Stopping time

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

Stopping time

Postby Peroxis on April 30th, 2017, 10:13 am 

Dont know best category to put this.
Just double checking my understanding.

If there was an area which had no energy. And no energy could enter. Then would everything neither deteriorate, nor be cold nor move.
And if this was all the case, would this mean that time was stopped in this area?
But even if this is true, it is not possible because every piece of matter is made of energy.
So this could only be possible in a place that truly had nothing.
Peroxis
Forum Neophyte

Re: Stopping time

Postby bangstrom on April 30th, 2017, 4:43 pm 

This is true but the place containing both matter and gravity can have a net energy of nothing.

I lifted this from a comment I just left in another thread.

As Pascual Jordan explained in the 1920’s, matter is a highly concentrated form of energy so matter and energy are two forms of the same thing that Jordan called “positive energy.” Gravity is what Jordan called “negative energy” since it takes energy to separate one massive body from another. The energy required to create matter comes from the background spacetime leaving an energy debit (negative energy) that follows matter around like an unpaid bill collector and this negative energy is what we call gravity.

Jordan speculated that a star contains equal amounts of positive energy (matter and energy) and negative energy (gravity) so the net energy of a star is zero and, by extension, the net energy of the universe is zero so it takes no energy to create a universe.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.” Stephen Hawking
bangstrom

Postby Peroxis on April 30th, 2017, 9:34 pm 

Thats interesting. I assume "gravity" is some effect of all the nothing or something that is between protons and neutrons.

Is this space assumed to be what dark matter is? Dark matter is thee same thing as higgs boson?

Are people leaning towards thinking that this empty space is actually energy of some kind as well?
Peroxis
Forum Neophyte

Postby bangstrom on May 1st, 2017, 4:35 am 

Peroxis » April 30th, 2017, 8:34 pm wrote:Thats interesting. I assume "gravity" is some effect of all the nothing or something that is between protons and neutrons.

Is this space assumed to be what dark matter is? Dark matter is thee same thing as higgs boson?

Are people leaning towards thinking that this empty space is actually energy of some kind as well?

Pascual Jordan’s theory begins with the origin of the universe as a giant quantum fluctuation. One half of the fluctuation was positive energy drawn from the vacuum of space and the other half was negative energy or what remained of space when the energy was removed. This negative portion is what we observe as gravity.

I won’t speculate about dark matter or the Higgs boson but lots of people are speculating about extracting energy from empty space. Nearly all claim to have a successful plan or working invention but they need investment money. This has been a long running scam.

All matter has a lowest possible energy state because atomic particles are in constant motion. Even at absolute zero, a certain amount of motion remains as kinetic energy. This is known as zero-point energy (ZPE) or ground state energy. The Germans call it “die Zitterbewegung” (jitter-movement) and this zero-point energy never vanishes as a consequence of the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics where we can never observe the exact position of a particle. It is speculated that, if this energy (ZPE) can be extracted from matter, the matter will extract more energy from the vacuum to maintain its ZPE and this could be an infinite energy well.
bangstrom

Postby handmade on May 1st, 2017, 7:48 am 

Peroxis » April 30th, 2017, 9:13 am wrote:Dont know best category to put this.
Just double checking my understanding.

If there was an area which had no energy. And no energy could enter. Then would everything neither deteriorate, nor be cold nor move.
And if this was all the case, would this mean that time was stopped in this area?
But even if this is true, it is not possible because every piece of matter is made of energy.
So this could only be possible in a place that truly had nothing.

Well technically the enclosed area would be cold, without energy there is no heat manufactured by process. However this doe's not mean time has stopped in this area, it simply means there is no timing in the area, nothing in motion to time by relative timing.
The interesting thing is though, if you were all alone in this area, a single entity, you still could not time time by timing, because you have no timing of relativity and no light to observe relative timing.
Time would be absolute for you.
handmade
Banned User

Return to Anything Science