Esports Culture and Broader Implications of Internet Culture

Anthropology, History, Psychology, Sociology and other related areas.

Esports Culture and Broader Implications of Internet Culture

Postby BadgerJelly on February 20th, 2019, 4:09 am 

I watched a mini documentary (if it can be called that) the other day on youtube about the growing popularity of esports and the increasing money involved in these domain.

I was fascinated to learn that in the US pro-players are now being offered scholarships and that esports are starting to rival actual physical sports - 6 figure numbers for income now. This has happened incredibly fast and the same thing has happened, as you now, with various other forms of “entertainment” (meaning podcasts and streaming by just about every single type of person you can imagine about anything you can imagine. Literally anything have interest in is out there with tutorials, free exchanges, critiques and crowd funding). We’re truly living in the age of plenty regarding choice, chance and opportunity.

Anyway, one comment really struck me about the possibel pitfalls of the esports industry. That is that in traditional sports people can play football or whatever sport they choose with relative freedom, yet in esports the orgnisations literally “own the ball”. In broarder terms we’ve seen over recent years people being “banned” from varous platforms on the internet so it seems we’ve created a double-edged sword. We have freedom to communicate, but intellectual/cultural divides in place dictated by the whims of the major organisations. We’ve seen attempts by governments to inhibit freedom on the internet and whilst unsuccessful (meaning they cannot shut down dislike) it is reasonable to assume it is having a greater global impact given that content that is harder to reach/distribute effects the global culture/s.

(Note: As a pop-culture reference the recent movie “First Player Ready” takes this to an extreme conclusion with the influence of the online gaming industry in the future).

With every stage of human social evolution we’ve foudn ourselves in revolutionary positions where freedom abounds, wealth increases and then freedoms are quickly bound up to avoid self-destruction or to pish some political ideology - note I’m talking about this on a grand scale not merely over the past few centuries; such as how binding ourselves to the land through farming led to physiological changes and societal changes too.

In terms of youth there are many positives to esports in schools. In the US many schools now have their own esports teams that compete with each other - as with football. This has been very beneificial for the “geek” community and helped bring people together who would’ve previously have spent their time alone in a room coommunicating via videochat/messenging. Now they meet in the real world and have a real world social group, ironically, because they are interested in playing games online.

The the mini documentary (I’ll look for it and post later) it is easy to see how parents struggle with this huge shift. To most of us (I imagine) this is a strange world. I did play League of Legends myself to relax a year or two ago whilst listening to the radio, and now I play the popular game PUBG every other day. One thing I haev noticed is that there is a HUGE space in the market for more advanced gaming; meaning that if a group of people really got to together and created a vastly overreaching gaming platform the whole world, much like the above mentioned movie, could easily be sucked into this. The question is then What this would look like? What “game” would appeal to the majority of an adult audience?

Anyway, I’ll leave it there for now before I get deeper into another thought that’s been plaguing me for what seems like decades.

Here it is: Esports: Inside the relentless training of professional gaming stars

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=box4SFtGvA0
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Esports Culture and Broader Implications of Internet Cul

Postby Lozza on June 13th, 2019, 3:18 pm 

No different to playing any other professional sport. Go figure, they feel pressure, anxiety about performance and sustain injuries....albeit injuries only count as callouses and wrist strain, instead of pulled hamstrings, ACL damage, shoulder and knee reconstructions, and in the case of motor sports, the risk of death. But otherwise, it's the same sort of pressure.

It's all well and nice to want to play any sort of game, whether it be an outdoor sport or an Esport, but being a professional is entirely another thing altogether.

In motor sport, a few Esport players have won rides in real cars, but I don't see that they are very successful in the transition from Esport to the real thing, as the real thing is very visceral....you don't suffer an G-forces in Esport, but you certainly do in a real race car, and of course, there's the very real threat of serious injury and even death in a real race car, but not on Esport.

I understand why they won the rides, as so much of real car racing requires an understanding of the engineering of the car in order to be able to communicate with the engineers to tell them what needs altering. In Esport car racing games, the same thing is required in order to get the maximum performance out of a car, but the player makes all of the adjustments to the suspension, gear and differential ratios and down-force themselves. So I see the attraction of giving these guys a ride in a real car....except they're not used to putting their life at risk, and life at over 200 mph can be very scary indeed when you are in such close proximity to other vehicles doing the same speeds in race conditions.

To give that a little more context, many successful motor bike riders have tried to make the transition from 2 wheels to 4 wheels...unsuccessfully. And I put it all down to the entirely different visceral experience between the two disciplines. The best drivers and riders have all ridden or driven since a very young age, and you learn many of the subtleties of the handling of a vehicle at a young age to take into adulthood. These experiences do not translate to other forms of motor racing. Once a bike rider, always a bike rider, so too with 4 wheels. It's not to say you can't, but you just won't get to the top of the competition ladder coming from another discipline.

And that, I believe, is the problem with Esports...it doesn't translate to reality. But as far as program development, which is basically how it all started, then sure. And remaining within that realm, then sure, you can get to the top of a competition ladder. But I don't believe it translates well to reality due to the absence of real risk and the visceral experience of driving/riding.

It would be like someone believing that because they are excellent at Call of Duty, that they would be real life bad asses in the real world combat arena....no. More likely the person would be shitting themselves under a rock.
Lozza

Return to Social Sciences