US government suppresses nutrition information on school lun

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

US government suppresses nutrition information on school lun

Postby TheVat on August 31st, 2019, 4:26 pm 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... uidelines/

Government not for our nation's children, but government for, by, and of the large agribusiness and food corporations.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Re: US government suppresses nutrition information on school

Postby Serpent on August 31st, 2019, 10:41 pm 

This whistle has been blown in ours quite a few times. Wasn't it under Reagan that ketchup was declared a vegetable? Whatever the nutritionists point out as bad, some megabusiness that makes out like bandits has declared OK; whatever nutritionists ask to be included, some economic advisor declares unaffordable. Should both of those objections be overcome, the children are encouraged to throw their lunch in the garbage:
See, what good is good food if the kids won't eat it? They only like bad food.

Seems like school lunch programs are always the #1 victim of federal food guidelines. I guess because schools and hospitals have government-funded captive food service: everybody else gets to decide what they want to eat. But it sure would help if parents were better informed, so that they could teach children healthy eating habits before they go to school.

We finally watched (I know, I've been living under a rock) Michael Moore's film Where to Invade Next?
There's a segment in there about school lunches in France.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on August 31st, 2019, 11:08 pm 

That segment blew my mind. The school cafeteria was like a five star restaurant. I lived in France the summer of 1972, never had a bad meal. And nobody in that little provincial town seemed to know what junk food was - snacking between meals was considered deeply offensive. It was two months before I managed to find a supermarket that had something resembling chips.

Don't miss the aurorae tonight, if you can get away from city light pollution.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on September 1st, 2019, 12:55 am 

TheVat » August 31st, 2019, 10:08 pm wrote:Don't miss the aurorae tonight, if you can get away from city light pollution.

Ha! The nearest metropolis is 3.5 km away - population +/-400, none of them rude or wasteful enough to leaves big glaring lights on at night. I'm going outside right now.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Science News Discussion Forum