What is actual space made of?

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

What is actual space made of?

Postby handmade on April 20th, 2017, 7:18 am 

If we could remove all the EMR from the observable Universe, what would the space that is left be made of?
handmade
Forum Neophyte

Re: What is actual space made of?

Postby bangstrom on April 25th, 2017, 5:41 am 

Besides space, the remains would be time and gravity. Gravity is often described as curved spacetime so curved spacetime (aka ‘gravity’) is what would remain. It is hard to visualize how either space or time can curve so I prefer to think of gravity as shorter space and slower time since lengths appear shorter and clocks tick slower in a gravitational field. In other words, take away EMR and spacetime remains.
bangstrom

Faradave liked this post

Postby someguy1 on April 25th, 2017, 6:39 pm 

Ok so what happens when you remove gravity? Isn't the latest big idea that "nothing" implies the laws of physics plus quantum foam? What happens when you remove those?
someguy1

Postby handmade on April 25th, 2017, 8:18 pm 

bangstrom » April 25th, 2017, 4:41 am wrote:Besides space, the remains would be time and gravity. Gravity is often described as curved spacetime so curved spacetime (aka ‘gravity’) is what would remain. It is hard to visualize how either space or time can curve so I prefer to think of gravity as shorter space and slower time since lengths appear shorter and clocks tick slower in a gravitational field. In other words, take away EMR and spacetime remains.

How can gravity remain when space apparently has no mass?
handmade
Forum Neophyte

Postby handmade on April 25th, 2017, 8:19 pm 

someguy1 » April 25th, 2017, 5:39 pm wrote:Ok so what happens when you remove gravity? Isn't the latest big idea that "nothing" implies the laws of physics plus quantum foam? What happens when you remove those?

Nothing = without dimension

nothing = made of nothing

Maybe space is just nothing and we should accept that it is nothing?
handmade
Forum Neophyte

Postby someguy1 on April 25th, 2017, 8:24 pm 

Space can't be nothing, it has many properties according to Einstein. If space is subject to the laws of physics, then it's not nothing. And the laws of physics aren't nothing.

Newtonian space is nothing. It's empty, devoid of matter and also of properties. But relativistic space is a thing with properties, if I'm understanding correctly. Per my understanding, space is the thing that's distorted by gravity. And dually, gravity is the distortion of space. Or spacetime, since you can't disentangle space from time.

So space definitely is not nothing, in the modern theory of gravity.

The question "what is space" is a darn good one in my book. I don't think anyone knows. Before the big bang there was no spacetime. So what was before the big bang? That's a question that by definition lies outside the realm of science. But that doesn't make is a bad question, just a difficult one.
someguy1

Postby BurtJordaan on April 26th, 2017, 1:57 am 

In Newton's days, 'empty space' was filled with the aether. In Einstein's days, 'empty space' became de Sitter spacetime, being curved by the cosmological constant. Modern physics fills the de Sitter spacetime with a "quantum froth" or "foam" that someguy1 was talking about, but presently nobody knows how the two (de Sitter and quantum effects) are to be fitted together.
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby bangstrom on April 26th, 2017, 3:48 am 

handmade » April 25th, 2017, 7:18 pm wrote:
How can gravity remain when space apparently has no mass?

The question involved removing EM emissions from space. I assume that to mean that matter remains so we can still observe the effects of gravity.

Correction: Gravity would remain but we would be blind to the effects.
bangstrom

Return to Anything Science