Soft robotics

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

Soft robotics

Postby Maximum7 on October 21st, 2017, 4:03 pm 

Soft robotics is in its infancy but if we keep plugging away, what might scientists be able to do with soft robotics? What will the final end product?
Maximum7
Forum Neophyte

BioWizard liked this post

Re: Soft robotics

Postby BioWizard on November 25th, 2017, 3:19 pm 

Maximum7 » 21 Oct 2017 03:03 pm wrote:Soft robotics is in its infancy but if we keep plugging away, what might scientists be able to do with soft robotics? What will the final end product?

Since we ourselves are squishy creatures that can be damaged fairly easily, soft robotics is a necessary step in the evolution of robots that interact directly with humans. While ensuring proper operation at the programmatic and mechanical levels is critical, crashes will inevitably happen, during which time you want to make sure the blow of an unpredictable catastrophic failure is "softened" as much as possible.

Then there's of course the fact that nature has come up with some ingenious designs over 3+ billion years of experimentation, and it makes sense to absorb some of these into our otherwise fairly clunky designs.

I can't predict what the limit will be, but I definitely want little worm-like bots that navigate through the body to seek and destroy tumors, or deliver drugs locally, or writhe their way to an osteoarthritic joint and scavenge off damaged cartilage to stimulate regeneration and healing. I can go on!
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)
Maximum7 liked this post

Return to Anything Science