015, 12:14 pm 

Will mos def post on these webisodes, when I get time. The original Apollo (last seen fading into the wind) returns? How cool! Laws of entropy defied! Now I'm wondering if the short guy survived (hey, they're telekinetic, why do they need HIM to move the chess pieces around! someone call a labor relations attorney!) and hoping that Colin Farrell's "midget" rant in "In Bruges" is incorrect regarding early mortality of little actors.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Darby on March 12th, 2015, 1:04 pm 

I look forward to discussing them ... STC in particular !

Although the style is deliberately consistent with the light heartedness of the original series, and some of the acting is a little weak in places (re: grant imahara), their love of (and reverence for) the original source material clearly shines though, and they managed to capture some real poignant moments that I find endearing and which have great re-watch value ... something that a lot of modern TV shows lack.
Darby

Postby Darby on March 13th, 2015, 8:26 pm 

Ok, my wife's not home yet, and my inner geek is barking up a storm and demanding attention, so the subject of today's geek Soliloquy is STUNT CASTING.

Going back to Star Trek Continues, the writer of the series (who also plays Capt. Kirk) clearly grew up watching the same SciFi classics of the 60's, 70's & 80's that I did, so I feel like we're on the same wavelength.

Ep 2 (Lolani): as mentioned in a prior post, the lead guest star is Lou Ferrigno, and his presence on the show is a classic example of stunt casting. Why ? Dude, it's the green body paint ! Back in the 1970's he starred as the iconic green skinned Incredible Hulk. I almost sprayed my soda laughing and applauding when he stepped off the transporter pad in Ep 2 as the hulking green skinned Orion slave trader. Oh man. That was almost as big of a stunt cast as Marvel scoring Robert Downey Jr (a spoiled wise-cracking alcoholic narcissist cutup in real life) for Iron Man (a spoiled alcoholic wise-cracking playboy in the comic books).

Oh, and in a secondary stunt casting note, the strong willed female Starfleet Admiral that Kirk consults with via subspace is none other than Erin Grey, who played Colonel Wilma Deering on Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Back in 1979 it was still pretty rare for a woman to be cast as a Colonel in a TV role. As a footnote, she auditioned for the role of Capt. Janeway in Star Trek Voyager, but Kate Mulgrew got the role (probably because of her resemblance to Kate Hepburn).

Ok, on to Axanar ...

Casting Tony Todd as Admiral Ramirez was a bit of stunt casting too. Why ? Because as the leader of the Federation, it fell to him to give all the great bombastic rallying speeches that helped turn the tide of the war and galvanize the drive to ultimate victory ... and the fact that he'd previously guest starred on both Star Trek The Next Generation and Star Trek Deep Space Nine as the tall (6' 5") dark and menacing Captain Kurn (Worf's full-blooded klingon brother), made it a matter of pure irony. He was even better known as lead unkillable baddie in The Candyman horror movie series. Listen to his speech in Pelude to Axanar (time index 08:30), and tell me you dont feel a thrill run down your spine, and I will call you a liar ... he's awesome in that role.
Darby

Postby Braininvat on March 14th, 2015, 10:47 am 

I am delighted when stunt casting works, deepens character resonance without unduly distracting by a "meta" moment. Amy Acker cast in Person of Interest - at first, it seemed like a nod to Whedonites, but then she became a terrific character. And Debbie Harry in "Videodrome" was one of the best SCings of the 80s.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Dave_C on March 14th, 2015, 3:23 pm 

Terrific post Darby! Thanks for that.

I watched the "Star Trek Continues" episodes last summer. Really liked that one. I'll have to check out the other series now. Hadn't heard of that one.
Dave_C

Postby Darby on March 17th, 2015, 12:39 am 

You're very welcome, Dave. :)

Since I cant sleep, I'll post the solution to this:

BTW, there's a minor continuity glitch in the writing of Ep 3, but only a hardscore nerdy fan of the original series will catch it, and yes, that's a challenge to anyone who wants to pick up the gauntlet. Hint: it concerns Captain Kirk commanding a crewman to override the helm towards the end of the episode.

Minor correction to above quote: he asked the helmswoman to set a course using the vacant Nav station.

At time index 25:00, and with Chekov under arrest, the evil Kirk has a tantrum about Chekov's alternate not showing up to man the Nav/Tactical station during an engagement. The clear impression given to the viewers is that Kirk can't man the station himself, and must rely on the missing crewman to do it.

The problem is that in the original series episode Obsession, we learn that Kirk had been previously posted to the U.S.S. Farragut under Capt. Garrovick, where he served as Nav/Tactical officer (d'oh). The writer of STC Ep 3 was clearly unaware of that, otherwise he'd have had Kirk simply sit down at Nav/Tac and verify for himself that the controls were overridden by Aux Control. In addition, all bridge officers are required to have basic familiarity (and minimal competence) with manning all the other stations on the bridge, and are cross-trained accordingly in officer school.

Ok, that's today's tidbit of Trek trivia.
Darby

Postby zetreque on March 18th, 2015, 9:36 pm 

Just watched

"Axanar - Prelude to Axanar - Full Film"

I don't really get it. I didn't like it. This feels like star trek turned into some shitty reality tv show interview or something. It's like bad drama. lol

The things that soval say in this doesn't seem like things he would ever say.

I think star trek continues is the best fan made one so far.

star trek phase2 was just toooo cheesy with bad acting and bad dialog.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Darby on March 19th, 2015, 12:51 am 

zetreque » March 18th, 2015, 9:36 pm wrote:Just watched

"Axanar - Prelude to Axanar - Full Film"

I don't really get it. I didn't like it. This feels like star trek turned into some shitty reality tv show interview or something. It's like bad drama. lol

First, a brief aside: I've been dabbling in reviewing for some time now, and I have to confess that I've never really understood why some people who admit to not getting/understanding something will then proceed to trash it anyway. Meanwhile, I'm happy to try to help with the 'getting it' part.

As mentioned in the OP, the "Prelude" phase of this project is just that ... a short innovative teaser, directed at Star Trek fans, to help drum up interest and fundraising to film a full length movie.

Movie teasers have already been done to death, so I found the approach of filming this one as a historical documentary (in the form of several retrospective interviews) about the leadup to the war to be refreshingly creative, and I thought they did an outstanding job of it, given that it was done on a shoestring budget, and many of the people involved worked for FREE simply because they love the genre. The forthcoming feature length movie (that prelude serves as a fundraising ad for) will be shot in the more traditional third person action adventure format.

The things that soval say in this doesn't seem like things he would ever say.

I disagree for two reasons. First, the obligatory reminder that Vulcans are NOT unemotional - they've learned to master and control their emotions, but the doing away with them entirely is a separate discipline that only a tiny minority of Vulcans attempt, much less achieve, and Soval was not one of them. Second, what would you have him say instead in a retrospective analysis about a pivotal (and emotionally charged) historical turning point in the history of an emotional race ? I think the writer did a decent job there, while satisfying the twin needs of concision and adding some vulcan perspective by someone who was present throughout the formative years of the Earth-Vulcan relationship. It HAD to be Soval.

As for Star Trek Phase 2, I havent watched it yet. I'll post when I feel like I've 'gotten it' enough to comment.
Darby

Postby zetreque on March 19th, 2015, 1:07 am 

I have liked every single star trek show and movie from enterprise to voyager, but I didn't like Axanar at all, sorry. (and since it isn't actual star trek, I'm not too worried about it, lol)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Darby on March 19th, 2015, 9:12 am 

It's apples and oranges, friend ... not everyone is fated to like both.

I suppose I'm more stoked than most on Axanar because of my prior love of the FASA STSTCS, back in the paper and dice era of the 1990's. That's pretty deep into the bone crushing permadark zone of the great Geek ocean, so that sorta pegs me as being far from unbiased.
Darby

Postby Darby on August 24th, 2015, 6:30 pm 

I cobbled together a few playlists on Youtube containing more Star Trek fanfic videos:

> Star Trek New Voyages (TOS) - 15 episodes, both full lengths and shorts

> Star Trek Intrepid - 8 videos

> Star Trek FanFic (Misc) - including Star Trek Renegades (2 films) & Star Ship Exeter (6 eps)

Oh, and for my own convenience, I also cobbled together a list of all the old Animated Flash Gordon episodes from 1979-1982, only the first one of which (1979) is still worth watching. Season 1 is just a padded recut, and season 2 is crap.
Darby

Postby Darby on August 24th, 2015, 8:22 pm 

Just watched "Of Gods and Men" by Renegades ... the camera work and FX was a little weak, but the overall plot was surprisingly solid and well done, and offered some great tie ins with "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "The Guardian of Forever". Lots of all star cameos from TOS, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise and the ST Movies too. Very enjoyable ... 90 mins of good viewing, well spent.
Darby

Postby Watson on August 25th, 2015, 8:15 pm 

I just watched the next one, out of order and lots of familiar faces, even if it is not as polished. Thanks Darby. I think I hearing Nelix now.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Darby on August 25th, 2015, 9:06 pm 

I just watched it too, and I think the first one (Gods & Men) was better written. BTW, it took me a while to figure out who the green orion woman was, then it clicked ... the actress who played lyta on DS9.
Darby

Postby Darby on August 25th, 2015, 10:53 pm 

Just watched "To Serve All My Days" (New Voyages) ... very good. Solid writing, and surprisingly good special effects. Well worth watching.
Darby

Return to Books, Media & Internet Resources