infinite curvature

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

infinite curvature

Postby Event Horizon on April 19th, 2021, 7:06 pm 

Hi folks.

Recently someone asked me if a point has infinite curvature. I thought on it and came to the conclusion that if the diameter of a loop or sphere is greater than one Planck length its curvature is finite. But a point is, I believe, infinitely smaller and has no defined shape. My question is then, is there a scenario whereby something can be said to have infinite curvature, the curvature of an object like a sphere perhaps. The smaller the sphere the greater its curvature, but infinite curvature? I'm not so sure about that.

>Hi folks, I've been away again. Hopefully i'm back for good this time and its good to see so many familiar names still here.
Event Horizon

Re: What's the point?

Postby Faradave on April 19th, 2021, 9:20 pm 

Just as you can describe a limit to a sphere's curvature as radius goes to zero, you can describe the limit of a plane's flatness as its sides go to zero. They may each end up the same degenerate point. What "degenerates" is geometry. Can't build much with a single LEGO brick.
Faradave
Resident Member

Return to Physics