I seek therefore I shall find.

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Postby JohnD on September 20th, 2019, 9:35 pm 

I know therefore I am.
I choose to believe therefore I know. When we acknowledge the existence of a possibility, we gain knowledge and thus we understand more.
I don’t possess the practical knowledge of a scientist however I know to ask the question and not to believe all that is stated as fact. The strongest most obstinate question in any language is “What if?”
What if what we believe as the least possible is the reality that persists? Science tells us there is a finite limit to the universe based on a calculation of visible mass. Yet there is always a persistent and unanswerable question of ‘what if?’
Similar questions should be persistent when considering climate change. Climate change is real, and no matter which theory is considered it remains and threatens us all. My what if question is ‘what if climate change is due to earth shift?’ Acceptance of earth shift is becoming more prevalent in science today as studies have shown the shifting of earth’s axis is measurable and will eventually tip the world to a new axial point. This earth shift could be the cause of climate change with polar melts, rising seas, varying temperatures, storms, etc…
Consider the possibility that with the axis shifting the existing movement of winds around the planet will be altering direction leading to confrontations. Polar ice melts as it shifts to a new location and will eventually reform at the new location.
JohnD

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: I seek therefore I shall find.

Postby JohnD on September 21st, 2019, 3:46 am 

An adendum to this post. I have been to our local shopping centre and a curious what if came to mind. We talk so much about the environment and have done so little. What struck me on my journey was how full the shops were. There was no want for any item. What happens to those things that are not sold? Food, clothing, furniture, toys, etc...? Do they go to land fill. See it's not just what we give up on and throw away, it's what we overproduce. I can imagine fields being occupied with this overproduction. We cannot excuse it by saying there are so many people in need because those people are still in need inspite of the overproduction. In the 90's we adopted the Japanese 'Just in time' model of production. Today it seems we have abandoned it in favor of having stores look full. Or maybe world trade is so warped that there is no where for production to go so it fills our stores with all manor of goods.
JohnD

Postby -1- on November 8th, 2019, 9:09 pm 

John D, the dump sites are full of garbage. So now we use shops, restaurants, and restrooms, as well as general stores to store our garbage. Not to mention the White House, the Kremlin, the congress, the stomach capacity of the Senate, and the cranial capacity of the POTUS.
-1-

Postby charon on November 9th, 2019, 12:11 am 

Depends what you're searching for. If it's Shangri La you probably won't :-)
charon

Postby JohnD on November 9th, 2019, 4:59 am 

charon » 09 Nov 2019, 14:11 wrote:

Depends what you're searching for. If it's Shangri La you probably won't :-)

Why would I not if I dare only to look in my own mind. True, if I venture to find it in this world at any time past, present or future, with all the characters of humankind it would not be possible. The world is a rag short of ruin and all anyone seems to care about is how much profit there is in it. No one seems to want to take notice of the people let alone all the other lives on the planet or even the planet itself.
JohnD

Postby JohnD on November 9th, 2019, 5:16 am 

What if, we could change the world just by doing things differently. Instead of looking to blame governments, who we all know are the most stupid of humankind, we take our own action and start doing things the right way. Don't buy the rubbish in the stores, not any of it. If you don't need it don't have it, be practical. If we all put our minds to this and took action I would propose that 80% of products in stores today would disappear. They really are not necessary. Most things we buy we throw away sooner or later in favour of something that looks better, or we are convinced works better, or as it is in most cases is sold better. Almost always not because we need it.
JohnD

Postby charon on November 9th, 2019, 8:26 am 

This sounds depressing. Not all the world is like this, just parts of it. There are plenty of places where people come first.

As for local actions in stores, etc, that's a very superficial thing, isn't it? You're right we should take action but the question is what? You and I aren't outside or separate from the world, we're part of it just like everybody else. If you want change you must lead by example. You must change, not wait for everybody else to change because they probably won't. If you become something different it'll affect others.

The question then is: what is change? It means not being like the sort of things or people you're describing, then you're not contributing to the mess.

And it is a mess, absolutely.
charon

Postby JohnD on November 9th, 2019, 4:55 pm 

charon » 09 Nov 2019, 22:26 wrote:This sounds depressing. Not all the world is like this, just parts of it. There are plenty of places where people come first.

Depressing yes. Not all people are like this but the world is, in all parts of it people consume too much - well beyond their needs. In life we have a singular vision, our own. It will take 7 billion individual actions to save the world.
charon » 09 Nov 2019, 22:26 wrote:As for local actions in stores, etc, that's a very superficial thing, isn't it? You're right we should take action but the question is what? You and I aren't outside or separate from the world, we're part of it just like everybody else. If you want change you must lead by example. You must change, not wait for everybody else to change because they probably won't. If you become something different it'll affect others.

Stores respond to individual desires fuelled by advertising that is forever luring people to consume more. Action at store level isn't superficial, it's necessary. Without such action what is will always be and nothing improves. A hundred years ago restraint in consumption was a practice that was taught to all the young, now we consume at will as if there is no impact to our actions. Yes it is about each individual taking action.
charon » 09 Nov 2019, 22:26 wrote:The question then is: what is change? It means not being like the sort of things or people you're describing, then you're not contributing to the mess.

And it is a mess, absolutely.

We are in agreement. That is why waiting for politicians to take action is a waste of time. Most of them have shown a lack of will to do anything while the rest debate what would be appropriate. Politicians weigh what to do against the restrictions on profitability it would cause. Our economies are based on companies being able to increase profit on an annual basis. Mostly, the ideal of saving the planet and all its inhabitants is shown to be no more than an advertising gimic aimed at generating more sales. Eco friendly is a joke, if they really wanted to be eco friendly they wouldn't manufacture the product in the first place.
JohnD

TheVat liked this post

Postby edy420 on November 15th, 2019, 8:02 pm 

The science on climate change is skewed by politicians.

Of course we have climate change.. we've always had it, always will.

Real science, is being able to measure natural climate change, and figure out the man made climate change that we have added.
Instead politicians pretend like man is fully responsible.

Id appreciate it, if politicians could give me some scientific numbers.. something like 'man made climate change has affected natural climate change by 1.34%'
Instead they just say, here's a new tax based on climate change, give me your money, thank you.
edy420

Postby JohnD on November 16th, 2019, 2:16 am 

Edy420 in my part of the world we have floods, droughts, wildfires, fish dieing in empty rivers and our politicians say there's no such thing as climate change. At the same time everything costs more this week than it did last week.
Actually science is as much to blame as they have not accurately determined how much change is natural or man made. At the same time they are telling us that the poles are shifting and have been all along but they don't articulate what this shift is doing to our cllimate.
We can only presume that there would be cross winds, storms rough seas, changing temperatures, rising seas, polar ice melts, snow storms, ... etc..
JohnD

Return to Anything Philosophy