Can somebody define a particle to me please?

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

Can somebody define a particle to me please?

Postby handmade on May 5th, 2017, 12:08 pm 

I have just got banned from a rather poor ran forum for discussing particles.

I explain particles with solidity like atoms, and then theoretical particles like the higgs, in being like photons without solidity.

Anything wrong in that?
handmade
Banned User

Re: Can somebody define a particle to me please?

Postby Braininvat on May 5th, 2017, 12:22 pm 

We had a thread recently.....

http://sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=32191

....chatting about the ontology of subatomic particles, i.e. the essential nature of "what they actually are." In physics, this is a very difficult matter, as the word "particle" is often a way of describing a measurement of a field excitation or perturbation in a particular way and shouldn't be taken as an accurate visual model of a "thing." I urge you to read this thread (though Hyksos' posts may not be quite at a beginner level if that's your point of departure, but others may be more accessible....) and then decide if you want a separate thread for this, or take up the matter further over there.

There is no simple answer at a scale where "solidity" doesn't really mean what it does in our ordinary experience of the world.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on May 5th, 2017, 6:26 pm 

handmade » May 5th, 2017, 10:08 am wrote:I have just got banned from a rather poor ran forum for discussing particles.

I explain particles with solidity like atoms, and then theoretical particles like the higgs, in being like photons without solidity.

Anything wrong in that?

I haven't gotten banned anywhere yet but from time to time I get so upset about something I have to take a long self-imposed vacation. It's weird the way we get emotional about these forums. No wait I think I did get banned somewhere once. I just registered a new handle.

I don't think atoms are regarded as solid anymore. Some guy named Rutherford found that there are smaller particles inside the atom. That was in 1911 or so. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_model

Is that why you got into trouble?
someguy1

Postby handmade on May 5th, 2017, 8:48 pm 

someguy1 » May 5th, 2017, 5:26 pm wrote:
handmade » May 5th, 2017, 10:08 am wrote:I have just got banned from a rather poor ran forum for discussing particles.

Anything wrong in that?

I haven't gotten banned anywhere yet but from time to time I get so upset about something I have to take a long self-imposed vacation. It's weird the way we get emotional about these forums. No wait I think I did get banned somewhere once. I just registered a new handle.

I don't think atoms are regarded as solid anymore. Some guy named Rutherford found that there are smaller particles inside the atom. That was in 1911 or so. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_model

Is that why you got into trouble?

Thank you for the link, I did not even know there was another model of an atom, well I learn something new everyday.

What got me into trouble was asking them to produce a picture of a Higgs Boson in which I already know they could not provide . I then went on to explain the difference between a particle i.e grains of ''sweetcorn'' and a theoretical particle which are beyond the dimensions of light (we cant see them).

I then argued the evidence of a Higgs which is done by reading data, is rather weak and at best supposition without any physical evidence.

We have evidence we can trip over, then we have theoretical evidence and logic, the former being proof, the later being theoretical without any solid evidence.

So virtual particles as I call them are different to particles of solidity, they may or may not exist, but the other forum seem to think that it is 100% fact they do exist.
handmade
Banned User

Postby handmade on May 5th, 2017, 8:50 pm 

Braininvat » May 5th, 2017, 11:22 am wrote:We had a thread recently.....

http://sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=32191

....chatting about the ontology of subatomic particles, i.e. the essential nature of "what they actually are." In physics, this is a very difficult matter, as the word "particle" is often a way of describing a measurement of a field excitation or perturbation in a particular way and shouldn't be taken as an accurate visual model of a "thing." I urge you to read this thread (though Hyksos' posts may not be quite at a beginner level if that's your point of departure, but others may be more accessible....) and then decide if you want a separate thread for this, or take up the matter further over there.

There is no simple answer at a scale where "solidity" doesn't really mean what it does in our ordinary experience of the world.
Thank you I will look this thread over.
handmade
Banned User

Postby mitchellmckain on May 27th, 2017, 2:58 am 

A particle is a point-like visualization of the most elementary components of the physical universe. But when particles like electrons were shown to have wave-like behavior and the electromagnetic waves were shown to have particle-like behavior, then it was realized that neither particle nor wave visualizations of these most fundamental objects entirely captured their reality.

They are now understood to be quantized fields, which means that although they spread out over space like a wave they also have a unitary indivisible existence as well. Thus instead of being divided into particles and waves, the fundamental components of the physical universe are divided into two types of quantized fields, the half spin fermions and integer spin bosons. The fermions obey a rule called the Pauli exclusion principle which means that more than one is not allowed to occupy the same state. It makes them the space-occupying structure-building components of matter. The bosons, however, have no such limitation and that makes them the force fields rather than matter.

Fermion examples: quarks, electrons, neutrinos, protons, neutrons, (although protons and neutrons are consider composites of three quarks)

Boson examples: photons, gravitons, gluons, pions (although pions are considered composites of two quarks), W, Z, and Higgs.

Many of these (especially the fermions) come in a number of different variations. For example electrons also have a antimatter opposite called the positron. There is also a higher mass unstable versions of the electron called the muon and the even more massive tau.

But what are they really? Because the quantized field jargon is mostly just a mathematical construct which helps to calculate effects and interactions. So you might think they are really particles after all and it is just a limitation of science which makes them a little "fuzzy." But the truth is that the scientists were never really happy with the idea of point-like particles because there were always mathematical singularities involved with the idea, where forces would go to infinity.
mitchellmckain

Dave_ObladFaradaveRoccoR liked this post

Postby handmade on June 16th, 2017, 6:29 am 

Would all ''particles'' be hollow?

My reasoning , like wise polarities repulse, so if you can imagine trying to squeeze a ''ball'' of energy in your hand, it will always have an opposing force to your squeeze .
handmade
Banned User

Postby mitchellmckain on June 17th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

handmade » June 16th, 2017, 5:29 am wrote:Would all ''particles'' be hollow?

My reasoning , like wise polarities repulse, so if you can imagine trying to squeeze a ''ball'' of energy in your hand, it will always have an opposing force to your squeeze .

The idea of string theory (M theory) is that particles are vibrations. What makes this work out mathematically is supposing that space-time includes seven more dimensions which are extremely small (i.e. wrapped in a circle of about Plank's length in circumference). When you calculate what are the vibrational modes in this, it gives the spectrum of particles we observe. The principle attraction of the idea was that it made a lot of the infinities of Quantum Field Theory cancel out in renormalization. However, not all the kinks have been worked out of the theory yet and perhaps more importantly nobody has found a way to test it experimentally. Another problem is that a key part of it, supersymmetry, predicts particles which are not observed. Thus, it remains a work in progress.
mitchellmckain

Postby thinker4life on July 4th, 2017, 3:34 pm 

I have just got banned from a rather poor ran forum for discussing particles.

Anything wrong in that?

Is it safe to say that particles consist of "a set of points of mass-energy in a certain configuration," further saying that the specific configuration of the set of mass-energy points defines what type of particle it is. The Particle or Wave argument is one that needs to be measured over time based on behavior, so can't we just define particles this way and keep the definition simple, flexible, and ambiguous enough that it accounts for the fact that the universe changes the further you drill down into it?
thinker4life

Return to Anything Science