Digitally Enhanced Totalitarianism?

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Digitally Enhanced Totalitarianism?

Postby PaulN on May 21st, 2019, 4:49 pm 

https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/chinas-ne ... o-reality/

Does controlling people this way, through fear, work in the long run? And are the Chinese authorities correct in saying that the West simply doesn't grasp this kind of system?
PaulN

Re: Digitally Enhanced Totalitarianism?

Postby Serpent on May 21st, 2019, 6:15 pm 

PaulN » May 21st, 2019, 3:49 pm wrote:https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/chinas-new-social-credit-system-turns-orwells-1984-into-reality/

Does controlling people this way, through fear, work in the long run?

How long? You can keep it going for a while. Years, maybe even a couple of decades before the system of that size shows serious cracks. It will, if it hasn't already, discourage people from using the internet for their personal connections - which also means that the insurrection, when it comes, will be under Big Brother's radar. Meanwhile, people will gradually stop commenting about one another publicly, or conducting their personal business over the net - which might not be a bad thing.

And are the Chinese authorities correct in saying that the West simply doesn't grasp this kind of system?

Hah! Of course they grasp it; I'm sure every secret service agency in the world is salivating over it. There are just two obstacles: national constitutions and inadequate technical savvy.
Serpent
Resident Member

Re: Digitally Enhanced Totalitarianism?

Postby someguy1 on May 21st, 2019, 10:56 pm 

I am of the opinion that China's social credit system is coming soon to a bankrupt empire near you. It's one of the things that makes me glad I'm old. I do not want to see what's going to happen.

Of course it will have a western flavor. Like Twitter and Facebooks throwing you out of the town square if you express and opinion they don't like. What could possibly go wrong?

We already have credit scores. I worked on a credit scoring application at a bank in the 1980's. The technology's been around that long. Now you need to show your score to rent an apartment or get a job. Fast forward all this a few years. It can only get worse. And China is showing the way. Sure it seems like a dystopian nightmare. But a lot of Chinese like it. Just like plenty of Americans say that if you aren't doing anything wrong you needn't fear government surveillance. A world of sheep being led to a cybertotalitarian slaughter.

Serpent » May 21st, 2019, 4:15 pm wrote:Hah! Of course they grasp it; I'm sure every secret service agency in the world is salivating over it. There are just two obstacles: national constitutions and inadequate technical savvy.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees this. Of course it will happen here. It's already happening here. The Constitution? The kids don't believe in that either.
someguy1

TheVatSciameriKen liked this post

Return to Political Theory