sound brainwashing

Anthropology, History, Psychology, Sociology and other related areas.

sound brainwashing

Postby zetreque on September 26th, 2018, 5:13 pm 

Music and sound is used throughout media (TV, movies, commercials, music, etc) to greatly enhance emotion. Often subtle and unnoticed to the average consumer. A couple years ago I took an audio class where this was made more clear than ever to me how producers use sound in cinema and media. You can find examples on youtube where someone makes alternate movie trailers to a movie or TV show with different music or sounds and drastically changes the effect from a comedy to a thriller.

Could all this enhanced emotion be inadvertently brainwashing society as a whole to over-dramatize situations, their thinking, how they react to things? In other words, could it be training people to react in their thinking to situations differently than otherwise?

Separate but similar question. Could it actually be dumbing down society when they exagerate thinking into extremes?

I don't mean to imply direct cause and effect but a cumulative effect where this is one of many factors leading to the state of human society.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: sound brainwashing

Postby zetreque on September 26th, 2018, 5:15 pm 

Could it also be leading to a more rapid journey to boredom? What once was exciting, new and fascinating is now extremely boring because expectations are much higher. An example of this would be old spaghetti westerns that I noticed recently being long movies with some very slow quiet scenes compared to movies today.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Event Horizon on September 26th, 2018, 5:53 pm 

This is where you need a good foley artist and sound director. Sound and vision both carry overt and subliminal messages or suggestions. The tone, the key and compression can all be instrumental (ha!) in setting the mood, Just like any restaurant or club do.
Event Horizon

Postby Event Horizon on September 26th, 2018, 6:04 pm 

Now if you wanted to give someone a sound brainwashing like in the Ipcress file, you'd need a few months and some deeply questionable psychological methods. Cults do well at brainwashing in general and are maybe worth studying.
Event Horizon

Postby Braininvat on September 26th, 2018, 6:14 pm 

I wonder if the reason some people like indie small-budget films is that they often have no soundtrack - just dialog and natural ambient sound picked up with a boom mike. I like this approach for some movies, not having my mood tweaked by music. The action and dialog are sufficient - I don't need emotions spoonfed to me.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Event Horizon on September 26th, 2018, 6:54 pm 

There may be a pavlovian component to the sounds they pick from a sound palette. It might be as simple as that.
Event Horizon

Postby BadgerJelly on October 10th, 2018, 1:12 am 

Art tends to flourish when limit is forced upon a medium - the obvious exam;le in film being “film noire” with nothing much to play around with other than light and shadow a whole genre was born.

The modern problem in cinema, as far as I can tell, is the ease with which professional productions can be put together. Plus the advances in computer generated images, and the gaming industry, has led to a drive to create fantastical scenes and turn the whole industry into something of a hedonistic visual free-for-all! It won’t last though. Eventually cinema will move on to new pastures and I imagine technology will drive it beyond anything we’ve got today.

The age of “interactive” cinema is likely going to reduce what we call “the movies” today to something more akin to how we view “the novel” now in comparison to “film”.

To address the OP more directly, yes, it is quite errie to find out that in movie theatres the director is purposely manipulating physiological reactions and moods humans have to certain moods - the inaudible bass sound that creates a sense of primal fear is interesting (the evolutionary theory being that it was useful as a warning about large predators and their deep rumbling growl - true or not it’s a nice idea!)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby -1- on October 15th, 2018, 11:18 am 

Mood enhancing background music may not be a tool to dumb down society to dumber and dumber levels.

One example how the effect is lost in real life: in the movies, a boy finally meets his secret love, the evil slave-keeper having just had his just desserts, and he confesses to her his eternal love for her in one long, sweet embrace, while the background sound moves into a spire-like crescendo. Not a dry eye in the audience.

Realty: boy loves girl, puts on some spiring crescendo music, kneels down in front of girl, confesses his love, and the girl, red faced, pulls up her panties, navigates around around the boy and rushes out of the public washroom labelled ont he door "All Genders".

Here, very obviously, the dumbing down did not work.
-1-
Forum Neophyte

Return to Social Sciences