A most peculiar Creature

Interdisciplinary science discussions. Also, if you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here.

A most peculiar Creature

Postby Event Horizon on May 15th, 2018, 5:25 pm 

Sometime weird things wash up on beaches, or dragged up in a trawl net. But you won't have seen one of these before, as far as I know nobody has. It seems to be new to science and I'd just love to get some of its DNA for testing. I can't really describe it, but liveScience.com have an article and pictures. I will leave you to ponder as to what it might be, I don't think anyone knows that for sure yet, but postulating could be fun.

https://www.livescience.com/62575-myste ... pines.html
Event Horizon

Re: A most peculiar Creature

Postby Braininvat on May 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm 

It looks to be a heavily decomposed whale carcass. This has been seen before many times.

My other guess: what's left of the Republican Party in the USA.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: A most peculiar Creature

Postby Event Horizon on May 16th, 2018, 11:28 am 

Haaha! Yeah. Clinton. But they describe it as "hairy" and I don't know of any hairy whales. Or Orca...But you gave me an idea actually. Maybe these things had hair when land animals, it could be a very lucky find of a throwback I suppose. After the Boxing Day Tsunami dozens of creatures fetched up that were unknown to science.
We've explored between 1 and 3% of the oceans. It would be foolish to think we know everything down there, so I'm just gonna keep an open mind until it is DNA tested or the Japs eat it, whichever comes first!
Event Horizon

Return to Anything Science