Improving my life.

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Improving my life.

Postby hyksos on January 8th, 2019, 7:27 pm 

I have a New Years resolution this year (2019) that is more concrete than any time in my life.

I have made a rule that I will live by, with the hopes that it will improve my quality of life. It should help maintain my sanity, and likely maintain the sanity of some others too.

I will no longer discuss modern physics with any adult ever again. There is no person that gets an exception to this rule -- not even my own mother.

However --

There is an exception to this rule. You can earn a deed to talk to me about modern physics (relativity, quantum mechanics, quantum field theory). A deed for discussion will be awarded by earning it in the following way :

You must describe, in your own words, an experimental context in which the theory was wildly successful. Your description must be engaging, and it should be spiced up with historical anecdote. I expect some amount of emotional involvement, and not merely sounding like you are reading an ingredients label from the back of a box. (reading a wikipedia article out loud, and blustering through words you don't know does not constitute a "description" ) Whether your description of the theory and its predicted phenomenon is sufficient to warrant a Deed of Discussion, will depend solely on my own discretion.

So there it is. I will no longer discuss modern physics with anyone on the internet nor off. I will discuss modern physics with you, but only at which time you describe to me a context where the theory was wildly successful.
hyksos

Re: Improving my life.

Postby TheVat on January 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm 

Does this help the website?

I mean, kudos on self-improvement, but what are you promoting with that OP besides yourself?
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby hyksos on January 8th, 2019, 9:57 pm 

Sorry. You can move this to the Lounge Area if you want.
hyksos

Postby Serpent on January 8th, 2019, 10:50 pm 

The idea may have merit, though the form is a bit off-putting.
No, actually, a lot off-putting.
Why not just invite forum members to

... describe, in your own words, an experimental context in which [a] theory was ... successful. Your description [should] be engaging and .... spiced with historical anecdote. I expect some emotional involvement; not as if you were reading ...a wikipedia article.
[Your peers will be asked to comment on/ critique] your description of the theory and its predicted phenomenon...

?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on January 9th, 2019, 1:20 am 

Very strange. Why?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area