tech firms?

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

tech firms?

Postby vivian maxine on February 6th, 2017, 11:20 am 

I would not ask had this not come from Washington Post. What is a tech firm and how did Facebook, Twitter and Netflix become "tech firms" Crain's St Louis (a local business newsletter) printed this from Washington Post.

Tech firms to call travel ban 'unlawful' in rare coordination

Facebook, Twitter, Netflix and other prominent tech companies plan to file a legal brief Monday opposing the Trump administration’s contentious entry ban, according to people familiar with the matter. The amicus brief is expected to be filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, which is expected to rule soon on an appeal by the administration after a federal judge in Seattle late Friday issued a temporary restraining order putting the entry ban on hold. (Washington Post)

Edit: I found the story at Washington Post. Even Uber is a tech company. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 63cc4a835c
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: tech firms?

Postby Braininvat on February 6th, 2017, 12:07 pm 

Yeah, I think of Intel or HP or Siemens as tech firms. FB and Twit seem more like social media. Uber is a taxi service.

Seems like sloppy writing.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Eclogite on February 6th, 2017, 4:57 pm 

Regardless of former meaning is the current meaning not one wherein a tech firm is defined by its extensive and intensive use of modern technology, in particular computer systems, to achieve its aims? That is how I understand it and that would fit the examples Vivian provided.

This switch from a definition based on manufacture of tech to one based on use of tech mirrors the move from manufacturing industries to service industries within the workplace at large.

I'm comfortable with the usage, but have not done any investigation to see if my thoughts hold water.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on February 6th, 2017, 5:11 pm 

Eclogite » February 6th, 2017, 3:57 pm wrote:Regardless of former meaning is the current meaning not one wherein a tech firm is defined by its extensive and intensive use of modern technology, in particular computer systems, to achieve its aims? That is how I understand it and that would fit the examples Vivian provided.

This switch from a definition based on manufacture of tech to one based on use of tech mirrors the move from manufacturing industries to service industries within the workplace at large.

I'm comfortable with the usage, but have not done any investigation to see if my thoughts hold water.

This is what a friend of mine says, also. But, aren't almost all businesses using the new technologies now? Seems to me that, if we are going to call every company that uses these technologies in their businesses a tech firm,it somehow loses any special meaning. Even the little kosks in malls use computers now.

Maybe I'm not drawing the line fine enough. I know what I mean but can't quite make it clear.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Anything Science