driverless cabs in sigapore

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

driverless cabs in sigapore

Postby Fuqin on September 23rd, 2016, 5:21 am 

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1100ZG
By Christophe Van Der Perre |SINGAPOREThe first driverless taxi began work on Thursday in a limited public trial on the streets of Singapore.    Developer nuTonomy invited a select group of people to download their app and ride for free in its "robo-taxi" in a western Singapore hi-tech business district, hoping to get feedback ahead of a planned full launch of the service in 2018."This is really a moment in history that's going to change how cities are built, how we really look at our surroundings," nuTonomy executive Doug Parker told Reuters.The trial rides took place in a Mitsubishi i-MiEv electric vehicle, with an engineer sitting behind the steering wheel to monitor the system and take control if necessary...

Im in Singapore ATM Im gona try to depending on cost have go at this apparently there is a safety driver but I still want to test run me in this scenario
Fuqin
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: driverless cabs in sigapore

Postby Eclogite on September 23rd, 2016, 6:22 am 

Sounds brilliant. Singapore remains one of the most, if not the most progressive cities in the world in terms of technology. Your post called to mind a less sophisticated time.

I lived in Singapore for most of the seventies. A regular problem in the evening, as a young male foreigner, when walking down Orchard Road was being accosted by taxi drivers who drove up along side and declared "You want young girl? See exhibition? Very nice."

I developed a successful counter tactic. The moment the cab pulled alongside and before the driver could speak, I would thrust my head into the cab and ask "You want young girl? Very good value? Special price for you?" Almost invariably they would look shocked for a moment, then grin and drive off laughing.

It won't be the same talking to an AI.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on September 23rd, 2016, 9:23 am 

Might be a little safer, though. Especially for the young girls.
If cheap autonomous taxis were readily available, you could ban private cars from the downtown core of cities. Get rid of the parking garages and congestion... and all the idiots trying to run lights and make right turns from from the left lane. Of course, you could have the same effect from good public transit, but there is always a "class" of people downtown who would rather die than be seen waiting at a bus stop - and yet are not embarrassed to stand, drenched, at curb semaphoring with both arms.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Fuqin on September 23rd, 2016, 10:01 am 

Yeah its an amazing place im actually looking for work here lots of civil work , im looking at landscapeing projects , just love this place so green , clean , modern, histoical & cultural all in one
Fuqin
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on September 23rd, 2016, 11:57 am 

Fuqin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:01 pm wrote:Yeah its an amazing place im actually looking for work here lots of civil work , im looking at landscapeing projects , just love this place so green , clean , modern, histoical & cultural all in one
And super organised. Some might say too organised. I have suggested that if you go and lie down on the grass in one of the parks, look on the underside of any blade of grass. It will have a serial number. Not true of course, but after a while you begin to think it might be.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby TheVat on September 23rd, 2016, 12:14 pm 

As long as you don't crash and end up in a "Singapore Sling."

Does this thread have congested sinuses?
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on September 23rd, 2016, 3:15 pm 

I'm wondering quite how this works. Singapore has four official languages; English, Malay, Mandarin Chinese and Tamil. Is this automaton capable of conversing in all of them or does it simply guess ?

This could get interesting as certain common phrases sound identical and even mean *almost* the same thing across different languages e.g 'kai Men' in Mandarin (開 門) and 'Come in' in English. Other faux amis are not quite so helpful !

I suspect it works simply from GPS plotted start and end points in a mapping app on your smart phone, though it's hard to be sure from that video clip.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Fuqin on September 26th, 2016, 9:25 am 

The destinations are pronounced the same in all 4 languages , when you get instructions from the trains like mind your step etc thay come out in all 4 my wife is malaysian / indian she speaks all 4
Fuqin
Resident Member

Return to Science News Discussion Forum