Electricity

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

Electricity

Postby StormTheEnemy on February 16th, 2018, 7:49 pm 

Could you pull electrons out of air or objects to make electricity?
StormTheEnemy
Forum Neophyte

Re: Electricity

Postby Asparagus on February 16th, 2018, 9:19 pm 

Yes. Lightning results from a static charge produced by friction. If you want dynamic voltage, you'll have to use some kind of generator.
Asparagus

Blog: View Blog (2)
StormTheEnemy liked this post

Postby Serpent on February 17th, 2018, 1:21 am 

Of course I can. Why do you think I need a pseudonym? If they found out, they'd turn me into a weapon.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby bangstrom on March 12th, 2018, 5:21 pm 

Serpent » February 17th, 2018, 12:21 am wrote:Of course I can. Why do you think I need a pseudonym? If they found out, they'd turn me into a weapon.

Your name is Nikola Tesla and you are on our list.
bangstrom

Postby Event Horizon on March 12th, 2018, 9:50 pm 

On a serious note, when you heat a wire coil until it is red-hot or hotter, it sheds electrons. These were used in old electric valves before transistors took over in the 1950's. However, the element and receptors are encased in a vacuum. This gave rise to electronic amplifiers and old CRT screens. It was also valuable to folks like Alan Turing in his bid to invent a computer, which he succeeded in doing to crack the Enigma Code and shorten the war.

Anecdote: I was walking down the road to the beach with my carbon fibre fishing rod. It was a bit stormy, and my fishing rod was picking up electricity somehow and transfering it to my hands. This was a bit uncomfortable to say the least. I didn't go fishing in the end. It was a peculiar experience. The energy must have been harvested from the air and transferred to me. I don't know if this is a common thing or not.
Event Horizon

Postby Watson on March 12th, 2018, 10:23 pm 

May not be related but I have a key fob that reacts to a pad on the door to unlock the door. Common i know, but how does it work?

??
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby zetreque on March 12th, 2018, 10:41 pm 

StormTheEnemy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 pm wrote:Could you pull electrons out of air or objects to make electricity?

Isn't it called bitcoin?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on March 12th, 2018, 10:46 pm 

Watson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm wrote:May not be related but I have a key fob that reacts to a pad on the door to unlock the door. Common i know, but how does it work?

??

I think that's a conversion between or caused by an electron changing orbit of an atom or electrons moving to give off an electromagnetic wave.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on March 12th, 2018, 11:54 pm 

Well there seems to be no power in the key fob, so an electromagnetic wave/field at the door pad some how interacts with the fob like some reflective interaction.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby zetreque on March 13th, 2018, 12:00 am 

Watson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm wrote:Well there seems to be no power in the key fob, so an electromagnetic wave/field at the door pad some how interacts with the fob like some reflective interaction.

Not even a small button cell battery? Maybe you are talking about RFID. I always assume the reader is powered and scans the vicinity for the EM signature.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Event Horizon on March 13th, 2018, 12:36 am 

Don't forget security tags used by shops. They have no power source either. This might suggest that when the metal strips are interrogated by using a magnetic field they cause a variation in the magnetic field that is able to trigger a response. Sometimes these strips have to be demagnetized at the till to prevent the alarms going off on leaving the shop. Could the fob work in the same way?
Event Horizon

Postby rossweinberg21 on May 14th, 2018, 3:35 am 

I think you should read this article:

http://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2016/03/17/does-a-source-of-electricity-ever-run-out-of-electrons/
rossweinberg21
Forum Neophyte

GregoryHill liked this post

Postby GregoryHill on May 28th, 2018, 5:04 am 

[quote=]I think you should read this article:

http://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2016/03/17/does-a-source-of-electricity-ever-run-out-of-electrons/[/quote]

I am a newbie in this forum, I thoroughly read this article, such a nice and informative piece of content you shared. Thanks for that.
GregoryHill
Forum Neophyte

Postby RjMaan on June 20th, 2018, 12:44 pm 

Well thunder storm and lightening is an example but one has to develop large amount of static current first for that.
RjMaan
Forum Neophyte

Return to Anything Science