spirit

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

spirit

Postby Dark X on January 8th, 2007, 5:45 pm 

what is the spirit? is it what drives us to do things? is it a conscience? do all creatures have spirit? could a spirit be "evil"? could it be "good"?
Dark X

Postby newyear on January 8th, 2007, 6:52 pm 

Spirit is ambition, purpose. This can be seen in all animal life.
I also hesitate to say that it also exists in the universe. In our solar system, all our planets have a reason that they move in a direction that prolongs life on this planet. I would presume that this also occurs in other solar systems, that there is order and purpose.
newyear

Postby Bulzeeb on January 8th, 2007, 7:24 pm 

A spirit is either the hardwiring illusion in our brains, or some shapeless sizeless will that is energy, or some other kind of property that we don't know of.

Though animals have shown to be more automatic then humans, we have yet to prove they are complete automatons, for there have been incriments of what one would say unatural behaviorisms for some animals that seem to deviate from survival and into more emotional behaviorism. We have yet to prove any sort of reason for this behaviorism.

Other then being energy, shapeless, sizeless, and a will, any other explanation seems impossible.

As for it being the tendency to be evil, I can't decide if it has the possibility of changing completely, or simply being effected merely in a human body. Does the human body make it evil? Or does it develope hateful attributes?

Because as I see it, if there is a heaven/afterlife/God plane, whatever you want to call it, I'd assume that the spirit would return to normal. Because it's no longer human, it has NO worries, it has NO pain, and no real challenges.

Although, at the very same time, it could possibly be still effected, and the anger and hatred would stick to it, and thus become apart of it, as it was the one who felt it. Ghosts (if they exist) would probably be that example of the anger and hatred that still sticks with them, and the resentment towards the other side.

Truely, we will never know until we reach the other side (if there is an afterlife).
Bulzeeb

Re: spirit

Postby Karenskitch on January 12th, 2007, 3:43 pm 

Dark X wrote:what is the spirit? is it what drives us to do things? is it a conscience? do all creatures have spirit? could a spirit be "evil"? could it be "good"?

Spirit is another word for soul, energy, consciousness.

Spirit is what drives, fuels, fires and rules all things. We are part of and connected to spirit.
If we are driven to do things, it is spirit that gives all energy.

It is not a conscience - it is a consciousness and connectedness that pervades all - conscience is a "voice" of that connectedness, whispering directions that would bring joy.

Every single thing has a spirit. Rocks, trees, water, air, people. If a spirit is construed as good or evil, it is merely through the choices the perceiver has made, not the spirit itself.

Spirit is what is eternal, does not die, is connected to and part of that which is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient.
Karenskitch

Postby Paul Anthony on January 12th, 2007, 8:50 pm 

In another sense of the word, spirit could be described as the emotions we experience. Much of what we do is dictated by basic instincts, the primary of these being survival. But, what causes a person to stand up to an injustice, putting themselves in jeopardy for the sake of an ideal? Certainly not survival!

We think, we make determinations and then we act. Logic may play a role in the first two stages, but it is spirit that makes the thought a reality.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby Dark X on January 12th, 2007, 11:48 pm 

thanx PA, that was what i was trying to post but didnt have the right words... i find myself in that situation much to often... i have the highest vocabulary in my class and its not enough.
Dark X

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology