Bob Doyle. The Information Philosopher.

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Bob Doyle. The Information Philosopher.

Postby hyksos on September 14th, 2018, 1:47 am 

Bob Doyle is the Information Philosopher. He has likely read more works of philosophers and scientists than any other modern thinker, and has critically analyzed and written about the ideas of hundreds of them on these I-Phi web pages, as seen in the left navigation.

Bob earned a Ph.D in Astrophysics from Harvard in 1968 and is now an Associate in the Harvard Astronomy Department.

Doyle has written larger-than-book-length expository on his own website. The website is so large, it is nearly like a mini-wikipedia. Topical concentrations fall heavily on interpretations of quantum mechanics, and how those relate to Free Will. But topics are all over the map.

http://www.informationphilosopher.com/about/
hyksos

DragonFly liked this post

Re: Bob Doyle. The Information Philosopher.

Postby hyksos on September 14th, 2018, 1:52 am 

Below is a quote from a recent post Doyle made on his blog. A blog that is still actively maintained.
I quote Doyle, not because I agree with his stances, but because he is a good writer.

Most of the world’s religions have some concept of gods or a God, with some notable exceptions such as Buddhism.

Theologians claim to have discerned the essential attributes of a monotheistic God, such as omniscience (perfect foreknowledge), omnipotence (unlimited power), omnipresence (present everywhere), omnibenevolence (perfect goodness), and a necessary and eternal existence.

Information philosophy offers a simple test of the “revealed truth” of these attributes, specifically the visions by inspired thinkers that have no empirical evidence. Although these visions are in the realm of “pure ideas,” we can say that if every world religion agreed completely on the attributes of God, it would increase their believability. As it is, the comparative study of religions with the incredible diversity of their claims, renders the idea of God as implausible as Santa Claus.

At the present time, arguments like these will carry little weight with the believers in a religion, most of whom have little exchange of knowledge with those of other faiths. This can be expected to change with the reach of the Internet via smartphones to most of the world’s population by 2020.

In theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe. In deism, God is the creator, but not the sustainer of the universe, which is now assumed to be running itself following deterministic laws of motion. Open theism den
hyksos

DragonFly liked this post

Postby wolfhnd on September 14th, 2018, 1:47 pm 

After a short visit to the link I have the same comment I always have. Error is probably a prerequisite for existence.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby dandelion on September 18th, 2018, 4:33 pm 

Thanks, a great resource on fascinating topics I like, even if the core notions are not be ones I like so much.
dandelion

Postby BadgerJelly on September 19th, 2018, 12:15 am 

And not a single mention of Husserl? Strange.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby dandelion on September 19th, 2018, 11:39 am 

To my view there are some obvious absences but didn't think of Husserl as one or being that involved with information theory?
dandelion

Postby BadgerJelly on September 19th, 2018, 12:20 pm 

dandelion » September 19th, 2018, 11:39 pm wrote:To my view there are some obvious absences but didn't think of Husserl as one or being that involved with information theory?

He starts off with:

Information Philosophy (I-Phi) is a new philosophical method grounded in science, especially modern physics, biology, psychology, neuroscience, and the science of information.

I misread this a little :/
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Anything Philosophy