Better lithium battery?

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

Better lithium battery?

Postby Athena on September 3rd, 2017, 9:54 pm 

This is still in the future but it expands what we think is possible.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/new-lithium-oxygen-battery-could-one-day-power-electric-cars-n454131?cid=par-weather-right%20module

Scientists have created a battery whose technology in principle could power electric cars and other energy-hungry devices far better than current lithium-ion batteries, but it remains years away from commercial use.

Researchers at the University of Cambridge on Thursday announced the creation of a laboratory demonstration model of a lithium-oxygen battery that overcomes many of the barriers that have held back the development of this technology. They said the battery boasts very high energy density, is about 93 percent efficient — better than previous efforts — and can be recharged more than 2,000 times.
Athena
Banned User

Re: Better lithium battery?

Postby zetreque on September 3rd, 2017, 10:03 pm 

I hear about new battery technologies all the time but rarely see them come to market for various reasons. Does this one have anything to do with graphite? Graphite technology is the one that I hear a lot about right now. We would have had all these dozens of battery technologies ages ago if our country was smart and put subsidies into developing them instead of fossil fuels. I hear the distributed energy technologies are saving Texas from even more headache during the floods.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Athena on September 5th, 2017, 11:43 am 

zetreque » September 3rd, 2017, 8:03 pm wrote:I hear about new battery technologies all the time but rarely see them come to market for various reasons. Does this one have anything to do with graphite? Graphite technology is the one that I hear a lot about right now. We would have had all these dozens of battery technologies ages ago if our country was smart and put subsidies into developing them instead of fossil fuels. I hear the distributed energy technologies are saving Texas from even more headache during the floods.

Please explain "the distributed energy technologies are saving Texas from even more headache during the floods" I really want to know.

Maybe I am just being manic today, but it seems to me this whole forum has suddenly gotten much more meaningful with you and Badger bringing up technology issues and here you mention a mineral, graphite, that might play an important role in developing technology, and Badger is wanting to know the economic repercussions of this developing technology. I am so excited I would go for a brisk walk if the air outsider were breathable.

I had to look up the value of graphite in batteries and found this.

Understanding the key raw materials of Li-ion

In 2015, the media predicted heavy demand for graphite to satisfy the growth of Li-ion batteries used in electric vehicles. Speculation arose that graphite could be in short supply because a large EV battery requires about 25kg (55 lb) of graphite for the Li-ion anode. Although price and consumption has been lackluster, there are indications that the demand is tightening.

Producing anode-grade graphite with 99.99 percent purity is expensive and the process creates waste. The end-cost is not so much the material but the purification process. Recycling old Li-ion to retrieve graphite will not solve this because of the tedious purification process.

Carbon and graphite are related substances. Graphite is an allotrope of carbon, a structural modification that occurs by bonding the elements together in a different manner. Graphite is the most stable form of carbon. The diamond, a metastable allotrope of carbon known for its excellent physical qualities, is less stable than graphite; yet graphite is soft and malleable.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... 9_graphite.

The best source of graphite is Sri Lanka, off India.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on September 5th, 2017, 11:57 am 

Maybe I am just being manic today, but it seems to me this whole forum has suddenly gotten much more meaningful with you and Badger bringing up technology issues and here you mention a mineral, graphite, that might play an important role in developing technology, and Badger is wanting to know the economic repercussions of this developing technology. I am so excited I would go for a brisk walk if the air outsider were breathable.

Though I don't always feel any need to plug SPCF, I will note that this forum has been bringing up technology issues for over a decade now. Plenty of meaningful to be found back there, all along the way. Hope you get some breeze along the Willamette.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on September 5th, 2017, 3:27 pm 

Athena » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:43 am wrote:
Please explain "the distributed energy technologies are saving Texas from even more headache during the floods" I really want to know.

Hurricane Harvey Creates New Abnormal for the Electric Grid
August 29, 2017 By Elisa Wood
https://microgridknowledge.com/microgrids-and-hurricane-harvey/
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on September 5th, 2017, 4:19 pm 

Cool. I hadn't given it much thought, but a microgrid on NG can keep going, while backup diesel/gas would be hard to supply in Houston conditions.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on September 5th, 2017, 4:24 pm 

It has long been my belief that energy is one of the most important industries. Like if you want a solid career choice, that's one to do. Other than food and water, it's the first thing that needs to come online after a disaster. With better battery technology these micro and "distributed" grids are the path to the future. Having smaller distributed sources strengthens the grids and allows cleaner and more efficient sources to come online.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on September 8th, 2017, 12:42 am 

Here is just another thing on "distributed energy systems" that I stumbled on tonight.

Startup aims to help rural utilities move away from traditional technology
By Mary Shinn Herald staff writer
Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017 12:01 AM
https://durangoherald.com/articles/181564
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on September 21st, 2017, 7:26 pm 

Japanese cities move towards distributed energy systems to power-proof from natural disasters
http://www.climateactionprogramme.org/n ... proof-from
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Anything Science