The human apparent hive mind?

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

The human apparent hive mind?

Postby Alan McDougall on May 13th, 2017, 11:15 pm 

The human hive mind

As an engineer constructing a huge power-station over here in South Africa, I often thought if some galactic intelligence hovered above, it would think that some sort of a hive mind was making these little creatures we call humans work together, as if they were being driven by some unseen intelligent source

We can observe the same things if we watch ants constructing a huge ant-heap. Are they driven by a hive mind that combined make them as intelligent as us, or is it just an illusion and mindless direction by instinct above.

Alan
Alan McDougall
Banned User

eagle liked this post

Re: The human apparent hive mind?

Postby zetreque on May 14th, 2017, 4:03 am 

I see it as life evolving to take advantage of niche environments to prosper.

Geological and Ecological succession.

Hormones and sensory inputs in a web of ecological relationships.

An unseen intelligent source makes no sense to me.

Another example is how many bacteria are inside the human body allowing it to survive.

Or take it down to mitochondria.
Or endosymbiotic theory of eukaryotes.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)
SciameriKen liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on May 14th, 2017, 9:41 am 

Or simply a group of people willing to sweat for a pay check, each with his own mind on his own problems and/or wishes.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

zetreque liked this post

Postby Serpent on May 14th, 2017, 9:54 am 

Outward appearance, especially from a distance, and a discrepancy of scale, can be misleading.
Superficial similarity, if taken literally, untested, may lead to incorrect conclusion.
That's a useful lesson to apply to the study of all phenomena.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on May 14th, 2017, 1:55 pm 

vivian maxine » Sun May 14, 2017 5:41 am wrote:Or simply a group of people willing to sweat for a pay check, each with his own mind on his own problems and/or wishes.

In this example, capitalism is the unseen intelligence controlling it all because of human greed.

If there were a galactic intelligence involved, it would be an alien race that introduced the concept of capitalism to the human race so that humans could wipe the planet barren of life, concentrate all the resources like metals into single structures and the alien race could then just land on an oil free ground, methane rich atmosphere with all the metals concentrated for them.

Perhaps the alien species on Venus is looking to expand outward in the solar system?
The thing that makes the most sense however is they are just looking for the human race to concentrate all the metals and then dye off after the biological destruction. Then they can just land and take the metals.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

vivian maxineBraininvat liked this post

Postby Braininvat on May 14th, 2017, 2:59 pm 

Sounds a little like the plot of that sci-fi movie with Charlie Sheen as the radio astronomer. Heh.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on May 14th, 2017, 3:09 pm 

If the alien species came from Venus, they would likely freeze to death in mid-August on Earth. No?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on May 14th, 2017, 3:10 pm 

Sounds a little like the plot of that sci-fi movie with Charlie Sheen as the radio astronomer. Heh.

I just looked that movie up. 1996 The Arrival
I never seen or heard of it before. lol
Also looks like they just did a remake released last November which I hadn't heard of either.
In the 2016 trailer they even mentioned "forcing us to work together"
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on May 16th, 2017, 11:45 pm 

Just watched Arrival 2016 from redbox

It was unexpected and artsy.

Also just found out one of the actors in the movie (who I won't name) is one of my neighbors.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on May 17th, 2017, 3:51 am 

This reminds me of a neuroscientist who was comparing ant colonies to neural networks. He uprooted an ant colony and gave them too possible new homes to go to. What happened was once a certain number of ants decided upon one of the homes they all instantly moved to their new home. He was unsure of exactly how they communicated this btw.

What struck me was this "threshold", and all "thresholds". Everywhere in nature we are equipped to observe thresholds that change the nature of a system. Same goes for bacteria and the threshold of populations at which they stop/start reproducing.

What is fascinating is that we can appreciate, if not comprehend, the idea of such an 'order' emerging from our individual actions. One human does something, but in a group of humans something we call "community" emerges as if from nowhere. And now I'll go away and think about entropy again ...
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby handmade on May 17th, 2017, 7:55 am 

Alan McDougall » May 13th, 2017, 10:15 pm wrote: The human hive mind

As an engineer constructing a huge power-station over here in South Africa, I often thought if some galactic intelligence hovered above, it would think that some sort of a hive mind was making these little creatures we call humans work together, as if they were being driven by some unseen intelligent source

We can observe the same things if we watch ants constructing a huge ant-heap. Are they driven by a hive mind that combined make them as intelligent as us, or is it just an illusion and mindless direction by instinct above.

Alan

I have got to admit a very good thread topic and an interesting notion I have considered myself but in a different format.

Good question, am I really writing these words now or is there some form of control making me write these words?
I have to think to write, as if pulling the words right out of fresh air, are these my words or the words I am being ordered to write?

Is our subliminal state under control?

Of course then we have the control of money and power, you are working because you need to live, eat and probably support a family, you are controlled by money .
You were controlled by subjective education also, education prepares you to be a '''robot'' for corporation.

We are not free people, we are owned.
handmade
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on May 17th, 2017, 9:38 am 

Just to be clear, "Arrival" is not a remake of "The Arrival" (1996) and bears no similarity to it. The 2016 film is based on a fine short story by Ted Chiang.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby hyksos on May 17th, 2017, 11:26 pm 

zetreque » May 14th, 2017, 9:55 pm wrote:
vivian maxine » Sun May 14, 2017 5:41 am wrote:Or simply a group of people willing to sweat for a pay check, each with his own mind on his own problems and/or wishes.

In this example, capitalism is the unseen intelligence controlling it all because of human greed.

If there were a galactic intelligence involved, it would be an alien race that introduced the concept of capitalism to the human race so that humans could wipe the planet barren of life, concentrate all the resources like metals into single structures and the alien race could then just land on an oil free ground, methane rich atmosphere with all the metals concentrated for them.

Perhaps the alien species on Venus is looking to expand outward in the solar system?
The thing that makes the most sense however is they are just looking for the human race to concentrate all the metals and then dye off after the biological destruction. Then they can just land and take the metals.

http://i.imgur.com/8y5ABu4.gifv
hyksos

Postby eagle on June 2nd, 2017, 9:14 am 

We use the ants' system. :)

I read a book a few years ago, can't remember the exact title off hand, positing that humans have basically ape bodies and insect economies. Makes sense to me! :)
eagle
Forum Neophyte

Return to Anything Science