Ocean Waves and Politics

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Ocean Waves and Politics

Postby JohnD on June 1st, 2019, 2:09 am 

Have you ever noticed the waves rolling in upon a beach? Why not join me as I stand on the 90 mile beach at Gippsland Victoria Australia. It's a windy day and the waves are pounding the beach. Not unusual at this time of year.
I must admit to thinking too much about politics these days. Not about who to vote for, rather about history. It doesn't matter which faction you belong to, right or left, though there isn't much difference to speak of these days. I can't help drawing similarities between the waves rolling in and the different factions getting into power.
They come in on a tide and pound the beach with so much noise and ferver then after a while roll out again like timid mice.
Look at the rise of the right last century, their spectacular roar in the 20's and 30's only to go timidly away in the 40's. In the 50's the left were starting to make themselves heard and very much took over the world by the turn of the century. Now the right has risen again and the wonder is how long they will be a force before again they roll timidly away. Will it take another war to silence them and what will that war look like?
It's interesting to note that people don't change unless they feel a drastic need for it. Either way you look. At present we have scientists telling us that the world needs to change in order to survive but as yet most of the world's population don't see it that way. They've enjoyed good times with lots of reward (much the same as they did in the twenties and thirties of last century) and they don't see any reason for change.
JohnD

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Ocean Waves and Politics

Postby Serpent on June 1st, 2019, 10:28 am 

Eloquent reverie.
You just left out the bit where, every time the dark* waves roll in, they wash away bigger sandcastles and it takes the light waves longer to rebuild. They build them better every time, as well, and maybe that's why the subsequent dark wave is so much bigger and angrier : it has more to demolish. Still, you see the problem with increment: it has a definite, if as yet unknown, culmination.

*I'm going with dark and light, rather than right and left, because the right-left designation is not descriptive of the kind of politics involved. It's always about dictatorship, repression, the many serving the whim of a few under duress - and the methods are similarly one of three: stolen election, civil war or conquest - but the labels vary, and that can cause confusion.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby JohnD on June 1st, 2019, 2:43 pm 

Hi Serpent, I see your point and of course there is a price to pay and people inevitably suffer as a consequence. However, it is more about the repetitious pattern that has been unveiled in my thoughts. It is almost predictable. My reasons for using left and right apart from not wanting to appear dramatic is that these are the terms used by the factions.
Of course, there are degrees on both sides of the equation so it isn't purely about dictatorships, etc., but mainstream politics where most of us live. Where we are told we need to be the captains of industry or the Joan's of Arc to the world.
In the past century, the left has moved ever closer to the right. Whether this is because there was a need for them to be more centrist or they were invaded by the right is hard to say. However, the right took advantage and stole the show.
Now we wait with bated breath for the next onslaught on the beach. At present it seems the left have receded almost completely. You can almost feel them starting to wind up though, amassing more energy in their fold.
JohnD

Postby Serpent on June 1st, 2019, 4:44 pm 

Ah, so you have a particular sub-classification of "us" when you say most of us. That's fair, though it wasn't evident in the OP; I was thinking of civilization overall.

It's predictable, but it's not cyclical; not like the tides...
... which, come to think of it, may be losing their predictability as well.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby doogles on June 1st, 2019, 6:50 pm 

I liked JohnD's OP.

I'm a daydreamer, but I have my feet on the ground when it comes to politics. I was born in the 30's during the Great Depression and saw how people had to live in those days. The people I grew up with had little in the way of income and possessions right through the 40s and 50s.

At election times, my consolation self-talk goes along the lines of "No matter who wins the election, or what party has been in power over the past 80 years, everybody I've known since childhood has become better off and better off decade by decade."

Owning your own house, having a car and travelling overseas were unthought-of in the 30s. Now, virtually anyone who can manage their affairs can get almost anything they want (not necessarily "need"). We live in wonderful times in Australia at least.
doogles

Postby JohnD on June 3rd, 2019, 7:07 am 

+
Serpent » 02 Jun 2019, 06:44 wrote:Ah, so you have a particular sub-classification of "us" when you say most of us. That's fair, though it wasn't evident in the OP; I was thinking of civilization overall.

So was I. The example is the most evident of recent history that can be compared to a well documented series of events. My use of "us" is rhetorical I try not to use absolute terms.
In so far as dictatorships, we would need to define whether they are declared or not declared. Most elections are undeclared dictatorships with politicians claiming a mandate for their policies. Plus, when the media is crowded with a litany of political lies to confuse public thought then the election can rightly be called rigged. And this happens often, especially these days.
Serpent » 02 Jun 2019, 06:44 wrote:It's predictable, but it's not cyclical; not like the tides...
... which, come to think of it, may be losing their predictability as well.

Tides are predictable however, you can't look at just one beach rather consider the whole cycle of water and weather movements in the area. Climate change might make a 2ft tide a 10ft tide but it happens within the same cycle. It might shorten the distance between storms but again they happen within the same cycles.
It's the same with politics, the timing might change some with the advent of technology and greater populations but the cycle remains the same.
JohnD

Postby JohnD on June 5th, 2019, 4:41 am 

In my mind I'm back at the beach, it's a big beach so there's plenty of room for thought. On the front beach you can feel the gust of wind, the spray is like rain and the crash of the waves is like a continuous roar of thunder. It's all out war on the beach. Surf fishermen set their rods then move right back and find some shelter.
It's humanity, it's politics and it's the way people think. The greedy, the rich and those individuals who just want to live life as a normal human being. All swept into the same swell trying to survive the coming onslaught on the beach.
There's nothing beautiful when you look closely, it's all a mess but step back and suddenly there's some sense and beauty especially when that wave finally smashes on the beach.
JohnD

Postby JohnD on July 13th, 2019, 6:07 pm 

Happy Bastille day, if only the storming of a prison should be celebrated. Of course it led to the downfall of the french asistocracy however in the long term we may all wonder what has been achieved. The reasoning was democracy, giving people the right to chose their destiny rather than an elite having such powers. So, what's different today.
This is the kind of reflection that has occupied my mind and made me realise that when viewed over the longer term there is a cycle that persists.
JohnD

Return to Anything Philosophy