Knocking on Heaven's Door

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

Knocking on Heaven's Door

Postby vivian maxine on December 2nd, 2016, 3:42 pm 

Who has read Lisa Randall's "Knocking on Heaven's Door" - her description of the Large Hadron Collider? I read the review this morning. It sounds like her usual good writing. But, question: What is it they are encasing in tons of concrete? Energy, I know, but "energy" is an abstract term. It has a source. What is it they are using that necessitates this burying?

Thanks. I may have to buy the book but the books are piling up on me here.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Knocking on Heaven's Door

Postby Lincoln on March 7th, 2017, 2:48 pm 

Anything Lisa writes is pretty good, although her "Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs" is scientifically kind of iffy.

If you want to read books about the LHC, my (admittedly biased) opinion is "The Large Hadron Collider" by Don Lincoln is the best.

And the concrete is just to make sure things are stable. The accelerator doesn't work well if the pieces move around.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on March 7th, 2017, 3:56 pm 

Lincoln wrote:If you want to read books about the LHC, my (admittedly biased) opinion is "The Large Hadron Collider" by Don Lincoln is the best.

In case you didn't know, he is biased because he wrote it. However, I bought it in "Chapters", Canada's biggest book chain, and endorse it as worth the buy (in case you want a less biased endorsement).
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Lincoln on March 7th, 2017, 4:01 pm 

But you once told me that everyone is biased, just in different ways.

Hah. Check and mate.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on March 7th, 2017, 4:07 pm 

Lincoln wrote:But you once told me that everyone is biased, just in different ways.

Hah. Check and mate.

Fair and true. And in the interests of full disclosure, Lincoln did once help me with some physics homework so maybe I owed him one.

But truth be told, Lincoln knows so much about the LHC that he could write a book so to speak. Wait, um, damn, covered that. Never mind.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Lincoln liked this post

Postby Lincoln on March 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm 

Some day I really do need to learn who the face behind the skulls is.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on March 7th, 2017, 4:32 pm 

Lincoln wrote:Some day I really do need to learn who the face behind the skulls is.

Nobody that interesting I assure you. Today that face is mostly sadly looking out at a howling blizzard and watching the birds squabble around the feeders. But I am also literally just putting the finishing touches on a paper so some happy in that face.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Lincoln on March 7th, 2017, 4:37 pm 

It's the mystery. You could even be Elvis. Inquiring minds want to know.

You should move south to avoid all that white crap. Or I guess you could just wait until global warming gets to your latitude.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on March 7th, 2017, 5:05 pm 

Actually I love it up here. Don't mind the cold. Get to see the northern lights all the time. I see wolves, lynx, otters and moose regularly persistent rumours of eastern cougars around, (not counting the kind that drinks vodka coolers and smokes menthol cigarettes around the high school). If I want to fish I can stop off at a number of places on the way home from work and catch a 3 foot+ northern poke or musky (or walleye or trout, etc.). I do make the 4 hour drive to a city often enough and can then browse the university libraries. As to the global warming, it is very noticeable. The blizzard today came on top of actual rain yesterday so the snow was dumped on top of glare ice after the temp dropped to about -10 C. "We" are used to solid -30 with some -40 or even colder during the Feb freeze but this year we actually had a mid Feb melt and that followed a melt back in Jan. Unbelievable. But that might mean more digging time this summer although more bugs too.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Lincoln on March 7th, 2017, 5:11 pm 

Live in the world of the White Walkers if you must. I'll live on the civilized side of the wall.

I didn't actually mean that literally, but given the recent political dustup down here, maybe.

Enjoy your bugs.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on March 7th, 2017, 5:39 pm 

Lincoln wrote:I didn't actually mean that literally, but given the recent political dustup down here, maybe.

Yeah there is truth in that. We made a similar mistake in Canada with the election of Rob Ford but that was only a mayor in one city half way between me and Florida (literally Toronto is closer to Florida than it is to here). You have the same kind of show in your President. I'm staying put.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Lincoln on March 7th, 2017, 11:33 pm 

I just hope he doesn't get us into a war or dismantle too much of the environmental, educational and safety regulatory infrastructure we need.

Sigh.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts