Some Suggestions for Publishing Science Papers

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

Some Suggestions for Publishing Science Papers

Postby Pivot on September 6th, 2019, 2:47 am 

The publishing of Science-related papers can be problematic and quite expensive. If you are involved in research at a University or commercial research organisation you are encouraged to publish and the cost of publishing is buried somewhere in the organisation’s budget. If you are a hobbyist researcher, the time and cost of publishing is down to you. Problems for all relate to formatting requirements based upon dodgy templates which can be frustrating, time-wasting and the end product might fall well short of what you want.

One popular site is viXra at http://vixra.org/, which is a free publishing site that provides easy publishing in a pdf format with virtually no formatting requirements. It is good for papers up to 20 pages or so, but is more a pre-publishing facility. Unfortunately it is greatly used by Russian researchers trying to bi-pass their publishing restrictions and your paper may get lost, squeezed in amongst un-translated Russian-language papers.

Then there are the Journal publishers who, for a fee of $US200 upwards (quite steeply upwards for many North American sites), will publish papers in a range of journals, many of dubious repute and/or distribution. They have restrictions on the size of articles (usually 10 to 20 pages) and have strict format requirements. They do provide formatting templates that help to a certain extent, but these can create editing problems as well. When the templates play up, it can be difficult and time consuming to find out what is causing the problem (software version incompatibility, operating system, PC platform etc.). Another problem is that the editing is done remotely, usually via email, is tedious with lots of uploading of corrected versions, and you can end up losing control of your document.

Should your paper exceed 20 pages, or should you wish to publish a series of related papers in the one volume, then e-book publishing is worth looking at. Publications in e-book format for allow for easy access and reading using a phone, tablet or PC from anywhere any time (peoples’ lunch breaks, on the bus or train, in bed, and, with audio output, when driving a car). Formatting at the free Smashwords site is in terms of guidelines of do’s and don’ts rather than a fixed template. Thus it is up to you as to the format and organisation of your material, and you stay in control. And you can make your work available free or at a price if you wish to make some money (which is difficult without sexual content, so I am told). Also, you can then set up a discussion stream in the Physics Forum to debate your e-book content.

Your work is downloadable as a pdf and a variety of miscellaneous e-book formats from the one Smashwords site (by the way, I have no commercial connection with Smashwords and there are possibly other sites that offer similar facilities). I have recently published three e-books this way and you may be interested to have a look at the results. It will also increase my reader base. Hyperlinks to the Smashwords web pages where you can download a free copy of my e-book series, by topic theme, are:

It is surprising how flexible e-book publishing is, and it is quite easy to do. My e-books contain a lot of detailed technical colour graphics that remain remarkably clear in shrunken e-pub form, even on a small-screen phone. Many e-book apps provide an audio-speak option that allows you to listen to the text of the book, with an active cursor dynamically highlighting the words as they are being spoken which certainly saves the eyes. Auto-audio is possibly a little monotone, but on my PC the intonation is surprisingly good: I was surprised how well it sounded. Apparently, for extra cost a professional audio version of the e-book can be created.

I hope that this information, which reflects my own experiences of publishing computing and science-related papers, is of interest to any would-be publishers out there.
Pivot
Forum Neophyte

Faradave liked this post

Re: Some Suggestions for Publishing Science Papers

Postby doogles on September 6th, 2019, 9:00 pm 

Good day to you Pivot.

Your OP on publishing was spot-on, in my opinion. If you are an independent thinker on any subject and wish to publish through traditional Journals, the task is almost impossible. You don't fit any of the criteria for publishing.

I've tried with a couple of scientific papers and have discovered that there's a very solid brick wall.

I finished up doing as you've suggested and actually published roughly a 100-page dissertation on Vitamin K as a therapy or preventative supplement for many degenerative disease with SMASHWORDS. It is all evidence-based -- there are 100 or so hyperlinks to its possible role in atherosclerosis, osteoarthritis, cardiovascular events, dementia, stroke, lower back pain and cataracts. It reversed my own serious atherosclerosis and the effects that this was having on end-organ degenerative diseases. Just in case you have a personal interest in such matters outside of your own interest of Physics, it is currently FREE on this site -- https://www.smashwords.com/books/search ... wheelchair.

If I had to provide a negative criticism about Smashwords , it is that the potential readers have to know what they are looking for. And it is not the fault of the Smashwords people.

Apparently the Catalogue Lists that all book sellers use, are determined by an International Committee. For example, I did publish another book on my 25 years of experience as a country veterinarian. If you happened to be someone who enjoyed reading such a genre, you would not find it on that site under the catalogue title of 'Veterinary'. You would have to look under such primary titles as "Health and Welfare' and a sub-category of 'Medicine' where 'Veterinary' appears as a sub-sub-category.

The huge plus of course is that it is a website you can direct people to, if you have a point to make.
doogles

Return to Anything Science