Higgs field/ Boson interaction

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Bosons observed interacting with Top Quarks.

Postby Event Horizon on June 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm 

A very interesting article on the interactions that confer mass. I reckon Linc would be all over this. Mass is something I've pondered for ages, and this explains some interactions I has no knowledge of. Cutting edge stuff.

Could something interact to create anti-mass I wonder, such a thing would be revolutionary.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... e-of-mass/
Event Horizon

Re: Bosons observed interacting with Top Quarks.

Postby Watson on June 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm 

Did you notice the author?
Last edited by Watson on June 12th, 2018, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.
Lincoln liked this post

Postby Event Horizon on June 12th, 2018, 4:21 pm 

OMG! That's AMAZING! I'm so proud of him.
Event Horizon

Postby Braininvat on June 12th, 2018, 8:17 pm 

LoL. It's always good to hear from Lincoln. Even if he's not posting here. Heh.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Watson liked this post

Postby Event Horizon on June 12th, 2018, 11:09 pm 

Yes, he's a fantastic communicator of things and has a lovely temperament. Was generous with his time, and patient. Not common traits in a genius. It would be lovely if he would pop back here once the collider is shut for 2 years of upgrades and repairs.
Event Horizon

Re: Curing Higg-ups?

Postby Faradave on June 13th, 2018, 11:15 am 

I'm a big fan of Lincoln's Fermilab video series, but I haven't found personal interaction very productive. I'm sure it was different before he got famous (& busy).

mg=mi

It's important to keep this foundational postulate of General Relativity in mind anytime an explanation of mass is attempted. While the Higgs field provides a (fairly contrived) model for inertial mass (resistance to change in motion), as far as I can tell, it does nothing to explain gravitational mass (the occurrence of a an acceleration field, suggested as the "warping" of spacetime).

Both masses are identical, so an explanation of one without the other is remarkably incomplete (i.e. probably wrong). This is not to mention energy equivalence and attendant relativistic changes.

None of this takes away from Lincoln's lucid, accessible and entertaining explanations of current theory. His videos in part motivated my own (somewhat irreverent) Phyxed videos, which will offer a complete model of mass. They however, more closely mimic Henry Reich's very popular, animated minutephysics.
Faradave

Watson liked this post

Postby Event Horizon on June 20th, 2018, 12:35 pm 

I have a gut feeling that if Gravitons exist, and if Linc and his colleagues at CERN manage to capture one long enough to record, we should (eventually) have enough answers then to flesh out the GUT.

Linc, if you find it, Pls come back and tell us how you found it, and what it means.

Im hurriedly trying to understand Higgs fields, and why interactions with it confers mass to Bosons. Needless to say, I've not gotten very far yet..

The LHC is due to shut for repairs and renovations soon for about 2 years. It seems strange we use the largest scientific installation to interrogate the tiniest particles. I suspect the 2 years will not be idle ones for CERN, I imagine they have reams of data yet to be crunched. We also have fast atto-second clocks that CERN might be incorporating if not already done. These work at a billionth of a billionth of a second and should make it easier to forensically examine particle debris from HE collisions.
Event Horizon

Re: Higgs Linc Link

Postby Faradave on June 20th, 2018, 1:21 pm 

The best bet of getting Lincoln's notice is to go to full edit mode and put "Tag" tabs around his member name, like I just did.

Here's Don on Quantum Gravity

and on the Higgs boson x2

Faradave

Event Horizon liked this post

Postby Event Horizon on June 20th, 2018, 4:05 pm 

Linc and his team are gonna be down there looking for gravitons. It's gonna take a ton of RDX to dislodge them for a while. He needs a better director and costumer too!
And thanks for the links. many people here will remember Linc fondly. We'd be beyond lucky to get him back sometime I think. You just never can tell.
Event Horizon

Postby Lincoln on June 30th, 2018, 3:40 pm 

Unlikely. That Lincoln guy is such a prima donna. He won't even talk to you unless you have a bowl containing only green M&Ms and have bottles of Chilean glacial water chilled to precisely 38 degrees. (None of that Argentinian swill.)

Seriously, there just isn't the time. I hung out here for years and enjoyed it. But the eyeball count here is depressingly low. So I moved to more visible venues.

There's only so much time in a day. And lately I get a dozen or so emails a day. That's enough to be onerous, but not enough to buy a staff. So I pick and choose and work on upcoming articles.

Faradave...I dunno why inertial and gravitational mass are the same. But, since they are, it means space can morph and bend. So that's kind of your answer. Space can morph and bend. And that forces the equivalence.

Actually, at a deeper level, thinking of mass like you are thinking of it isn't all that productive. After all, mass is not "stuff" in the way you probably think of it. Mass is simply stationary energy. (Well, net stationary. Rotation, vibration and other motion with zero net linear momentum all count.) I expect it boils down to mass bends space and a moving mass bends moving space, so the connection is the resistivity of space to motion.

In any event, just taking a stroll down memory lane here.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Lincoln on June 30th, 2018, 3:42 pm 

Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Event Horizon on July 1st, 2018, 6:02 pm 

Thanks for the posts. I guessed you might be a tad busy. I'm trying to figure what sort of field a Higgs field might be. Gravity/mass transference and suchlike. BTW Linc the videos are helpful and it looks like I'm gonna have to watch some more. It's kinda like waiting for a new episode of some geeky show!
Event Horizon

Higgs field/ Boson interaction

Postby Event Horizon on July 11th, 2018, 8:34 pm 

I was wondering if we know how the Higgs field transfers mass/gravity to bosons. Do we know the mechanism?
Also, if a boson is destroyed, does the energy released go back into the Higgs field, or is it lost?
Do we know stuff like this yet?
Event Horizon

Re: Higgs field/ Boson interaction

Postby Braininvat on July 12th, 2018, 9:08 am 

[2 recent Higgs threads merged here]
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Event Horizon on July 13th, 2018, 9:45 pm 

Yeah thanks Brainy. I forgot I was already exploring this. Exploring this mechanism would tie up a few ends and advance our understanding I think.
Event Horizon

Postby Event Horizon on July 14th, 2018, 7:13 pm 

Ok. Thanks to Linc and his links and much pondering I think I've got it. But there are still questions as always. Scientific frontiers are endlessly fascinating to me, and I'm very curious about this field. Is it a web or a sea? What manner of energy is it? How did it come into being? Can we detect it directly? Does it have a duality perhaps? The kind of stuff that pads out our knowledge hopefully.
Also pls forgive any naivity on my part, I was a biologist so this stuff is beyond my education but I think I'm getting there.
Event Horizon

Postby Event Horizon on August 26th, 2018, 8:30 pm 

Thinking out loud. Pls remember I have no formal training in this stuff.

A weakly interacting particle might be akin to a photon travelling through water in regard to the Higgs field.
When a strongly interacting particle interacts with the Higgs field causing clumping, I have an image in my mind of what I can only really describe as a bow-wave being created. Typically bow-waves travel in advance of the body of the vessel, and I was thinking that this could explain how gravity waves we detected appearing to arrive momentarily before the expected photons from a cosmic event. Also the bigger the bow-wave, the more energy will be lost trying to push its way through the Higgs field. Bosons come to mind.
Sorry about the metaphors etc. I don't have the training to express this properly. I don't see anything that impedes this theory, but I am sure something will!
Event Horizon

Return to Physics