What is actual space made of?

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

What is actual space made of?

Postby handmade on April 20th, 2017, 7:18 am 

If we could remove all the EMR from the observable Universe, what would the space that is left be made of?
handmade

Re: What is actual space made of?

Postby bangstrom on April 25th, 2017, 5:41 am 

Besides space, the remains would be time and gravity. Gravity is often described as curved spacetime so curved spacetime (aka ‘gravity’) is what would remain. It is hard to visualize how either space or time can curve so I prefer to think of gravity as shorter space and slower time since lengths appear shorter and clocks tick slower in a gravitational field. In other words, take away EMR and spacetime remains.
bangstrom

Faradave liked this post

Postby someguy1 on April 25th, 2017, 6:39 pm 

Ok so what happens when you remove gravity? Isn't the latest big idea that "nothing" implies the laws of physics plus quantum foam? What happens when you remove those?
someguy1

Postby handmade on April 25th, 2017, 8:18 pm 

bangstrom » April 25th, 2017, 4:41 am wrote:Besides space, the remains would be time and gravity. Gravity is often described as curved spacetime so curved spacetime (aka ‘gravity’) is what would remain. It is hard to visualize how either space or time can curve so I prefer to think of gravity as shorter space and slower time since lengths appear shorter and clocks tick slower in a gravitational field. In other words, take away EMR and spacetime remains.

How can gravity remain when space apparently has no mass?
handmade

Postby handmade on April 25th, 2017, 8:19 pm 

someguy1 » April 25th, 2017, 5:39 pm wrote:Ok so what happens when you remove gravity? Isn't the latest big idea that "nothing" implies the laws of physics plus quantum foam? What happens when you remove those?

Nothing = without dimension

nothing = made of nothing

Maybe space is just nothing and we should accept that it is nothing?
handmade

Postby someguy1 on April 25th, 2017, 8:24 pm 

Space can't be nothing, it has many properties according to Einstein. If space is subject to the laws of physics, then it's not nothing. And the laws of physics aren't nothing.

Newtonian space is nothing. It's empty, devoid of matter and also of properties. But relativistic space is a thing with properties, if I'm understanding correctly. Per my understanding, space is the thing that's distorted by gravity. And dually, gravity is the distortion of space. Or spacetime, since you can't disentangle space from time.

So space definitely is not nothing, in the modern theory of gravity.

The question "what is space" is a darn good one in my book. I don't think anyone knows. Before the big bang there was no spacetime. So what was before the big bang? That's a question that by definition lies outside the realm of science. But that doesn't make is a bad question, just a difficult one.
someguy1

Postby BurtJordaan on April 26th, 2017, 1:57 am 

In Newton's days, 'empty space' was filled with the aether. In Einstein's days, 'empty space' became de Sitter spacetime, being curved by the cosmological constant. Modern physics fills the de Sitter spacetime with a "quantum froth" or "foam" that someguy1 was talking about, but presently nobody knows how the two (de Sitter and quantum effects) are to be fitted together.
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby bangstrom on April 26th, 2017, 3:48 am 

handmade » April 25th, 2017, 7:18 pm wrote:

The question involved removing EM emissions from space. I assume that to mean that matter remains so we can still observe the effects of gravity.

Correction: Gravity would remain but we would be blind to the effects.
bangstrom

Postby handmade on April 27th, 2017, 9:17 pm 

BurtJordaan » April 26th, 2017, 12:57 am wrote:In Newton's days, 'empty space' was filled with the aether. In Einstein's days, 'empty space' became de Sitter spacetime, being curved by the cosmological constant. Modern physics fills the de Sitter spacetime with a "quantum froth" or "foam" that someguy1 was talking about, but presently nobody knows how the two (de Sitter and quantum effects) are to be fitted together.

Fills with ''quantum froth''? suggesting it was empty to be filled. Space-time curvature is not necessarily a curving of space itself, I do not think anywhere does Einstein suggest that it was space itself that was curving.
Absolute space by Newton is seemingly logical sense, to remove all matter and EMR from space must only leave space (a perfect vacuum).
I am pretty sure that space has no solidity, I am also pretty sure it can neither be displaced or destroyed.

There is a certainty in my mind that Einstein's thoughts were more of the unseen in space such has gravity and light which is invisible between masses . I personally think he was imaging these unseen ''things'' curved .
handmade

Postby handmade on April 27th, 2017, 9:21 pm 

bangstrom » April 26th, 2017, 2:48 am wrote:
handmade » April 25th, 2017, 7:18 pm wrote:

The question involved removing EM emissions from space. I assume that to mean that matter remains so we can still observe the effects of gravity.

Correction: Gravity would remain but we would be blind to the effects.

Why would gravity remain? There is no logic in suggesting anything would remain. Space has to have a ''viscosity'' of 0.
handmade

Postby handmade on April 27th, 2017, 9:23 pm 

someguy1 » April 25th, 2017, 7:24 pm wrote:Space can't be nothing, it has many properties according to Einstein. If space is subject to the laws of physics, then it's not nothing. And the laws of physics aren't nothing.

How is space subject to the laws of physics without physicality?
handmade

Postby someguy1 on April 27th, 2017, 10:14 pm 

handmade » April 27th, 2017, 7:23 pm wrote:
someguy1 » April 25th, 2017, 7:24 pm wrote:Space can't be nothing, it has many properties according to Einstein. If space is subject to the laws of physics, then it's not nothing. And the laws of physics aren't nothing.

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Whatever space is, it's subject to the laws of physics. To me, "nothing" would not be subject to anything at all. It could not be affected by physical laws. It's nothing. A thing that is affected by physical law can not be nothing.
someguy1

Postby BurtJordaan on April 28th, 2017, 1:20 am 

handmade » 28 Apr 2017, 03:17 wrote:Fills with ''quantum froth''? suggesting it was empty to be filled. Space-time curvature is not necessarily a curving of space itself, I do not think anywhere does Einstein suggest that it was space itself that was curving.
Absolute space by Newton is seemingly logical sense, to remove all matter and EMR from space must only leave space (a perfect vacuum).

In quantum gravity parlance, 'empty space' was always filled with this "froth", not from some time onward.
You are right that empty de Sitter space does not have to be spatially curved, but it could be. De Sitter spacetime is empty and always curved, having an inherent energy density component of the cosmological constant. Minkowski spacetime is a flat, special case of de Sitter spacetime, with vanishingly small cosmological constant energy component in a small region of space.
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Postby handmade on April 28th, 2017, 2:05 am 

someguy1 » April 27th, 2017, 9:14 pm wrote:
handmade » April 27th, 2017, 7:23 pm wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Whatever space is, it's subject to the laws of physics. To me, "nothing" would not be subject to anything at all. It could not be affected by physical laws. It's nothing. A thing that is affected by physical law can not be nothing.

The thing is, there is no evidence that points to or suggests space is anything but space and any other than that information would be subjective. I do not know why you are saying space is affected by physical laws as if fact when there is no evidence for that or any sort of evidence that space is made of anything.

Space can not be displaced (moved), space is relatively stationary to observation , always at rest compared to a moving body or moving ''energy''.

Space also passes through things and things pass through space while things are being displaced. (provable in experiment by using a balloon inflating inside a box).
handmade

vivian maxine liked this post

Postby handmade on April 28th, 2017, 2:09 am 

BurtJordaan » April 28th, 2017, 12:20 am wrote:
handmade » 28 Apr 2017, 03:17 wrote:Fills with ''quantum froth''? suggesting it was empty to be filled. Space-time curvature is not necessarily a curving of space itself, I do not think anywhere does Einstein suggest that it was space itself that was curving.

In quantum gravity parlance, 'empty space' was always filled with this "froth", not from some time onward.
You are right that empty de Sitter space does not have to be spatially curved, but it could be. De Sitter spacetime is empty and always curved, having an inherent energy density component of the cosmological constant. Minkowski spacetime is a flat, special case of de Sitter spacetime, with vanishingly small cosmological constant energy component in a small region of space.

When people use the word filled, they are suggesting empty to begin with. I would prefer to say the Quantum foam permeates directly proportionate to the amount of space .
handmade

Postby vivian maxine on April 28th, 2017, 8:16 am 

handmaid, right or wrong - who am I to say? - I like your down-to-earth common sensical approach.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby BurtJordaan on April 28th, 2017, 12:43 pm 

handmade » 28 Apr 2017, 08:09 wrote:When people use the word filled, they are suggesting empty to begin with. I would prefer to say the Quantum foam permeates directly proportionate to the amount of space .

I think 'permeate' is actually a worse word, by its common as well as scientific meaning. If the whole idea of quantum foam is correct, it must have filled all of space from the beginning, whatever 'beginning' might mean...
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Postby handmade on April 28th, 2017, 5:20 pm 

vivian maxine » April 28th, 2017, 7:16 am wrote:handmaid, right or wrong - who am I to say? - I like your down-to-earth common sensical approach.

Thank you, who are you to say? you are an observer relative to me and I an observer relative to you , what two observers agree on is relative. If you agree with me, it is relative.

That is why earlier I mentioned before writing a theory I was looking for relative agreement in discussion.
handmade

Postby handmade on April 28th, 2017, 5:22 pm 

BurtJordaan » April 28th, 2017, 11:43 am wrote:
handmade » 28 Apr 2017, 08:09 wrote:When people use the word filled, they are suggesting empty to begin with. I would prefer to say the Quantum foam permeates directly proportionate to the amount of space .

I think 'permeate' is actually a worse word, by its common as well as scientific meaning. If the whole idea of quantum foam is correct, it must have filled all of space from the beginning, whatever 'beginning' might mean...

If you fill a box with water , doe's the water not spread out thoroughly in the box?
handmade

Return to Anything Science