Trans fats almost gone

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

Trans fats almost gone

Postby zetreque on April 13th, 2018, 1:21 am 

http://www.foodingredientsfirst.com/news/removing-trans-fats-part-1-june-2018-date-looms-is-the-industry-leveling-up.html

June 2018 is the deadline for the food industry to finally remove trans fats from all foods in the US.
It dawned on me tonight that this is why I am seeing more "Fully hydrogenated" oils on ingredients lists!!!!

Obviously hydrogenated aka saturated fats probably have a longer shelf life than other kinds of fats so that's why the food industry manufactures hydrogenated oils for food products to replace tran-fats.

One might assume and throw hydrogenated oils into the trans fat category like I did but apparently they are not. The key word is "fully" I assume that makes them not trans fats or partially hydrogenated fats.

The other reason hydrogenated oils are assumed bad is because of the flawed science linking saturated fat to heart disease. Obviously too much of it is bad but it's not as bad as it was ingrained in dietary thinking the past couple decades.

I'm curious now how much hydrogenated fats which are man made are different than natural saturated fats. It might be that man made hydrogenated fats are packaged into foods in much higher concentrations than a natural food you would find in the wild or even farmed. So I am wondering how much "hydrogenated" fats are different compared to butter, ghee, or fatty meat when it comes to health. Like I said, probably due to the fact that fatty meats contain more types of fats than saturated and with a man made food product you are getting only saturated (hydrogenated) fats. As I write this it also dawns on me the obvious answer to my question which is that hydrogenated oils are going to be in food products WITH sugar.

We have come a long way since the Oreo Cookie lawsuit to ban trans fats in San Fransisco California in 2003. Everyone mocked it back then but now it's a reality.
https://www.sfgate.com/health/article/L ... 617337.php
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Trans fats almost gone

Postby zetreque on April 13th, 2018, 2:00 am 

What I'm not sure of yet is if the rule where you can label something trans fat free as long as it has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving changes after June 2018. In theory you could meet less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving and still have a food loaded with trans fats depending on how you implement your serving size for a product.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on April 13th, 2018, 9:57 am 

Yes, I've noticed the legal dodge of putting absurdly small serving sizes on some foods, so that their sugar and fat content looks lower.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby KyCoo on April 17th, 2018, 5:57 am 

That should reduce the risk of heart attacks by great extents.
KyCoo
Forum Neophyte

Return to Health and Nutrition