Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Anthropology, History, Psychology, Sociology and other related areas.

Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby weakmagneto on July 10th, 2012, 11:47 pm 

Funny how some people don't realize how something as little as saying "no" for intimate relations with your partner because you're mad at them is a form of emotional abuse. It is based on power and control.

How Women Use Sex As A Weapon
Written by Franchesca Warren
Published in the Huffington Post

Think of this scenario that happens in bedrooms all across the world: As you climb into bed, your mate whispers to you, "Honey, let's have sex." Still angry about the argument you had earlier, you roll over and reply, "I'm not in the mood" and go to sleep. Defeated, your mate rolls back over and goes to sleep. Sex has just been used a weapon to punish your spouse for an argument you've had earlier in the day.

This scene happens more times than we think. Legitimately, sometimes we as women are tired from a long day at work or from dealing with the kids. However, more times than likely it's because we don't feel like our spouse deserves sex -- we are using it as a weapon, reward or both.

A couple of nights ago my husband and I were hanging out with some married friends of ours when we got on the subject of sex. One of our friends remarked that because her husband had been "good" all week she'd have sex with him that night. We all laughed and chalked it up to "the old married life" but it got me thinking: when did sex become a tool to get what you want out of your spouse? Did this happen all the time?

If I wasn't "in the mood" was I inadvertently punishing my husband? Needless to say as the conversation continued, I was confused. Some of the wives at the table reasoned that sex had to earned by their husbands. Ultimately, if their husbands were "well behaved" they would be rewarded with sex.

The husbands chimed in and despite them hating this power play, they went along with it to get their wives to "put out." As we continued the discussion, I realized quickly that sex is used as a weapon and reward in relationships. It gives the person with the decision (usually the wife) the power and can be used to leverage men into doing what us women want them to do.

As my husband and I drove home we laughed at how crazy some of our friends sounded. Who uses sex as a reward and a punishment? When did that start? Apparently this goes on in more households then we thought. This conversation made me examine how the process of deciding to have sex occurs in my household. When I am angry with my husband do I refuse to have sex with him? If I need for him to lay tile in the kitchen do I promise sex as a reward? No, but I have been guilty instead of using sex as a means to show my love for my husband. I've used it as a weapon and reward to get what I want.

Despite us ending our conversation that night, I began to casually question both my male and female married friends about their thoughts on this phenomenon. Shockingly, a lot of my friends echoed the same thoughts of the first couples we were with. Many of my male friends said they didn't care if their wives were mad at them, they still wanted sex. However, women responded that they will use sex as weapon to get what they want or to reiterate when they're angry.

I've came to the conclusion that I'm not perfect, especially in something that is so personal and private as my sex life. But now I'm determined to use sex as a pronouncement of love -- not as a weapon or reward.


http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/franchesca ... more233468

Any thoughts about this article? Do you think that witholding sexual relations because a partner is angry at the other is emotional abuse?
User avatar
weakmagneto
Active Member
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Blog: View Blog (6)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby Watson on July 11th, 2012, 12:43 am 

Not if is is a one time or brief with holding to make a point. If it is longer term disinterest then that is a different issue, but could be abuse if the partner is insisting on abstenance from the other. Each situation could be different, but yes if it is an issue of power and control then it would be abuse.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4614
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.
HipOl liked this post


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby wolfhnd on July 11th, 2012, 3:05 am 

The politics of the "sexual revolution" makes this a difficult subject to discuss. I'm not sure that we have learned all that much from the days when people refereed to it as the "war of the sexes". There is evidence that it goes beyond a simple struggle for dominance in the smallest social unit (mates). Chemical signals seem to be designed not just to attract but also to manipulate the opposite sex and take advantage of the response to said chemicals. I don't want to go into the science of this chemical warfare because it is long and controversial. The point is that sex is about reproduction and that is fundamentally inescapable even if it the process functions at a subconscious level. Males are basically expendable and females to be protected within the social order of things. The protected part is what leads to a lot of social abuses because as we all know the simple way to protect something is to lock it up and keep it under your control. As I have said many times here it is about recognizing that power and equality comes only through responsibility and the manipulation is pointless. It is the responsibility of all members of society of both sexes to act in a way that takes into consideration the interest of the whole of society regardless of sex or sexual orientation. When I look at societies that do not have as serious a problem with things like rape, child abandonment, etc. etc. I consistently find that those societies have a much more casual view about the meaning of the sexual act. Western culture continues to influence our "liberated" generation in negative ways to the point that to be in opposition to traditional western values almost assures that the very values that are opposed are in fact reinforced in very strange ways. To be liberated does not mean to be in control but to be in harmony with ourselves and the "natural" order of things. Equality is about an equal opertunity to fail not an equal opertunity to succeed. Does anyone really want an equal opertunity to fail or do we all use every "weapon" at our disposal to "win"? Is it responsible to always win or do we surrender when it is in everyones interest to do so?
wolfhnd
Honored Member
 
Posts: 4743
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby CanadysPeak on July 11th, 2012, 9:13 am 

Wives are not obligated to be semen receptacles. What is wrong with being "not in the mood?" Aren't women real people, entitled to feelings and attitudes and moods, all of which might be independent of their mate's erection?
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert
 
Posts: 5931
Joined: 31 Dec 2008


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby newyear on July 11th, 2012, 11:28 am 

If I was a woman, and I had an angry partner wanting sex, I wouldn't just tell him I'm not in the mood but probably tell him to go to the bathroom if he's 'hot'. I wouldn't say that this is using sex as a weapon any more for the woman as for the man. Some could think that an argument can be won by violating the opponent.

To me, any sexual relationship needs both partners to be in the mood, not just one of them.
newyear
Active Member
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Location: Madrid


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby weakmagneto on July 11th, 2012, 2:25 pm 

I think it is a matter of respect. I do believe that if any partner is not wanting sex, then the other partner should respect that. But abstaining out of malice or anger is hurtful and disrespectful. The "silent treatment" can also be viewed as a form of emotional abuse when it is used to hurt another...
User avatar
weakmagneto
Active Member
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Blog: View Blog (6)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby newyear on July 11th, 2012, 3:20 pm 

weakmagneto wrote:I think it is a matter of respect. I do believe that if any partner is not wanting sex, then the other partner should respect that. But abstaining out of malice or anger is hurtful and disrespectful. The "silent treatment" can also be viewed as a form of emotional abuse when it is used to hurt another...


The so called, 'silent treatment' is not a sexual problem. It is a problem of communication. In my humble experience of women, it seems that their sexual appetite is somewhat less that that of men, exceptions apart. Some men and women do not understand this, and can be a cause of problems.
newyear
Active Member
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Location: Madrid


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby wolfhnd on July 12th, 2012, 6:14 am 

Wives are not obligated to be semen receptacles. What is wrong with being "not in the mood?" Aren't women real people, entitled to feelings and attitudes and moods, all of which might be independent of their mate's erection?


Give us a break, no one is suggesting that woman are obliged to have sex at the whim of their partners. We are talking about something entirely different. As weakmagneto was clear in her original post and reiterated in her last post below.


weakmagneto wrote:
I think it is a matter of respect. I do believe that if any partner is not wanting sex, then the other partner should respect that. But abstaining out of malice or anger is hurtful and disrespectful. The "silent treatment" can also be viewed as a form of emotional abuse when it is used to hurt another


I went a step beyond that position and stated that there is a cultural issue with taking sex too seriously. I would say that the suggestion of woman as semen receptacles is confirmation that the opposition to traditional ways of thinking takes on a double negative effect. By this I mean that provocative language tends to heighten the sensitivity of individual already struggling with the ability to casually enjoy sexual interaction and reinforces the issues that the opposition to traditional ways of thinking were trying to correct.

If it was as simple and obvious as woman should have control over their bodies we wouldn't be talking about it in the first place.
wolfhnd
Honored Member
 
Posts: 4743
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)
Scruffy Nerf Herder liked this post


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby CanadysPeak on July 12th, 2012, 7:05 am 

I was responding to the tone and content of the Huffingtonpost article. I meant no commentary on the realtionship views of any posters on this thread. I stand by my whole-hearted condemnation of the crap in the quoted story. I plead the old rabbinic technique of reversing the question: Why does no one ever criticize men for withholding sex from eager women?

This has become a popular talking-point among fundamentalist groups. I have edited this post to include a citation to one such nutty viewpoint.

http://www.christian-marriage-today.com ... riage.html

It is both misogynistic and an admission of one's inability to maintain an honest relationship when one uses some hackneyed standard as an excuse. Shame on any man who lacks the willingness to romance his partner.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert
 
Posts: 5931
Joined: 31 Dec 2008


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby Keep_Relentless on July 12th, 2012, 7:48 am 

I agree with CanadysPeak and honestly do not see how it is more complex than that women have the ability to consent or not for whatever reason they please. Of course for all concerned, if one person wants something and another wants something else, the greatest desire ought to win, but from the individual perspective, in practice this won't work out. Instead everybody does what they want, and successful societies and smaller-scale groups ensure that, perhaps delusionally, people want what they think others want. Sex as a bribe, objectionable or not, doesn't seem outside of the natural state of affairs.
User avatar
Keep_Relentless
Member
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Location: QLD, Australia


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby wolfhnd on July 12th, 2012, 1:32 pm 

women have the ability to consent or not for whatever reason they please.


How can you say you agree and then post the exact opposite of the tone of the discussion

Shame on any man who lacks the willingness to romance his partner.


We are trying not to create double standards and doing whatever you please does not fit at all with a constructive relationship. You cannot always do what you please unless you live in a cave by yourself. You can try but your going to find that people don't respond well to that kind of immaturity.
wolfhnd
Honored Member
 
Posts: 4743
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby wolfhnd on July 12th, 2012, 2:01 pm 

I was responding to

Funny how some people don't realize how something as little as saying "no" for intimate relations with your partner because you're mad at them is a form of emotional abuse. It is based on power and control.


My personal opinion is that the connection between sex and partner is something that is taken for granted as being the "natural" state of affairs but that could be very misleading. I see no evidence that long term sexual relations between male and female members of the human species is "natural". When I say long term I mean more than a couple of years. While instinct has an influence on culture it's hard to see the exact nature of the relationship between the two. My observation is that marriages are based more on friendships within a stable cultural framework than some yet to be proved instinct for pair bonding. While clearly some sort of mating instinct is present those relationship based solely on sexual attraction almost always fail to produce long tern parings. Here is the tricky part, if feelings are the physical expression of instincts then relying on a cultural explanation for those instincts is likely to produce extreme distortions. CanadysPeak has provided an example of one of those distortions and Keep_Relentless the other cultural distortion that is in opposition to the one Canadys provided. Here is the key point, your instincts or feelings are not designed to make you happy or provide for a long term fulfilling relationship. Your instincts are designed to promote your genes. If your a male the best way to do that may be to form a relationship with a single female or it may be that you find as many partners as possible and it could be that your instincts drive you to do both. If your a female the best way to promote your genes may be to manipulate a male into protecting you and your offspring regardless of who fertilized your eggs. Following these instincts is not likely to produce many friendships.
wolfhnd
Honored Member
 
Posts: 4743
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)
Scruffy Nerf Herder liked this post


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby AmbivalentOne on July 14th, 2012, 5:18 am 

This article is so weird... Ideally, men and women should be having sex because they have a burning sexual desire for each other. I'm a man, but even for me the idea of having sex with my girlfriend after a heated argument seems absurd. How would that even happen? The logistics defy me. "Hey baby, I know you hate me right now, but can we just put our differences aside and have sex real quick?"

Based on my limited experience of them, women can not be aroused by such talk. Male and female sexualities have a different quality. To reduce it to a crude metaphor, men are on/off like a light switch, women are up/down like a volume knob.
User avatar
AmbivalentOne
Member
 
Posts: 129
Joined: 09 Dec 2010


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby edy420 on July 14th, 2012, 8:25 am 

Interesting article.

The concept of using such a weapon, has an eerie cynical feel to it.
What kind of relationship is that?
Imo, if you can't sort out your differences as a couple, then... well, you shouldn't be a couple.

My wife has tried those phrases from time to time, but for me, its just part of the game.
When she says she's not in the mood, really she means I need flirtatious attention, or she's struggling to manage her side of the relationship and needs help. (when all else fails, rip her clothes off, you'l either get a verbal no with an excited smile or perhaps a slap in the face.)

AmbivalentOne wrote:Ideally, men and women should be having sex because they have a burning sexual desire for each other.


Very true.
You can tell a lot about your relationship, by the "spark" between one another, which usually involves intimate love making.
By that, I don't just mean, bing bang boom your done, and role over :P
There's all the little things, like doing things for each other, texting when your not together etc and also bonding while doing things you both enjoy.

AmbivalentOne wrote:I'm a man, but even for me the idea of having sex with my girlfriend after a heated argument seems absurd. How would that even happen? The logistics defy me. "Hey baby, I know you hate me right now, but can we just put our differences aside and have sex real quick?"


Some of the best sex is make up sex :P
Just make sure you get absolutely everything out that makes you angry, then jump each other, its not all that uncommon.

Sex as a weapon, more often than not, backfires.
Imo, its one of the main reasons why married couples cheat on each other.
Yet for some reason, a cynical sex weapon wielding wife, will always be surprised when she finds out about an affair.
User avatar
edy420
Active Member
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Location: Fergusson st, Tokoroa, NZ


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby CanadysPeak on July 14th, 2012, 8:57 am 

When sex is good, two (OK, I'm still old-fashioned) people become so into one another that it becomes difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins; pleasure for one is pleasure for the other or perhaps pleasure for both. When sex is bad, might as well use a Fleshlight. The John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara bit might work as role-playing but probably not as conflict resolution.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert
 
Posts: 5931
Joined: 31 Dec 2008


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby weakmagneto on July 14th, 2012, 9:25 am 

I can relate to this article as a female who has used sex as a weapon (during my immature and low self-esteem days). After unresolved confilicts with my ex during the day, when he was in the mood at night, and I knew I had power over him by my ability to say yes or no to him, I would sometimes say no just to hurt him while still seething. Unhealthy as it may have been, I know there are others out there who can relate to the article because they have done the same thing.

Some of the best sex is make up sex
haha true!
User avatar
weakmagneto
Active Member
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Blog: View Blog (6)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby Percarus on July 14th, 2012, 10:04 am 

AmbivalentOne: This article is so weird... Ideally, men and women should be having sex because they have a burning sexual desire for each other.

I agree with you AmbivalentOne… Although, I have to openly admit I never have been involved in a long term relationship as of yet so I have not born witness of this manipulation of sex as a weapon. I believe that when in a serious relationship one should really get to understand their partner better than they know themselves, or at least attempt to do so. It should be the goal of the couple to comfort each other when the other needs it, especially when they need it most. I do not consider a quarrelling relationship in the slightest bit functional, and really when finding a partner you should seek someone that completes you.

Men and women should have a clear understanding of each other’s sexual needs whilst still learning about each other in the dating stage. To use sex as a weapon you are demonizing the very act of it and I would gather that it can destroy the entire beauty and romantic associations associated in regards to the bedroom department. I believe sex should be something done out of passion and not as a mere physical sensation that may only last a few minutes. I would imagine that couples lose touch with their romantic selves given a long period of time together – I hence would argue it as imperative to make every effort possible throughout the length of the relationship so as not to lose the romance, the love, and the mad sexual lust between partners (I wonder how hard that will be when my day comes).

I once heard a case in which a man refrained from having sex with his wife simply because he was already very tired after work each day and over time he just apparently ‘grew out’ of sex. This had the unfortunate situation of making his wife literally crawl over the walls in frustration. On that note one has to be considerate with his/her partner’s sexual needs.

Edy420: Some of the best sex is make up sex :P
Just make sure you get absolutely everything out that makes you angry, then jump each other, its not all that uncommon.

I heard that notion many times, make up sex… I would guess that some individuals thrive on this mad lust for passion after a fervent argument. One time I bore witness to a couple that were having a huge fight about something trivial. I stepped in to intervene but just before I go to them the man threw his woman against a wall and then completely unexpectedly they embraced and pashed in an amorous embrace. This happened a long time ago, but it was not until that moment that I realised the kinkiness of make-up sex, I would presume it is how some couples in conflict are able to rekindle old emotions associated with love that they once held. What I bear to wonder though is as to what train of events would have to take place to utilize sex as an instant solution to any conflict happening in the relationship.

Ahem, if and when I find “Mrs Right” and she uses sex as a weapon against me I believe that if I did not dump her immediately I would at least, with most certainty, just talk it over with them. I do not believe it right to not respond to a partner’s abstinence without seeking to understand him/her and the motives associated with such an act. Maybe I would even invite Dr Phil into the bedroom so he could aide in the fostering of our relationship further. lol
User avatar
Percarus
Banned User
 
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Location: Perth - Australia
Blog: View Blog (4)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby wolfhnd on July 14th, 2012, 12:09 pm 

Making up may have something to do with the human ability to role play. It may function something like a reenactment of initial courtship which is something completely different than ritualistic reinforcement of a pair bond. My suspicion is it is a bit of both.
wolfhnd
Honored Member
 
Posts: 4743
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby edy420 on July 15th, 2012, 7:40 am 

Percarus wrote:
but it was not until that moment that I realised the kinkiness of make-up sex, I would presume it is how some couples in conflict are able to rekindle old emotions associated with love that they once held.


Sounds like a poetic point of view to me :)
Imo, its also a statement where you both agree to dissagree, after a heated discussion.

Percarus wrote:What I bear to wonder though is as to what train of events would have to take place to utilize sex as an instant solution to any conflict happening in the relationship.


Besides the poetic emotional events that take place while aruging, your physical state also elevates accordingly.
When your blurting out angry or frustrated emotions, your heart rate races, adrenaline rises and your mental logic and reasoning drops through the floor.
Imo, its as close as you can get to having sex on drugs :P

But, while lots of make up sex may be healthy for your relationship, I gather frequent arguing is more destructive.
When sex is used in this way, it is not a weapon, its more like a peace treaty.
I know a few couples who are able to find a good balance.
Last edited by edy420 on July 15th, 2012, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
edy420
Active Member
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Location: Fergusson st, Tokoroa, NZ


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby edy420 on July 15th, 2012, 7:43 am 

wolfhnd wrote:Making up may have something to do with the human ability to role play. It may function something like a reenactment of initial courtship which is something completely different than ritualistic reinforcement of a pair bond. My suspicion is it is a bit of both.


I gather, the same is true for regular love making.. the real kind :)
User avatar
edy420
Active Member
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Location: Fergusson st, Tokoroa, NZ


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby wolfhnd on July 15th, 2012, 2:30 pm 

Ego seems to operate on top of a broad unconscious mental framework. We should ask Nero about the mechanics here but basically what we have discovered is that unlike the Freudian model these are not discrete entities. By that I mean that there is not an area of the brain that handles primitive functions and another area that deals with conscious thoughts. To some extent at least the brain acts as a single entity and while the loss of certain areas of the brain will render some functions impossible those function are not as isolated as originally thought in a healthy brain. All of the above mean that any instinct for sexual behavior is not going to be isolated to a single brain area. To some extent this contradicts the obvious ability of humans to engage in fantasy independent of any physical stimulation, it is also obvious that other animals dream which could be thought of as undirected fantasy. What I'm getting at is that " regular love making" may never be totally devoid of role playing fantasy. This is an important consideration if your trying to figure out what is conscious manipulation and what is instinctual behavior.
wolfhnd
Honored Member
 
Posts: 4743
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby Saintest on August 1st, 2016, 4:09 am 

While lots of make up sex may be healthy for your relationship, I gather frequent arguing is more destructive. - Must agree with you! I think like this too)
Saintest
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Aug 2016


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby Biosapien on August 1st, 2016, 4:45 am 

I believe women or female partner hesitate to engage in physical relationship only under two following reason either they are physically exhausted because of the routine household chores they perform or their may be not in the mood to have because of other things that run's on their mind which makes them not to think about sex.

My kind suggestion for Male is try to arouse your female partner when she say no for sex. Here Arouse means not immediately get down and performing a cunnilingus but rather start with other kind of stuff with touching and softly playing with their body. By doing so two things can happen either your female may fall into sleep if she is physically exhausted or she might respond you to proceed or stop according to her mood. If things goes positive you know what to do if not then you better go back to the days before you lose virginity for a couple of minute to release your heat.


For women who refrain from physical relationship because of worrying about exhausting their energy in the act of intimacy, i suggest them to learn and master how to gain orgasm without loosing their energy.

Orgasm or Ejaculation is the imminent explosion of energy from our body. It is possible to control these imminent action with certain breathing and PC flex techniques to turn into prolong action. By doing so, both partner spend more time together. Also try new things to light up your bedroom fantasy, cause routine things will definitely makes either the male or female to feel bored.
Biosapien
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 11 Mar 2015


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby TheVat on August 1st, 2016, 9:55 am 

My kind suggestion for Male is try to arouse your female partner when she say no for sex. Here Arouse means not immediately get down and performing a cunnilingus but rather start with other kind of stuff with touching and softly playing with their body. By doing so two things can happen either your female may fall into sleep if she is physically exhausted or she might respond you to proceed or stop according to her mood. If things goes positive you know what to do if not then you better go back to the days before you lose virginity for a couple of minute to release your heat. 



Not sure if you've ever been married, or had a marital fight. In any case, that is terrible advice, and anyone trying this on a partner who has declined sex may find themselves sleeping on the couch.
User avatar
TheVat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 6893
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby neuro on August 1st, 2016, 10:55 am 

It seems to me that most of this discussion relates with sexual aspects, while the question is, in the first place, a relational one.

Whenever a relation turns dysfunctional, the fault is almost equally shared by both partners.

If a woman can ever think of using a "no" to punish her partner, then that means that her partner - on his side - has never managed to make her feel as if making love to her is a way to donate something, make her feel better, and not only receive sexual satisfaction.

If a man can ever receive a "no" as a punishment or reward, then that means that he does not "offer" sex but rather asks for it, and he does so independent of what he has reason to think his partner feels.

Making love after a fight is very nice. Provided you both are feeling the fury is waning or the fury is still there but the reason for it has gone. Before that, the request is a dysfunctional relational attitude: in a sense, a male who asks for sex in such a situation manifests a total disrespect for his partner's feelings...

Making love as a reward, on the other hand, is something so stupid that I would strongly recommend truncating the relationship or seek for couple treatment (from a good therapist!)
User avatar
neuro
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: 25 Jun 2010
Location: italy
Lomax liked this post


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby doogles on August 1st, 2016, 6:05 pm 

The thrust of the posts on this topic seem to confirm that this situation not only exists, but is quite commonplace.

I think neuro hit the correct key when he said "It seems to me that most of this discussion relates with sexual aspects, while the question is, in the first place, a relational one."

Now if a child 'plays up', a mother can give him light smack or shake, but if a husband 'plays up', a woman can't give him the beating he probably deserves.

Generally, women are the 'weaker sex' physically, so temporary withdrawal of sex is the best weapon she has.

It's similar in principle to the international situation when, rather than indulge in outright war, one country puts an embargo on another by withdrawal of vital trade.
User avatar
doogles
Active Member
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Location: BRISBANE


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby TheVat on August 1st, 2016, 9:46 pm 

Keeping our seamen at home, basically.
User avatar
TheVat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 6893
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills
Lomax liked this post


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby doogles on August 2nd, 2016, 1:43 am 

Very good Biv.

It would be very suitable if it turns out to be that last word on the subject.
User avatar
doogles
Active Member
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Location: BRISBANE


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby Biosapien on August 2nd, 2016, 2:41 am 

Hi Braininvat

Hope when you was a child,you've been troubled your mom a lot to take your food, in order to feed you your mom do just one thing, she simply divert your mind and make you to eat the food. Like the aforementioned example i suggested the male to arouse (means induce diversion to her thoughts which makes her to refrain from sex) by doing so the outcome can be anything because of the existence of different event due to probability. Also i wish what you suggest to a male when he want to engage in physical relationship with his partner when she say no to sex?
Biosapien
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 11 Mar 2015


Re: Relationships: Sex as a weapon

Postby wolfhnd on August 2nd, 2016, 10:28 am 

As a social issue Neuro is certainly right that relationships between the sexes are more important than the sexual act itself. The correlation between IQ and the stability of marriage suggests that delayed gratification is probably playing some part in successful relationships. I don't find this cultural phenomenon surprisingly. The same pattern is found in almost every aspect of life in so far as self control, education and intelligence are key to success in most areas of life.

What bothers me is how little attention is given to the sexual dimorphism of the human species. Many people on the political left now seem inclined to totally deny the differences between the sexes as if biology only applies below the neck.

Humans like all animals are driven by their instincts and those emotions are the foundation that make intellect possible. The language instinct being the most obvious example.

If we ignore the biological imperatives that sexual relationships are based on we are likely to draw many false narratives.

It may be true that the frequency which couples engage in copulation strengthens the pair bond. Males and females however are programmed with different imperatives. The male has no way of controlling who the female in a relationship becomes pregnant by. This is likely the origin of the cultural tradition of honeymoon s.

The fact that human sperm has evolved to be as much as 40 percent "killer sperm" points to the natural promiscuity in humans. Many animals have evolved behavioral mechanisms to insure paternity including infanticide. In humans both sexes have an interest in insuring faithfulness, in the male it is to make sure they are not supporting another males offspring. It should come as no surprise that when females withhold sexual access males become suspicious of female faithfulness.

If females withhold sexual access it would be reasonable that they at the same time demonstrate their commitment to the relationship in some other way to be in keeping with the biological imperatives.
wolfhnd
Honored Member
 
Posts: 4743
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Blog: View Blog (3)


Next

Return to Social Sciences

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests