Absences

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Absences

Postby weakmagneto on December 26th, 2015, 5:23 pm 

Hi Watson! The doc will be out next spring or summer. We are just in the editing process. Good to see that you are still online. :)
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Watson on December 26th, 2015, 5:27 pm 

Any hints about it?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby weakmagneto on December 26th, 2015, 5:32 pm 

Maybe later. :) Stay tuned...
weakmagneto

Postby Forest_Dump on December 26th, 2015, 6:03 pm 

Well I have been checking in regularly but unable to post because of a clunky old PC I have to deal with. Good enough for writing but a real pain for doing anything on-line. But then that seems to be good for productivity.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Watson on December 26th, 2015, 6:13 pm 

Good to see some of the absentees are accounted for. Athena should be checking in soon as well??
Watson
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on September 20th, 2016, 1:34 pm 

I was very recently accepted and am preparing to give a TEDx talk along with several other trips and projects going on right now that I need to focus on. Will be back in a few days... Unless of course I die from stage fright or something. :D
I know people will now ask what my topic is. For now I'll just say it's an attempt to bring about a healthier society.

Speaking of absences, watson seems to have gone absent?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Re: Break a Leg

Postby Faradave on September 20th, 2016, 2:36 pm 

I'm sure you'll do fine, as that's a subject you're passionate about. Nervousness will evaporate by the 3rd sentence, once you get rolling. Enjoy!
Faradave

Postby BadgerJelly on October 6th, 2016, 4:06 am 

Is forest dump coming back anyone?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on October 17th, 2016, 10:08 am 

zetreque » September 20th, 2016, 11:34 am wrote:Speaking of absences, watson seems to have gone absent?

Has anyone heard from Watson lately?
weakmagneto

Postby Braininvat on October 17th, 2016, 11:44 am 

I've wondered. His last post, and site visit, was on 8-8, on the earth's crust being like a skin. His profile has no email link, so I don't know how to contact him.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 17th, 2016, 12:04 pm 

BadgerJelly » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 am wrote:Is forest dump coming back anyone?
Yes. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 17th, 2016, 12:20 pm 

I really miss NaturalChemE's posts...and hope he comes back to us again. And I of course also really miss Lincoln's posts on a very regular basis.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 17th, 2016, 12:26 pm 

Braininvat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:44 am wrote:I've wondered. His last post, and site visit, was on 8-8, on the earth's crust being like a skin. His profile has no email link, so I don't know how to contact him.

Maybe I should also put my email link in my profile "in case anyone ever misses me"?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Re: The bots won't miss you!

Postby Faradave on October 17th, 2016, 1:02 pm 

ronjanec wrote:Maybe I should also put my email link in my profile

If you included an e-mail address in your profile's account settings, PM and Tag should already serve as a way of contacting you, without subjecting yourself to e-mail-harvesting spam bots. For example, ronjanec should result in such a notification in addition to the usual "New post in Absences since your last visit." notification.
Faradave

Re: The bots won't miss you!

Postby ronjanec on October 17th, 2016, 1:12 pm 

Faradave » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 am wrote:
ronjanec wrote:Maybe I should also put my email link in my profile

If you included an e-mail address in your profile's account settings, PM and Tag should already serve as a way of contacting you, without subjecting yourself to e-mail-harvesting spam bots. For example, ronjanec should result in such a notification in addition to the usual "New post in Absences since your last visit." notification.

Thanks Dave.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby doogles on October 19th, 2016, 3:03 am 

I personally miss Darby's contributions. I regarded all of his posts as intelligent and well-balanced. But I noticed that in one or two of his last posts he intimated that he had a chronic illness. Does anyone know why Darby, who commenced this thread, has not posted for some time?
doogles

Postby Braininvat on October 19th, 2016, 9:52 am 

I pm'd and tagged him, nearly a year ago, without result. Given a couple of his postings that briefly mentioned serious liver disease, his sudden absence did not suggest good news. I miss his wide-ranging and free-thinking posts.

In re what Farad said, it is advantageous to have an email link in your profile. If a family member is checking on your email, in situations of incapacity or death, they are more likely to respond to a direct email than a tag/pm notice. JMO
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby doogles on October 21st, 2016, 4:31 pm 

Thanks for that Braininvat.

It applaud your thoughtfulness in attempting a follow-up on Darby.

Apparently you and I have both drawn the same conclusion for his absence.
doogles

Postby toucana on September 3rd, 2017, 11:31 pm 

I'm on vacation in USA, attending a family wedding in California. It was 104F yesterday during the ceremony, and 106F today for the after-party brunch. I'm going to be spending Labour Day at a pleasure lake somewhere near Folsom tomorrow, then elsewhere in California for another ten days or so. - Back in UK 14th September.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Dave_Oblad on September 4th, 2017, 11:33 pm 

Hi Guys,

Well, I'm here in Arizona now.. Bye Bye SoCal...

I'm on my friends computer and had a issue logging in because.. couldn't remember my password to login here.

I'm still locked out at seeing my personal posts.. don't know why?

Back soon when I get settled in.

Best Wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby zetreque on September 4th, 2017, 11:36 pm 

Dave_Oblad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:33 pm wrote:Hi Guys,

Well, I'm here in Arizona now.. Bye Bye SoCal...

I'm on my friends computer and had a issue logging in because.. couldn't remember my password to login here.

I'm still locked out at seeing my personal posts.. don't know why?

Back soon when I get settled in.

Best Wishes,

Looks like you made it just in time before NK bombs LA.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave_Oblad on September 5th, 2017, 6:42 am 

Hi zetreque,

That was part of the idea.. Also avoiding the next big SoCal Earthquake entered into the picture..lol.

Best Wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Re: Howdy Pardner

Postby Faradave on September 5th, 2017, 9:39 pm 

Hi Dave_O,

You made it buddy! Glad to hear the transition is proceeding as planned.
I expect you'll look mighty fine in a Stetson.
Stetson.png
Faradave

Postby Watson on September 5th, 2017, 10:00 pm 

Glad to hear you are ok and all. If you don't get the flowers I may have sent, I may have sent them to your old address.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on September 6th, 2017, 8:52 am 

Flats (e.g. Phoenix) or mountains (e.g. Flagstaff)?
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on September 8th, 2017, 12:20 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Biv: Mostly flat desert with a ring of surrounding mountains in the distance. Right now I'm staying with friends that have a very spacious home on the edge of the desert. Huge variety of flora and fauna. Much Greener than I expected too.

My new home is all ready for me to move into.. as soon as Escrow closes on my old house and the sale money is transferred to my new home. This should have happened nearly 2 weeks ago.. but found 4 liens against the title of my previous home. One was expected from my current mortgage holder.. the other 3 are from previous loans for medical bills and funeral costs of my late wife. Long paid off loans but the banks never removed their liens. Stupid idiots.

I thought it was automatic lien removal when loans are paid off.. apparently not the case. I think the reason is that if I should die and not leave a will.. then the lien holders get first grabs at my property. Like vultures I tell you.

Anyway, it's turning out to be harder to get them to release their liens than it was to get the original loans. In one case the bank can't even find the original loan records from 14 years ago and are giving me fits about releasing their lien on a loan they don't even have a record of making. I had to take out a bond against that loan to satisfy escrow so I can close the sale of my previous home.

Honestly, those people are dumber than slugs.. and that comparison may be an insult to the fauna of slugs.

I had to put down a few grand as earnest money to lock in the sale of the new house for me. If I don't close escrow in about 3 more days on the new house.. they can keep that money and put my new house back on the market. It took my friends here about 6 weeks to find me such an ideal house.

Stupid Banks...

Let that serve as as a warning to you folks in the USA that own homes and have borrowed money.. Check your Title for persistent liens existing long after such loans are paid off. Banks have nothing to gain by stepping up and being honest.

Ok, back to signing still more documents.. later my friends.. and thanks for stopping by here.

Best wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Re: Keep the faith, not the deposit

Postby Faradave on September 8th, 2017, 12:51 pm 

Most realtors will strongly discourage sellers from keeping good-faith deposits, so long as a reasonable effort was made by the buyer to obtain financing. Keeping the deposit is appropriate when the buyer, in bad faith, keeps looking at other houses and decides to buy a different one. They just wasted the seller's time. Time is money.

You're clearly not in that category. The seller/realtor can tell your making progress. Snafus happen all the time and it's quite understandable. The seller is usually much more concerned that, if you have a professional inspection of the home being bought, that you'll come up with a list of repairs (or leans against that property) that must be addressed. In good-faith situations, you're all actually working toward the same goal.

Good luck!
Faradave

Postby toucana on September 14th, 2017, 5:32 pm 

Motiograph1913 copy.jpg

So when we reached the wedding venue which was a scenic vineyard outside of Folsom California, they told me “There is an old film projector in the club room over in the the barn”. And so there was ! It’s a 1913 model Motiograph manufactured in Chicago. As you can see it has no motor, just a hand-crank to run film through the mechanism which still turns over quite freely. The flicker shutter is missing unfortunately (a disk bladed 'flipper’ style front-shutter), but the rest of it is still there, including the carbon clamps and feeds in the lamphouse. It was a balmy 104F incidentally.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Keep the faith, not the deposit

Postby Watson on September 14th, 2017, 6:32 pm 

Faradave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am wrote:Most realtors will strongly discourage sellers from keeping good-faith deposits, so long as a reasonable effort was made by the buyer to obtain financing. Keeping the deposit is appropriate when the buyer, in bad faith, keeps looking at other houses and decides to buy a different one. They just wasted the seller's time. Time is money.

You're clearly not in that category. The seller/realtor can tell your making progress. Snafus happen all the time and it's quite understandable. The seller is usually much more concerned that, if you have a professional inspection of the home being bought, that you'll come up with a list of repairs (or leans against that property) that must be addressed. In good-faith situations, you're all actually working toward the same goal.

Good luck!

Well the contract likely gives the buyer the time to get financing, but what they do with that time is strictly speaking, up to them. Depending on the wording of the offer, the deposit goes back to the potential buyer if they request it. If they don't submit a deposit release, for some reason the deposit stays with the broker. Unless the offer specifies the vendor keeps the deposit, failing the some undertaking by the buyer by a certain time/date, then the deposit is returned.
But that is Canada. I can't think things are that much different in real estate law down your way? Can they be??
Watson
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on September 21st, 2017, 12:25 am 

Dave_Oblad » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:42 am wrote:Hi zetreque,

That was part of the idea.. Also avoiding the next big SoCal Earthquake entered into the picture..lol.

Best Wishes,

Is LA next?

zetreque
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area