March for Science

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

March for Science

Postby zetreque on February 25th, 2017, 2:42 am 

Earth Day is coming up and this year is set to have a large world wide march for science (as part of political activism).
https://www.marchforscience.com/

Is anyone planning to attend one near them?
There are 331 thousand followers on the twitter page so far and 299 different marches planned.
https://www.marchforscience.com/satellite-marches/
Somehow I was nominated to run a sign making booth at ours without actually giving my consent. lol
I usually don't celebrate Earth Day because celebrating has a carbon footprint. The sign making booth is going to have recycled materials though. There is a fashion show where kids make clothing out of "trash." and some other fun things going on.
I have been included in the committee assembling the event, observing it and it's pretty interesting and sounds fun. It's getting people talking about how science has impacted their lives locally and globally. It sure has impacted the lives of people around where I live over the years and many, including myself, don't realize the extent to which it has.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)
SciameriKen liked this post

Re: March for Science

Postby someguy1 on February 25th, 2017, 5:54 pm 

The American College of Pediatricians is officially on record that diagnosing children as transgender is harmful. https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-spea ... s-children

I only mention this to point out that the left likes science sometimes and not other times.

BTW the march for science is not about how "science has impacted our lives." It's a political event claiming that the left is pro-science and the right isn't. But as the example I gave shows, that's very selective. Like Federalism and states rights. The left is against states rights unless we're talking sanctuary cities or weed. Then the left channels Jefferson Davis.
someguy1

Postby zetreque on February 25th, 2017, 5:57 pm 

someguy1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:54 pm wrote:The American College of Pediatricians is officially on record that diagnosing children as transgender is harmful. https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-spea ... s-children

I only mention this to point out that the left likes science sometimes and not other times.

Sounds like a completely different topic and is broadly vague and assumptive statement. I suggest starting a new topic on one or the other.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on February 25th, 2017, 6:00 pm 

someguy1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:54 pm wrote:BTW the march for science is not about how "science has impacted our lives." It's a political event claiming that the left is pro-science and the right isn't. But as the example I gave shows, that's very selective. Like Federalism and states rights. The left is against states rights unless we're talking sanctuary cities or weed. Then the left channels Jefferson Davis.

Depends on which march you go to. Each of the 299 is separately organized with separate people but they do collaborate between. Science is for EVERYONE.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby someguy1 on February 25th, 2017, 6:02 pm 

zetreque » February 25th, 2017, 3:57 pm wrote:
someguy1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:54 pm wrote:The American College of Pediatricians is officially on record that diagnosing children as transgender is harmful. https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-spea ... s-children

Sounds like a completely different topic and is broadly vague and assumptive statement. I suggest starting a new topic on one or the other.

No not true. I support transgender rights. I am only pointing out that when it comes to transgenderism, the left is not generally on the side of actual science. And yes the march for science is a political event. I love science but both the left and the right are very selective about "facts".
someguy1

Postby zetreque on February 25th, 2017, 6:07 pm 

someguy1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:02 pm wrote:
zetreque » February 25th, 2017, 3:57 pm wrote:

No not true. I support transgender rights. I am only pointing out that when it comes to transgenderism, the left is not generally on the side of actual science. And yes the march for science is a political event. I love science but both the left and the right are very selective about "facts".

It would be nice if people stopped supporting this left right attitude. I am pointing out that the event (at least where I am at) is my intention that is is about science in general despite it being a catalyzed by recent politics. Science is important to everyone's lives. It doesn't matter who you are or what group you are in, everyone likes to pick and choose their supporting facts. The entire judiciary system is built doing just that. A major goal in science is objectivity.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Athena liked this post

Postby someguy1 on February 25th, 2017, 6:31 pm 

zetreque » February 25th, 2017, 4:07 pm wrote:It would be nice if people stopped supporting this left right attitude. I am pointing out that the event (at least where I am at) is my intention that is is about science in general despite it being a catalyzed by recent politics.

Beg to differ. Here is the quote at the very tippy top of the link you yourself provided.

The March for Science is a celebration of our passion for science and a call to support and safeguard the scientific community. Recent policy changes have caused heightened worry among scientists, and the incredible and immediate outpouring of support has made clear that these concerns are also shared by hundreds of thousands of people around the world. The mischaracterization of science as a partisan issue, which has given policymakers permission to reject overwhelming evidence, is a critical and urgent matter. It is time for people who support scientific research and evidence-based policies to take a public stand and be counted.

Emphasis mine. As you can see, that link puts politics front and center. Therefore my political response is perfectly on topic. The march for science does indeed have a political agenda; and that agenda denies that the left distorts and abuses science just as much as the right does.

If the very link you provided did not falsify your claim that this event is non-political, I would not have mentioned it. I'm happy to support science but not politics masquerading as science. Just call it the "We hate Trump" march and be done with it.

If you reply I'll let you have the last word, I've already said my piece.
someguy1

Postby zetreque on February 25th, 2017, 6:40 pm 

I would like to ask you for evidence that the "right" accepts science even close to how much the "left."
The far majority of court cases has the right disregarding and distrusting science for economic gain and personal property rights over the science of the benefits for the many outweighing the benefits of the few which actually supports long term economic health as well.

Therefore I think the argument that the left falsifies denies or distorts science as much as the right is simply not true.

It is important to have these conversations because science is what makes the technology that has come to define humanity. That's why regardless of this being politically motivated, it's a worth wile endevour.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Athena on February 26th, 2017, 12:26 am 

I am concerned that some of you are underestimating the seriousness of the problem.

This video explains why there is so much denial of a climate change. The problem is human nature and treating it as a political problem instead of a human nature people, is like saying the problem is only a pimple and not acne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2euBvdP28c

For us, in the US the big issue is global warming, but in India and Africa, the big issue is the importance of sanitation and immunization, and in Mexico the problem is ignorance of harmful foods and marketing these harmful foods to people who don't know they cause diabetes. I have been communicating with a man in India who insist efforts to immunize people against measles is an intentionally evil attempt of democracy to harm people. That communication is probably coming to an end because it is so irrational, but this person represents how ignorant are people and this is an international problem as it fuels hatred of the US, and as we recently experienced, this health problem threatens our volunteers overseas and brings very dangerous diseases into our country.

Please expand on what you think about the serious of the ignorance we are dealing with, at home and around the world.
Athena
Banned User

BioWizard liked this post

Postby zetreque on March 3rd, 2017, 3:47 pm 

NOVA raising money for new science special.
Secrets of Molecules

NOVA turns 43 years old today!
#ThankYouScience

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nova-wgbh/join-nova-make-beyond-the-elements
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Athena on March 5th, 2017, 1:49 pm 

zetreque » March 3rd, 2017, 1:47 pm wrote:NOVA raising money for new science special.
Secrets of Molecules

#ThankYouScience

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nova-wgbh/join-nova-make-beyond-the-elements

I really do not have the money to just give away, but I have a tiny bit of discretionary money I can use for very important things. Instead of just giving money to Nova and also very much wanting to support it, I have ordered a DVD of Hunting the Elements, that I can use for educating my great grandchildren and neighbors. It makes sense to me that Nova should be self-supporting by selling DVD's if we are willing to buy them. This may not count for justifying the next Nova show by achieving the $200,000 donation goal, but I hope it does help.

How about this, I can have an Earth Day party and show the video after we do the March for the Science.
Athena
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on April 7th, 2017, 11:57 am 

zetreque » February 25th, 2017, 1:42 am wrote:Earth Day is coming up and this year is set to have a large world wide march for science (as part of political activism).
https://www.marchforscience.com/

Is anyone planning to attend one near them?
There are 331 thousand followers on the twitter page so far and 299 different marches planned.
https://www.marchforscience.com/satellite-marches/
Somehow I was nominated to run a sign making booth at ours without actually giving my consent. lol
I usually don't celebrate Earth Day because celebrating has a carbon footprint. The sign making booth is going to have recycled materials though. There is a fashion show where kids make clothing out of "trash." and some other fun things going on.
I have been included in the committee assembling the event, observing it and it's pretty interesting and sounds fun. It's getting people talking about how science has impacted their lives locally and globally. It sure has impacted the lives of people around where I live over the years and many, including myself, don't realize the extent to which it has.

Is that what it is all about? shucks! I thought it was to celebrate my birthday. Oh well, light a candle for me? :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Athena on April 8th, 2017, 3:09 pm 

zetreque » March 3rd, 2017, 1:47 pm wrote:NOVA raising money for new science special.
Secrets of Molecules

#ThankYouScience

I have enjoyed the DVD about the elements several times. It might not be as much fun to watch for someone who already knows the information, but I am a learner and for me, it was fascinating.
Athena
Banned User

Return to Anything Science