Pedantry hour

Not quite philosophy discussions, debates, various thought experiments and other topics of interest.

Pedantry hour

Postby NoShips on April 12th, 2017, 7:05 pm 

If there's one thing I hate more than misuse of the word "literally" ("I was like literally drunk at the party last night, man"), it's misuse of the expression "pull oneself up by one's bootstraps", as if as an exhortation to levitational greatness. ("I really need to pull myself up by my bootstraps, man")

Since this is a science forum, please join me in an experiment, ladies and gentlemen:

First, grab your bootstraps, or shoelaces. Female participants grab your stilettos or something.

Next, pull upwards as hard as you can.

What happened?
NoShips

Re: A Simple Question: Should We Believe Scientists?

Postby Braininvat on April 12th, 2017, 8:25 pm 

Female participants grab your stilettos or something.

A feminist's head just exploded.

You know women also wear boots, right? And, if they are equestrian sorts of boots, they may have straps.

Another weird expression is "head over heels." Isn't your head normally positioned over and above the heels? If some amatory state has really thrown you out of the usual alignment, wouldn't "heels over head" express that better?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

NoShips liked this post

Postby Lomax on April 12th, 2017, 8:29 pm 

I always struggle with "taken out of context". All quotations are out of context, by their very essence. Anyway, "literally" literally means "to the letter" and has always been used for the purpose of emphasis.

Shall I split these posts off? I'm always up for Pedantry Hour.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

NoShips liked this post

Postby NoShips on April 12th, 2017, 8:42 pm 

Shall I split these posts off? I'm always up for Pedantry Hour.

Nah, I enjoy the atmosphere of Gemütlichkeit here.

Tee hee. Guess what word I learned this week.

Anyway, "literally" literally means "to the letter" and has always been used for the purpose of emphasis.

Hmm, I always took "literally" to be contrasted with "metaphorically".

P.S. What I do need is a place where I can play around with the quote function without messing up the forums. Gotta master this somehow. People might talk.
NoShips

Re: Pedantry hour

Postby Lomax on April 12th, 2017, 9:09 pm 

We gon' be Gemütlichkeit in Odds and Ends, or maybe the Lounge. Grab on to your Doc Martens. Feel free to play around with the formatting functions on this thread, and if it becomes too much of an eye sore I'll just trash the offending posts.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby NoShips on April 14th, 2017, 7:52 pm 

Lomax » April 13th, 2017, 10:09 am wrote:We gon' be Gemütlichkeit in Odds and Ends, or maybe the Lounge. Grab on to your Doc Martens.

Got ma Doc Martens on

Lomax » April 13th, 2017, 10:09 am wrote:Feel free to play around with the formatting functions on this thread, and if it becomes too much of an eye sore I'll just trash the offending posts.

Playing around now
NoShips

Postby NoShips on April 14th, 2017, 7:53 pm 

Hey, this isn't so hard after all :-)
NoShips

Lomax liked this post

Return to Odds & Ends