Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Anthropology, History, Psychology, Sociology and other related areas.

Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 25th, 2017, 11:03 pm 

Let's use China as a kind of case study here in order to see how patriarchy is affected or affects things as a society moves from an agricultural to a more automated industrial society:

UN Report: Gender Equality in China's Economic Transformation
October 2014
China experienced the transformation from a planned economy to a market economy, from an agricultural society to an industrial society. China’s economic reform process led to rapid and continuous economic growth. Personal income and living standards were raised, bringing women unprecedented development opportunities. However, at the same time that a market economy has brought reform and economic growth, it also exacerbated social polarization and the gap between rich and poor. Women are placed in a disadvantaged position in the market economy because of traditional social division of labor and their dual burden of work and family.
[...]
Since the founding of the People’s Republic of China, the Chinese government regarded the increase of women’s labor force participation as an important measure of gender equality and the improvement of women’s status. As a result, the Chinese women’s labor force participation rate was higher than that of most other countries at the time (United Nations, 2000). Yet, since the market-oriented economic reform, Chinese women’s labor force participation rate has declined.
[...]
Many factors contribute to the decline of the female labor force participation rate in China. First, it is influenced by state policies and social environment. Second, it is influenced by the income gap between husband and wife. Third, housework and family care also contribute to decline of women’s labor force participation. Fourth, the women’s labor force participation rate is largely influenced by women’s educational attainment.
[...]
After the founding of the PRC, families in China have evolved from the kinship tie centered, a patriarchal and male dominated pattern in an agriculture society, to the modern nuclear family pattern where the husband and the wife share equal rights inside the family (Ding, 2001). Gender equality advocated by the government has promoted equal participation of urban women in social production and activities, to a large extent. Although traditional gender stereotypes still applied, the social welfare policies and public services provided by the government through the work units largely offset the dual burden of work and family bore by Chinese urban women (Liu et al., 2008).

We see something similar occurring in India also:

IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Science: Globalization and Gender Inequality- An Agricultural Perspective
Volume 19, Issue 3, Ver. VII (Mar. 2014), PP 08-13
...according to Ramgopal Singh, ''Globalization has made the thinking of women broader and modern'' The speed dynamism of women have increased which involves political participation of women. Women are now interested in power and wealth. Globalization has given market to the produce of unorganized women labours. It has also increased opportunities to them. It means women are now empowered in the villages and they are now not dependent on men such psychological thinking is observed. Alwins has studied the gender inequality in USA. He says that women need to be given knowledge of modern technology in order to improve agriculture. But, in the process of globalization women are dropped from the training of modern technology and men are getting at the centre. Consequently, women spend most of their time in taking care of family (Leeder 2004:131). Such condition is observed in both developed and developing countries. Rural farmers and agricultural women labourers are some extent getting released from family, economic, social and cultural restrictions and become the source of economic earning in rural families. However, this economic earning is spent not by them but by the others. Therefore, Mohammad Yunus established Self Help Group at Chittagong in 1983 in Bangladesh. Self Help Groups were started in India in 1991. There were more than 250 self help groups in India. The movement has accelerated since 1998 which has freed people from the clutches of private moneylenders. Now days Banks and co-operative bodies are providing assistance to SHG. It is because if women are empowered, then they can get respect in society. Besides, it is backward to keep women undeveloped in the process of globalization. Hence, women self help groups are working collectively.


And the automation of all things agricultural, and thus apparently patriarchal (from a basic socio-economical perspective), continues onwards:

Meet your new cobot: is a machine coming for your job?
The Guardian, 25 November 2017
In partnership with a British firm called Oxbotica, Ocado has trialled driverless delivery vans, which earlier this year did two-mile loops around Greenwich in south London. Together with the Disney corporation, the company is involved in robotics work aimed at approximating the dexterity of the human hand – trying to crack the same problem Amazon has: how to automate the job of picking, particularly fruit and vegetables, without causing damage. Its robotics teams have worked on a suction-based picking robot that can move tins, boxes and other products that have a uniform shape. “It uses a camera to look into the bin and figure out what and where to pick, and then where to place it,” Voica says. “It can do part of our range, and it’s ready to be deployed.”


So what does this mean for traditional patriarchal outlooks within societies across the globe as these long-standing socio-economic realities are shattered by the evolution of increasingly elegant automated solutions?

In particular, it seems that religions, for example, that emphasise patriarchal authority, will be undermined by such advancements - and that in itself will be a huge global revolution, it seems. Of course, the patriarchal beneficiaries will likely try to hold on to their power for as long as possible, but at some point the raw economic truth of the matter will speak for itself.

What do you think?
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby wolfhnd on November 26th, 2017, 2:56 am 

I think social structures are far more complicated than people realize. It isn't surprising that the sociological studies have dismal reproducibility to the point that the whole field of study seems corrupt. People working from the paradigm that hierarchies are "bad" may be confused.
User avatar
wolfhnd
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4333
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 26th, 2017, 3:09 am 

This is an interesting topic, but one hard to get a clear handle on. Too many avenues of attack here!

I would firstly like to bring up something of Marx (not Marxism). That is the the need for people to be "valued". Many jobs being lost to robotics tend toward skilled, but repetitive jobs. Sadly there are a great number of people out there that are suited to these kinds of jobs.

The loss of the need for drivers will effectively turn a driver into a babysitter for a robots. I am sure that even these will be phased out and that fleets of vehicles will simply be "tended to" by a trained and skilled worker who is intelligent enough to understand how to repair and maintain the vehicles. Sadly, again, some people are simply not bright enough to become engineers so in the near future (esp. in the west) we're going to be cutting a large section of the population off from productive employment. I don't think I need to point out that this is already a problem with the most menial jobs of today requiring, at best, an IQ above 80-85 mark!

As a threat to "patriarchal society"? No way. I just don't see it like that. The empowerment of women will compliment society not overthrow the current order of things (look to scandanavia for the most equality between the sexes and you'll not see much conflict other than that induced by outside influences - please argue this point!)

The problem here then seems to be "automation" not any foreseeable decline of the patriarchy.

What we've seen in China and India, and globally, is more and more economic equality. From the top end of the scale (the western world) I can see many people seeing a "western decline", but the truth is more likely to be that the void previously before the eyes of the rest of the world that liad between them and the poverty line has been drastically reduced. The comfort of western society has been one of immeasureable comfort.

I watched a TV programme yesterday from the UK and the adverts were included ... I have not seen that kind of thing for 6 years and it was clear as day that the greater expense had been put into the adverts than the show. What is more ALL the ads were primed toward food consumption or sofas. It was a very disturbing image of western society and made me realise that I laugh at ads in a foreign tongue, but this reminder of their effect was brought home seeing ads spoken in my language and in my "British English". I cannot quite describe how disturbed it made me feel and I cannot quite express what is was that made me feel so utterly repulsed ... no doubt this will be something I'll have to look into over the next few months or years (it really hit me that hard!)

I think this, and what is being grought up in the OP, is generally something to do with "hyperreality". In this sense the whole political platform has been shifted into a space that has no real grounding. We can see more and more that governmental power has been reduced.

I am concerned when you say "patriarchal beneficiaries", because I have no real idea who you're talking about? Are you suggesting men want inequality? Let us not forget that modern empowerment of women was not a task set to by women alone (if it was they'd have failed! That is simply a matter of physical might.) I do think, the west at least, is slipping into a very polarized political area. It is starting to seem like reason has escaped and that everyone wishes to play the victim rather than risk themselves in the face of the mob mentality. What is more if men are put out of work what do you think they will do? They will turn to any avenue open to them in times of despair, and be sure they WILL NOT be able to find productive work, they WILL NOT be ecomonically viable.

In summation we're likely to end up with a disillusioned populace of males ready to fight for any or every cause in order to gain some kind of ecomonic foothold. Thing smay get very dirty, very quickly because they will be intelligent to fight in wars, but not bright enough to find any other form of employment. Thay may effectively be the real living dead that kills of modern civilization. If certain people are right about cultural art painting a picture of the future then the west, as we know it, is done for.

Solutions:

1) A way to increase IQ. Currently impossible but we could at least better education so more people can maintain their IQ rather than needlessly lose it due to diet and social environment - enrich more human lives. Or incorporate people with lower IQ into robotics industry (In a capitialistic climate I imagine this would be a more likely scenario even if it is a rather disturbing one being completely uncharted territory.)
2) Corporations taking over state rule openly.
3) Global social reform (because capitalism will kill us.)
4) Wait for a genius to pop up and create the revolution we need to avoid self-destruction - or simply a rdturn to the dark ages.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 26th, 2017, 7:36 am 

wolfhnd » November 26th, 2017, 3:56 pm wrote:People working from the paradigm that hierarchies are "bad" may be confused.

There can be practical hierarchies, like parent-child, or boss-employee, but gender inequality tends to penetrate every aspect of life.
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 26th, 2017, 7:44 am 

Moss -

I don't consider gender inequality to be a major issue in western societies. It's not perfect though and some countries have more work to do than others.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 26th, 2017, 7:48 am 

BadgerJelly » November 26th, 2017, 4:09 pm wrote:As a threat to "patriarchal society"? No way. I just don't see it like that. The empowerment of women will compliment society not overthrow the current order of things (look to scandanavia for the most equality between the sexes and you'll not see much conflict other than that induced by outside influences - please argue this point!)

I will do, if you could please provide a link to a source for your argument.

The problem here then seems to be "automation" not any foreseeable decline of the patriarchy.
This is being discussed elsewhere on the forum though.

I'd like to specifically address the idea that automation erodes the socio-economic foundations of traditional patriarchal cultures, and thus will threaten any other cultural phenomena that traditionally 'rely' on patriarchy - like religious institutions, for example. Already in Britain there are female Christian priests, but one would be hard-pressed to find their equivalent in, say, Africa.

I am also writing all of this here under the assumption that you are aware that patriarchy appears to be a product of an agricultural or low-automated industrial society:

Early men and women were equal, say scientists
The Guardian, 14 May 2015
Study shows that modern hunter-gatherer tribes operate on egalitarian basis, suggesting inequality was an aberration that came with the advent of agriculture
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 26th, 2017, 8:15 am 

BadgerJelly » November 26th, 2017, 8:44 pm wrote:Moss -

I don't consider gender inequality to be a major issue in western societies. It's not perfect though and some countries have more work to do than others.

This is why the topic has a global focus, my jello-bellied friend.

The West accounts for a rather small percentage of the global population. The rest seems to be very much into patriarchy at present.
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 26th, 2017, 8:30 am 

What kind of "link" are you asking for? I don't quite see how more men being out of work will lead to the fall of patriarchal society? In such extreme circumstances we're likely to see the economic model collapse and war ensue ... in which women are simply not going to match up in a fist fight.

I don't make any assumptions about prehistoric humans based on mathematical models. Lack of resources would necessarily lead to physical conflict. I would assume the simple fact that men beat women in a one on one situation is a fairly heavy point to ignore.

The "study shows" a bunch of assumptions leads to some guesses. I am not for or against this theory, but I am damn sure whoever pushed it into the Guardian has a very particular axe to grind. I wouldn't be surprised if the quotes from the anthropologist have been completely taken out of context too (that is generally the case with socio-political pieces in the tabloids - sensationalism at the cost of perspective.)
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 26th, 2017, 8:33 am 

Mossling » November 26th, 2017, 8:15 pm wrote:
BadgerJelly » November 26th, 2017, 8:44 pm wrote:Moss -

I don't consider gender inequality to be a major issue in western societies. It's not perfect though and some countries have more work to do than others.

This is why the topic has a global focus, my jello-bellied friend.

The West accounts for a rather small percentage of the global population. The rest seems to be very much into patriarchy at present.


"The rest", like the west, are patriarchal you mean? Scandanavia is the closest to equality, but given that we're interconnected the "system" is highly unlikely to unravel anytime soon, and if it does it will be VERY destructive.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 26th, 2017, 9:28 am 

Just look at the economics to understand the power balances.
There are studies of native populations of hunter-gatherers, even, that support the notion that there was more gender equality before agriculture - that both genders could lean on their particular advantages to deliver services and resources considered as roughly economically similar. There is a reason, for example, why the leaf tips for fine tea in China are traditionally picked by females.

When it comes to one's daily 'bread and butter', however, agriculture swings the economic advantage clearly in favour of human males (the traditional bread-winners ;P), rather than females. Thus, with economic power and a lack of civil education necessarily comes abuse of that power, and patriarchy easily appears.

So I am not saying the problem is automation, I am saying that the problem is the apparent fact that males benefit economically more than females from agriculture than they do when in an average hunter-gatherer context, and if they lack civil education then they will very likely abuse that power and create a patriarchal sociopolitical climate.

If you disagree with this then we can certainly source relevant studies and explore it. I just thought that it would be obvious. The sources above that I have listed all already point to such a phenomenon existing.

So with regards to automation, the automated machines will 'level the playing field' so to speak - seemingly once again (since it seems that that was how it was pre-agriculture), and the women, just like modern white-colour women in developed countries these days, will easily earn the same salaries as men per hour for their energy expended. This will be socio-economic setting within which patriarchy will crumble on a global scale and there will be much fewer enclaves left for it to thrive within than there are right now. The progress and application automated solutions in India and China are good examples of such a trajectory I think.
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 26th, 2017, 11:07 pm 

Are you aware that high paid jobs are not labour intensive? The simple truth is most women are sensible enough NOT to want to just make money for the sake of making money. Of course there are exceptions because the psychological divide between men and women allows for cross-over.

Women DO NOT earn less than men. If you look closely at the statistics you can see some things hidden within them. Women below 30 earn MORE than men below 30 already in many western countries. The west doesn't live in a true patriarchy anymore, the power is still skewed, but it is far from a being wholly ruled by men.

Anyone can cherry pick certain stats to press home their agenda. It is not difficult to do.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 27th, 2017, 1:10 am 

EXTRA bit

I am very interested in what is happening in the political sphere regarding gender equality and freedom of speech. I have watched a few things in this area after I discovered Jordan Peterson. The whole gender identity thing seems a little worrying to me, and I find that it is a reflection of a bigger social problem in which the rapid changes in society, due to technological advances (especialy in communications and information distribution), has really impacted on the mental maps of different generations. What appears to be happening is "old traditions" are being swept aside without much thought and although I agree with a lot of them being put to bed I also think maybe we're in serious danger of the old adage of "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

What is particularly worrisome to me is the climate of news sensationalism and mass media. Any ideology can gain a very quick following simply by stirring up tensions and making them volatile. With the Peterson incident many, many transgenders came out saying they didn't care for the new pro nouns and that those pushing for them didn't represent them.

I would also add I am not quite sure what you are pushing for here Moss? I have very little in the way of an idea as to what you're trying to discuss here or where you stand? This patriarchy versus automation seems like a very vague idea and I cannot see how they are opposed? If men are driven out of work and the gap in difference in income is increased between the population then men will go to war (one of the hardest facts we have in the social sciences is the fact that higher economic inequality leads to increases in male violence and homicide. So putting men out of work will lead to those men bringing down the system that brings them down.) In a violent conflict women will lose, we all know that physically this is the case.

Paglia, a renowned feminism, also makes a strong case against some of the current feminism ideologies being passed around today. She speaks out against the victims of the current Hollywood incidents. Yes, it is bad, but it is often due to complete naivety. Women have their freedom and they are therefore in danger, as men are. If women are then attacked it is not okay to resort to playing the victim, and be VERY sure about what I mean here ... I mean that freedom comes with no guarantee of safety. Freedom is dangerous. If you want to be guarded and protected all the time then you'll have to give up certain freedoms or stop complaining when someone attacks you ... AND AGAIN, please understand I am NOT saying rape is okay!! Such an accusation would be a mindfully silly and disingenuous assault on me. One I would openly defend and not one with which I would skulk away intot he shadows and weep about - that is the price of freedom. I want to live in a world where people understand that FREEDOM means DANGER.

You are plying this gender issue so thought I should bring it out and ask if this has any point regarding the OP. If the social structure collapses then men will win the physical battle not women. I think throwing all your ideas into one particular basket because of some article in the Gaurdian is naïve so I am hoping to hear more from you to flesh out what you're saying.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 27th, 2017, 8:29 am 

BadgerJelly » November 27th, 2017, 12:07 pm wrote: Women below 30 earn MORE than men below 30 already in many western countries. The west doesn't live in a true patriarchy anymore, the power is still skewed, but it is far from a being wholly ruled by men.

Anyone can cherry pick certain stats to press home their agenda. It is not difficult to do.

Again, this thread has a global focus. I don't know why you bring things back to the West only. I have been including India and China from the start - which together contain well over half of the world's population.
Image

BadgerJelly wrote:I am not quite sure what you are pushing for here Moss? I have very little in the way of an idea as to what you're trying to discuss here or where you stand?

As usual, I stand with the laws of nature as best I can.

This patriarchy versus automation seems like a very vague idea and I cannot see how they are opposed?

As you say, there is less patriarchy in the West, but it wasn't always this way, was it. With the movement away from a primarily agriculture-driven economy, patriarchy has faded more and more over time, as automation has taken over.

I feel positive about all this, but of course there are plenty of men - the likes of who have been grabbing whatever female they like without fear of punishment until recently - who feel like their party - their source of happiness - is being taken away from them.

I think it is no wonder, for example, that Trump seems to believe that he is going to create more jobs - jobs that are being automated and will be so exponentially very soon (apparently), because automation levels the traditional gender playing field, and we all know that Trump enjoys a bit of good old patriarchal power-play.

If men are driven out of work and the gap in difference in income is increased between the population then men will go to war (one of the hardest facts we have in the social sciences is the fact that higher economic inequality leads to increases in male violence and homicide. So putting men out of work will lead to those men bringing down the system that brings them down.) In a violent conflict women will lose, we all know that physically this is the case.

I have no idea what this is all about, lol. "Men will go to war" - what? They'll kill their mothers and sisters? What are you talking about here?

Yes, some patriarchal bigots will be upset about gender equality - as much as men did when women began becoming CEOs and so forth. I don't think there was any war, though. Men adapted - because they wanted to reproduce successfully, and that requires a loving home and a woman.

If there is no more use for men's muscles anymore beyond lifting kids and groceries and doing a bit of DIY now and again, then the genders are - apparently once again - pretty equal when considering their earning potential.

I agree, the West is much further ahead in this area, and so after China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and the Philipines have caught up - around 75% of the global population, I believe the institutions and traditions in those nations that patriarchy has given considerable power to - such as certain religions and corporate structures, will either be forced to change or will fall by the wayside.

This is just an extrapolation of what I have seen in the West, and I guess you could say that this is my 'stance' here on this thread at present. I was wondering whether anyone had sources that further confirm or debunk such a prediction.
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 27th, 2017, 12:08 pm 

Moss -

I am talking about the west because that is where the tech is going to be implemented more prominently. India are not about to start using driverless trucks or cars, or replace cheap manual labour with expensive robotic equipment, at least not on a widespread national scale as will most certainly be the case in the west. Eventually the rest of the world will be swamped too no doubt.

I am saying "men will go to war" because if more and more men are driven out of work then the disparity between the wealthiest and poorest will increase. When this happens violence and murder among the male population increases (this is applicable on a micro and macro scale.)

As you say, there is less patriarchy in the West, but it wasn't always this way, was it. With the movement away from a primarily agriculture-driven economy, patriarchy has faded more and more over time, as automation has taken over.


I do not consider this as string evidence. Many things seem to correlate on the surface, but when we dig deeper the other factors involve may simply overwhelm them. Like I said, it seems more likely that increased population sizes would contribute to warfare and competition. Women simply are not as good at killing as men. In the human species women are unique in many respects compared to other species. Women have more say over who they reproduce with, and they tend to pick men who are powerful. Men are more likely to put up with any woman whereas women are far more picky and tend to have high expectations - within their immediate social environment.

I don't buy into religion being a patriarchal structure either. Although I do buy into institutionalized religion as being driven by patriarchal means - because men were out there fighting the wars, killing and conquering.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Braininvat on November 27th, 2017, 1:37 pm 

Late to the party here, but....if a religion is appropriated by a patriarchy to control a population, then doesn't its structure tend to become more patriarchical? Look what happened to early Christianity when Rome got ahold of it. Look at Buddhism in Myanmar - you have to seriously remodel a religion of pacifism and respect for all living things in order to get the warped sect that's butchering people there.

I have no idea if automation will, by reducing the role of physical strength, put an end to patriarchical systems. Popular sects like Catholicism and Mormonism are still busy disseminating memes about the "natural" roles of men and women and maintaning their male-dominated power structures.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5820
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 27th, 2017, 10:44 pm 

Biv -

I have no idea if automation will, by reducing the role of physical strength, put an end to patriarchical systems. Popular sects like Catholicism and Mormonism are still busy disseminating memes about the "natural" roles of men and women and maintaning their male-dominated power structures.


I have. Because when women get pregnant they miss work, and in some cases stop working entirely. Biology has an effect. Men are wired to compete and produce more in order to get women.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but they are exceptions not the norm.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 29th, 2017, 6:29 am 

BadgerJelly » November 28th, 2017, 11:44 am wrote:Because when women get pregnant they miss work, and in some cases stop working entirely. Biology has an effect. Men are wired to compete and produce more in order to get women.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but they are exceptions not the norm.

But AI-driven automation is going to create a "post-work" world, so that won't matter anymore...

And I'm not saying India and China are about to be as developed as the West. The topic title uses a gerund - 'driving', implying ongoing process.
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on November 29th, 2017, 12:12 pm 

Moss -

I don't think it is even slightly realistic to talk about a "post work" world. I guess it would depend on exactly what you mean by that though. If you're envisaging a future where humans don't have to work on production for general survival (housing, education, food, water, air, etc.,.) then humans would have to put themselves to work in some other fashion beyond mere consumption.

I am not sure what time scale your talking about here? I was thinking more along the lines of short-term (meaning the next 50 years or so, beyond that I dare not speculate too much.)
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Braininvat on November 29th, 2017, 6:43 pm 

A Hobby World seems more likely than a true post-work society where everyone is like the Eloi in "The Time Machine" by HG Wells. People will still do a few jobs where the human touch is preferred, e.g. psychotherapists, masseurs, gourmet chefs, etc. At best, this would employ 10 percent of the population. Others might opt to do jobs that machines could do, but whose routines give particular pleasure to humans, say growing grapes for fine wines....or painting or acting or music, and so on. They wouldn't do them from any economic motivation, but because they like being out in the vineyards or up on a stage or bent over a piano. Male/female differences would not be of much significance in this kind of society, at least in terms of personal freedom to choose an occupation and lifestyle. I would guess that, in the long run, patriarchy would simply fade out of the picture.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5820
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby Mossling on November 30th, 2017, 8:30 am 

Yes BIV, that's exactly the kind of thing that I am envisioning, and not from my own thinking - from the comments made by many people whose expertise it is to do so.

Badger, I recommend you check out some post-work universal basic income vids on youtube. It's a very interesting concept to contemplate.

There is an apparent global trend of automation creating more gender equality within the society it takes place in, and once a society is 'post-work', then what rational authority can would-be patriarchs assert beyond trying to maintain traditional perspectives? And I remember when the 'new man' movement arrived in the West - when husbands began washing dishes more and helping around the house. Why did they do that? - It seems because they wanted to benefit from having a future-leaning empowered wife/mother of their children and not be socially stigmatised. Of course there can be societies where gender roles are more entrenched, but as the paper about women creating cooperatives in India outlines - there are always ways to innovate and for the economic reality to create progress.
User avatar
Mossling
Active Member
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Blog: View Blog (54)


Re: Automation vs Patriarchy Driving a New Global Era?

Postby BadgerJelly on December 2nd, 2017, 2:32 am 

Moss -

Will do. If there is a specific lecture you could recommend I'll be sure to check it out.
User avatar
BadgerJelly
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: 14 Mar 2012



Return to Social Sciences

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests