Shall we go to Mars?

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Shall we go to Mars?

Postby vivian maxine on October 11th, 2016, 6:48 am 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... ce+News%29

We aren't mice but....

Exposure to highly energetic charged particles resulted in brain damage, cognitive impairment and dementia in rodents. Will astronauts suffer the same damage? How much protection are the space ship and space suits?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Shall we go to Mars?

Postby TheVat on October 11th, 2016, 11:56 am 

As a sci-fi reader, and sometime space nut, I've heard a lot of cool ideas as to how to deal with ionizing radiation on long space voyages. The shell of a spaceship can't really provide enough shielding during a solar flare, without being too heavy to launch or propel to Mars. This has led to the idea of an onboard "storm shelter," to where crew can retreat during such events. One idea is to locate it someplace where stored material, like water tanks, already provides some shielding.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on October 11th, 2016, 12:09 pm 

So they have at least thought of and worked at the idea. Of course they wuuld have. That's their job So much out there in space to think about.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on October 11th, 2016, 12:26 pm 

No, and I'm not going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, either - not even the latest state-of-the-art most superbly designed barrel.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on October 11th, 2016, 2:30 pm 

The problem is essentially economic. A large enough vehicle, with simulated gravity via the centrifugal effect, would also provide as much shielding as required. However, the cost is so great (launch cost) that the problem transforms from economic to political. (I don't think Trump or Clinton have much interest in space.)
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on October 11th, 2016, 9:46 pm 

I think many more people will become much more excited about space travel, when we can actually develope a much faster and far more economical propulsion system for the spacecraft(Maybe doing something really unique with magnetism or the available force of gravity in the future?)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Scott Mayers on November 9th, 2016, 5:43 pm 

I like the idea of space travel. But I think we should focus our intellect to try to fix our planet first. Why attend to seeking space rather than find some means to reduce population, for instance. But I think the even better means to still 'travel' through space would be through advanced virtual reality technology.
Scott Mayers

Postby abbykoch on November 12th, 2016, 12:57 pm 

I am not sure, I feel we have to much fears of unknown..
abbykoch

Return to Science News Discussion Forum